The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?

The Soft-Hackled Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles by Sylvester Nemes is my current fishing read, and for fiction The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. Both are quite enjoyable so far.
fysh likes this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 11-23-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dean,
I met Syl Nemes one evening in Island Park, we were both there for the 'Ranch' season opener. What a nice fella, we talked for well over an hour. Always hoped to see him again there, but he passed on. RIP Syl.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

John,
That's really cool. I like his book a lot. I've always gone to a couple different soft-hackled patterns when I'm beat and now after reading this, I'll probably not wait till I've been beat to tie one on. His approach in his research, writing, and the fishing is so easy, it's not hard to believe he was a nice and easy going gentleman as well.

But now I need to know, did he only fish soft-hackles to the PhD. Ranch Rainbows? And how did he do?
fysh likes this.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:29 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I believe he was from Cleveland. After I read his book my catch rate went way up, softhackles will always take up the most space in my box.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
But now I need to know, did he only fish soft-hackles to the PhD. Ranch Rainbows? And how did he do?

I would be willing to bet all he fished to them was a soft hackled fly, especially if considering the fact that 99% of the Ranch Fisherman spend their time fishing only a dry or a standard emerger pattern.(yea, I still fall into that 99%). I imagine he caught an inordinate amount of fish by not using whatever the masses were.

I was introduced to him by a friend one night in the old 'A-Bar' so we only chatted while sitting at the corner of the bar. I wish I would have been able to just sit on the bank of the river and watch him fish, that would have been a treat.

I recently acquired a 11' 9" 4wt two handed rod for fishing soft hackle flies, I can see myself fishing it on the waters of The Ranch next Summer, I'm sure It'll raise an eye brow or two from the ol' timers sitting on the bank waiting for that one big riser they been working all season.
imxer likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 11-30-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 AM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

Recently read "Steelhead Dreams " by Matthew Supinski. Awesome read for any great lakes steelheader.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
il_wi_fishing likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Just got Fly Rod Trouting by Ed Shenk.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Killing Lincoln, very interesting beginning with the focus to capture General Lee and his army. Lee was definitely a man of class, respected by the South and the North.

Dave
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Little David,

In the book 1858, Lee is portrayed and a very competent general who was against slavery, and yet treated his slaves like garbage.

Jefferson Davis, by contrast, was for slavery and treated his slaves like royalty.

I don't know what to make of Lee now.

Randy
Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I recently received this book that I ordered following the 2012 Salmon Symposium. The author, was also key note speaker for this 2 day colloquium of government agencies, NGO's and many others who have a vested interest in our salmon here. During the course of the 2 days I found him to be not only extremely knowledgeable but a likable sort as well. This book may provide some insight for those living in or fishing the Pacific North West for salmon. If you have children that you envision fishing the PNW in the future I would recommend it to you for their sake. Not exactly a light read but I've got a long winter ahead of me here

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;