The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?

With the amounts of time i spend traveling these off beat country roads and hiking wilderness i thought this would be a good read

Click the image to open in full size.

half way through and not disappointed
Hardyreels and itchmesir like this.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have Bradford's Wild Game Cook Book, he is an interesting fellow.

I have been browsing and reading 'A Book of Trout Flies' Preston Jennings. I managed to scoff up a first print from 1935 as new in the hard slip case. This old timer was an interesting type also.
il_wi_fishing likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

another one to add to the list arrived in the mail yesterday!

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I thought these had been lost for all time...my youngest daughter Ally, found them and returned them to me this past Saturday...

The recipe for the first fly I ever tied, from the above book...

PT/TB
Hardyreels and milt spawn like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I felt that.. though not a religious fellow.. It being one of the earliest pieces of literature on fly fishing that i should pick it up and give it a read.. needless to say it is not an easy read by anymeans.. Old English can be a pita to read.. But overall so far I enjoy it

PS: the ebook is free on amazon if anyone is interested in giving it a read
Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Anything and everything by CJ Box. Been a fan for years.

His Joe Pickett series revolves around a game warden, so much of it takes place in the outdoors. Don't let that fool you, though. His plots are brilliant, there is plenty of actions, and the characters are very realistic.

I finished reading Force of Nature a few months ago. The first paragraph in the book goes like this:

"HIS NAME was Dave Farkus, and he’d recently taken up
fly-fishing as a way to meet girls. So far, it hadn’t
worked out very well.

It is a good book. Better to read them in order, though. The first chapter is the only one that mentions fly fishing.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Old English can be a pita to read.
i know what your saying there, i tried reading moby dick and couldnt make it off the first chapter. i read it over and over a half dozen times and still couldnt understand half of it

maybe i need a bit more education

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Currently in the middle of Blue Lines: A Fishing Life by Tom Reed. Short essays of fun, easy reading.

Mike
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
i know what your saying there, i tried reading moby dick and couldnt make it off the first chapter. i read it over and over a half dozen times and still couldnt understand half of it

maybe i need a bit more education
Give "The Count Of Monte Cristo" (Dumas) a go. Not terribly difficult, but VERY descriptive! Ended up after about half way through, i bought the audio version.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

"How Nasa Builds Teams" Just ordered, supposedly a great read to build cohesiveness.

Also reading about chicken production, am wondering if I can time the chick arrival date and their age to efficient free ranging to our grasshopper season.

Moby Dick, that is a great book and need to read it again.

Dave