The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkins44 View Post
WALDEN over and over again. I can't get enough just motivates me to get lost along the river. I only wish I could convince my wife to move out to the middle of nowhere surrounded by forests and wildlife.
Patrick: I'm not quit living in the middle of nowhere, but Pinedale is pretty small, maybe 1600 people and I'm surrounded by water, lots of fishing to explore.

Larry
littledavid123 and pkins44 like this.

Larry
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Larry! We have been looking in the Idaho and Wyoming areas so right up our alley. I miss living in Door County with towns of 300-600 mostly.I'll have to look into Pinedale.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I got three new books for Christmas that I'm reading simultaneously. "To Build A Fire" is a collection of short stories by Jack London. I'm also reading "Standing in a River Waving a Stick" by Gierach, and "Incredible Fishing Stories."
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkins44 View Post
Thanks Larry! We have been looking in the Idaho and Wyoming areas so right up our alley. I miss living in Door County with towns of 300-600 mostly.I'll have to look into Pinedale.
Patrick: Not much in the way of jobs here, except for the oil/gas companies and that has down sized quite a bit since the natural gas price has dropped, basically it is production and vitually no drilling, doesn't bother me any as I'm retired, but just wanted to throw that out there. This is a hunting/fishing/hiking/horse riding paradise with the Wind and Wyoming ranges so close to town, lots of public land. We have the New Fork river flowing right through town, just to the west is the Green river, further west is the Hoback, then flowing through Jackson is the Snake river and there are numerous small feeder streams feeding the bigger water and I read that there is an estimated 800 lakes in the Winds alone. Near town you have Soda lake, Boulder lake, Meadow lake, Half Moon lake, Willow lake, etc.

Larry

Larry
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

just got "damned" by chuck palahniuk.
should be interesting

casey

ARFE
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Last week I finished reading "Snake River Fly Fishing--through the eyes of an angler" by Boots Allen. Very interesting reading and it gave me a much better understanding of where the public access points are and how to approach the river during the different seasons.
Click the image to open in full size.

This week I'm reading a book titled "Trout Lessons" by Ed Engle a fly fishing guide out of Colorado. I've just started this book, but so far it looks to be a very well written book.

Larry
milt spawn likes this.

Larry
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

In various stages of reading the following now:

1. Another lousy day in paradise - John Gierach
2. A Master's Guide to Building a Bamboo Fly Rod - Garrison/Carmichael
3. 8 by Carmichael - Hoagy Carmichael
4. A River Runs Through It - Maclean
5. John Adams - David McCullough
6. Streamers and Bucktails - Joseph D Bates
7. This Fiery Trial: The Speeches and Writings of Abraham Lincoln

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I'm working on several readings this month. Every day I read one poem each from Longfellow, Frost, and Whitman, as well as one chapter of Proverbs. I'm finding Frost insufferable. I've never got into poetry (except for memorizing the "Jaberwocky"), and I thought this would make a nice break from the historical novels I usually read.
littledavid123 and shotgunfly like this.

Last edited by pa dave; 01-11-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

pa dave likes this.