The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whatcha readin'?

Click the image to open in full size.

As you can see in the pic, I'm reading 'A Passion For Steelhead' by Dec Hogan. I've read it once and referenced it several times, but it's such a great read and treasure trove of information that it begs to be read again, and again. It's a permanent fixture on the coffee table.

So, whatcha readin'?
imxer, Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?

I'm nibbling away at that same book John, I got one from some friends as a gift this past August when they came to visit and go fishing Beyond that, I have been browsing Thomas Quinn's 'The Behavior & Ecology of Pacific Salmon & Trout' just some refresher reading there as well.

I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of 'Salmon 2100' from Bob Lackey who was Key Note at the Salmon Symposium just passed. And After that some Preston Jennings of Trout flies and fishing. So I'll be bending a few spines this winter along with everything else I hope to get done
fysh, mcnerney and williamhj like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread. Read through 5 of Gierach's books on the kindle over the past month or so. Now I need a new fly fishing book. I'm just reading stuff for work, which probably wouldn't interest many
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Got on this kick for tying classic Saltwater Flys . So for probably the 10th time I'm rereading Salt-Water Fly Fishing by George X Sand. Funny how some things seem so outdated in this 40 year old plus book and yet the majority of things are still as viable now as they were then! And the stories are wonderful! Guess that's why I have no problem reading it over and over! The last book I reread was an AJ McClane book and in it I found a 25year old letter from a guy who belonged to a club I was in and it had a diagram for building a better popper enclosed with the letter!
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I can never read just one book all the way through so I typically read 3 or 4 books at a time, right now I am reading three which sadly none for fishing though.

These two are truly not fun to read haha, but for the sake of my success sadly have to be read to help myself go further.
1. Cisco CCIE routing and switching cert book
2. Juniper JNCIA

I am a big pshcology nut, love reading books about the human mind or stories like this one.
3. The Mind of a Madman: Norway's struggle to understand Anders Breivik

If you are into stuff like that the book so far is very good and has great detail in what kind of person Anders Breivik is, if you don't know who he is google him and you will see what he did. It is a very sad story.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

After the horse trip into the Winds last August, I bought Rich Osthoff's books. I finished "Fly-Fishing in the Rocky Mountain Backcountry" which was and excellent read. Currently I'm reading John's book "Active Nymphing" which also is an excellent book. John has developed some specialty flies for prospecting the backcountry and details the tying instructions, so my next project will be to learn how to tie some of his flies.

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Finishing the last of a trio of fine biographies of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris, Colonel Roosevelt. The first, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt won the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award in 1980. The sequel, Theodore Rex, won the LA Times Book Prize for biography in 2002. All highly recommended. milt.
Hardyreels, mcnerney, Sep and 1 others like this.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?L

Funny thing about reading books about fly fishing from diffrent eras, you realize the kids game of telephone applies! Each book I read has a different formula, some slight some major for the same flies. And not just one pattern a whole bunch. Example one book has the Gibbs Striper fly tied with all bucktail blue , white and red. The next one has the blue tied with saddle hackles and no red. And another has a jungle cock eye where as others have India hen with red marabou. And best of all they all claim to be the original tie and got their info directly from the creator! Makes the reading that more interesting especially when you go on the Internet and they have another formula all together! I'll bet the creators of some of these great patterns if they could come back from the grave would be amazed at how so many interpretations of their creations are written!

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

You guys that tie those classic salmon patterns must go crazy !
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?L

my winter reading...
Click the image to open in full size.
Currently workin on the last one of the lot, Creative Salmon Fly Art vol 1
Next will be the three oldies in the middle
Francis Francis - A Book on Angling
Sir Herbert Maxwell - Salmon and Sea Trout
JJ Hardy - Salmon Fishing
Then the dry fly books, which got on loan, but will likely end up buying my own copies.
imxer and Hardyreels like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

FYSH,

"Big Stoney", Howard t Walden
If you have ever read this you might agree that there are several members of
this Forum who would fit right in with this group of guys & their Trout water.

"The Best of Corey Ford"
A series of articles from Field & Stream. never tire of Ford's humor.

Anything on FF by Charles Brooks

Paul
Hardyreels likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY