The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weird Thanksgiving event...

Yesterday I was at a friends for Thanksgiving and saw the weirdest thing I have seen in a while. The lady of the house took a glass bowl and put dressing in it. She then set it on the kitchen counter next to the stove, but not really close. She then started doing something else. A good three or four minutes after she set the bowl with the dressing in it down, it exploded. That is the proper word to. Exploded. It sent tiny bits of glass everywhere. It blew up with enough force that it basically removed all of the glass from beneath the dressing which seemed to be blown outward to some extent and was laying on the counter with a donut hole in the center. The bowl was not bumped, banged or in anyway touched. It was just setting there and POW! Glass everywhere.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird Thanksgiving event...

Wow, she must be using some HIGH Octane dressing!
jpbfly likes this.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If the dressing was hot from the bird / oven and the bowl was not, I would expect that was behind the event. I haven't had anything 'pop' in years but my last was a big Pyrex Measuring cup, you know the ones, clear oven tempered glass............I poured some hot chicken stok into it so I knew how much I had and.............. like you said, Pow! The chicken broth was probably harder to clean up
mcnerney and jpbfly like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

it's an attack Dan,someone wanted to prevent you from catching big fish...knew Larry would read this...weird is is favorite word
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, Guest1 and cowpokey like this.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I told my sister about it and she had the sme thing happen. Like Ard it was Pyrex, as was the bowl with the dressing. She talked to Pyrex when it happened to her. It seems they had a bunch of pyrex and revere ware that would weaken with use and then explode. She got hers replaced with an unexplodable version.

It was amazing the force it blew up with. Elaine was standing pretty close and it's a wonder she was not hurt. It left her standing in socks in the midst of broken glass. Not to mention the speed that the glass shards went flying away at.

How close were you and what amount of time did it take for the soup to 'splode your measuring cup Ard?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yeah, i had a similar occurrence with a pyrex baking dish... a really big 11" x 14" one.
i was baking a ham and had the pyrex in the oven to catch any basting drippings. after 3 1/2 hours the ham was done so i pulled the pyrex out and stuck it in one of my stainless sinks, then without thinking, tuned the water on
sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun blast! luckily no one was home, but needless to say, there was glass all over the place including the entire garbage disposal full of it...what a pain in the rear that was to clean up!

casey

ARFE
Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I need to think back on that one, unbelievable but I have much clearer memories about long past fishing experiences than I do about cooking It was the big measuring cup and if I recall I left it sit on the counter while I poured the broth into it. Now remember the broth was not boiling (I'm not that silly) but it was hot yet. I poured it up to the 4 cup mark and by the time I sat the pot back on the stove top I heard a 'Craccck', I looked at it and it just sort of collapsed outward. It wasn't a shrapnel type thing but that broth was as is often the case loaded with all the naturally occurring fats associated with cooking down a chicken. The chunks of the glass measure were fairly big save for a few hard to spot shards but it was a multi bucket cleanup detail until I got things under control.

I do hope that there was additional dressing beyond what was involved in the 'blowed up sir' incident. If you looked at Casey's thread about Thanksgiving Favorites, you saw that I cover my game real well in the stuffing / dressing department. Doing the dinner going forward without the dressing would have me messed up for days. I'm talking rashes, possible constipation, and blurred vision
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned

Sounds like your did not explode with the force this one did, but like yours, this was not an immediate upont hitting it either. Most of the pieces left from the one here were small. The only real sort of big one was from the bottom and had the "Oven Safe - Microwave Safe" on it. It had cracks in it where not a single piece was even 1/4" wide intact. The longest piece without a crack was maybe an inch. the vast majority were small enough to fit about 50 of them in a film can.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I knew there must be some reason I don't cook...too dangerous!
Guest1 likes this.