The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default First snowmobile on the river.

I went to town today and saw the first snowmobile go down the river since it froze over. Not to say that it is thick enough to be safe to do that though. The guy that did it is not what I'd call....... Bright. He went all the way to the Resorts. About twelve miles. He told a guy I know he was going to have to go back because he lost a set of goggles. There's a good idea, slow down and stop.

Ten years or so ago, I pulled up to the Wheelers Point boat access. There was a small boat next to the dock and a guy standing there looking into the water. About the time I got out of the truck, another small boat came in and went around the front of the first boat. At that point the first guy starts yelling, "Hey you idiot! Can't you see my truck is down there?" That's about the time I notice a small orange '76' antenna ball just above the water. Yah, who was the idiot there? I was forced to laugh. Guess what the two stories have in common? Same driver.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First snowmobile on the river.

Dan

Great story and a good laugh, thanks!
That reminds me of when I lived in Fairbanks, the Chena river would freeze up in the winter and folks would take a short cut into town by driving across the river, well every spring someone would push the limits and drive across the river only to find the ice too thin.

Larry

Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

And the funny part is he was calling the other guy an idiot!
mcnerney and Guest1 like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Is he training for the Darwin Awards?
mcnerney and Guest1 like this.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a neighbor that put his snowmobile through a few years back. He went home, changed clothes, and took the four wheeler back to pull it out. It floated, sort of, because of the foam seat. Anyway, he gets up to it and put the four wheeler through to. He didn't get that one back as far as I ever heard.

I used to work 10 hours a day on a snowmobile on the lake. The things I have seen. I should write them all down before I forget them. I saw a lot of funny stupid things in the summer, but the winters by far had more 'stupidity' going on.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

these are the same type of riders that get really PO'd when their sled goes thru the ice. can ya say.....COMMON SENSE!
I get nervous ridin across lakes that are safe even. much prefer solid ground, but when we go to Northern Wisc. in january, ya have no choice i guess.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just about every season a few people go into open water somewhere here in Alaska. I don't recall too many being recovered. When these rivers have open water or very thin ice it is because the river is very deep and swift in that area. If you drive a snowmachine or anything else into the waters both machine and rider are almost always lost.

I was 90 miles up the Matanuska River today and there is a lot of open water yet. I was surprised because of the temperatures but the September / October flooding is still having some effect in water levels. There was an unbelievable amount of rainfall here. Had this happened in the lower 48 it would have been front page for a month. I did hear just today that the President has declared many regions in Alaska as Federal Disaster areas and granted aid to people here.

I won't be on the rivers with the machine until after Christmas.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Maybe that is how he cleans his trucks, just drives them into rivers hahaha
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I was surprised because of the temperatures but the September / October flooding is still having some effect in water levels. There was an unbelievable amount of rainfall here.
We got tons of rain here to. In just the last couple of weeks the river has come up almost two feet. That should make for good ice huh? I'm pretty sure that's due to the hydroelectric plant at the dam at the head of the river. It's been to cold for rain except the drizzle that covered everything in ice a week ago.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

the river wasn't deeply frozen...but looks like this guy's brain is
bigjim5589 and Guest1 like this.