The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: You live in Florida and your pet snake get too big, now what?

I turn into a little girl when I see a little snake, if I saw I python I don't even want to see my reaction hahaha I never like seeing people hunt one species endlessly to rid of it, but sometimes that is the thing that needs to be done, obviously those snakes do not belong there, but going off how uncommon common sense is these days, I could see some bad things happening. I wouldn't mind trained professionals hunting these animals, but to let people freely chase these things I would not agree with.

Either way though snakes are creepy haha
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

I get mad at the knuckleheads "set their pets free" when they can't take care of them any more. My wife decided to turn some hamsters loose when she finally realized rodents aren't cute when you have to clean their cage constantly or they'll leave your house smelling like ****. I doubt they were a threat to become an invasive species with all of the neighborhood cats running around...not to mention the red fox(es) that would wander through the yard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Maybe I should move down there and start a boot making company.
That made me chuckle.

****Urine
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I lived south Florida a while back. Gators never bothered me much. Iguana's were a problem, but were eventually controlled. Now snakes? Ever see the tv show Gator Boys? That's the area I fished for Peacock bass in. Everglades Holiday Park. The beginnings of Alligator Alley. Nice little concession stand there for a quick meal or much needed refeshments. I got to know some locals there. They all gave me the advise. When you're walking the canals and the grass is higher than you can see the ground...DON'T. I asked ...gators...iguana's? Dont' fret them much Mike. Snakes is the problem. I'm like...yeah, ok. Took my cold one and headed down the path to the yellow gate. TREPASS AT YOUR OWN RISK...the sign said. So I sip my beverage, light a cig, and tromp ahead. Not even a dozen steps. I see a python. Like 1000 feet long.(9 foot actually). Never knew my chubby lil body could pick them up & put them down like that. As for population control? Grilled python steaks!
fredaevans and rockriver like this.

Last edited by okuma; 12-11-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I try hard to look at this issue from all views, I've read about it for years and have a pretty good knowledge of it.
There are people hunting these animals and they do receive a bounty on snakes, they remove a decent amount of animals but nothing that is going to remove such a prolific species.

Say that 17 ft snake was a female, she could lay a few dozen eggs each year, those snakes mature in a few years and go on to breed themselves, that's a lot of snakes! The problem is that we have introduced these animals (intentionally and unintentionally) into an environment that could not be any better outside of their native habitat, they fill a niche left by extirpated and removed species. I am not justifying these animals, but does this news piece explain why they are such a threat? no. You also never hear of the dozens of other invasive alien species in florida, such as; iguanas, veiled chameleons, cuban knight anoles, nile monitors, feral cats, walking catfish, gambian pouched rats, and even monkeys

All of these animals are out of place and not good for the environment, but most are so widely established that there is little hope to control them, or the care to. So I'm sorry that I get frustrated when the bigger problem is being overlooked, such as habitat destruction and water pollution.
Why try to save the animals affected by these IAS when we just plan on building a mall over that swamp?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Make rod tube Covers with the skins
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: You live in Florida and your pet snake get too big, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
I lived south Florida a while back. Gators never bothered me much. Iguana's were a problem, but were eventually controlled. Now snakes? Ever see the tv show Gator Boys? That's the area I fished for Peacock bass in. Everglades Holiday Park. The beginnings of Alligator Alley. Nice little concession stand there for a quick meal or much needed refeshments. I got to know some locals there. They all gave me the advise. When you're walking the canals and the grass is higher than you can see the ground...DON'T. I asked ...gators...iguana's? Dont' fret them much Mike. Snakes is the problem. I'm like...yeah, ok. Took my cold one and headed down the path to the yellow gate. TREPASS AT YOUR OWN RISK...the sign said. So I sip my beverage, light a cig, and tromp ahead. Not even a dozen steps. I see a python. Like 1000 feet long.(9 foot actually). Never knew my chubby lil body could pick them up & put them down like that. As for population control? Grilled python steaks!
STRONG Candidate for: "Post of the Day."

Thank God I'd swallowed my coffee before I read the above. 'Snorting coffee' really is uncomfortable.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

They can't have their cake and eat it too!

The same folks whom state, looking out the backyard window could prove detrimental to some indigenous species, are also the fist to say a introduced species will be impossible to eradicate??? It's not worth the risk of human life to hunt the snakes but, there is no law preventing me from driving thru a Chicago slum!

"Kill, I want to see dead burnt bodies, blood and veins in my teeth...Kill Kill Kill" Quote from Alices Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie.

Dave
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Dont even get me started on invasive species, our beloved lake michigan has taken a beating. Zebra muscles, gobies, now the f***ing asian carp. Most stem from irresponsible pet owners, agriculture applications and poor judgement.

Nature does have a way for evening things out but look at snakeheads and the impact on fisheries. It wasn't long ago these were sold retail in the aquarium and fish stores across the country.

I'm in favor of the "snake hunt" if you will not as a form of complete eradication but more population control

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpokey View Post
My wife decided to turn some hamsters loose
My sister has friends that own two Border Collies (sp?). They work all day and Border Collies need to keep busy so they got a couple of Guinea Pigs. They put thek in the back yard and the dogs spend all day keeping the Guinea Pigs from escaping into the wild of Billings. I thought it was pretty cool. :thumbup
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
Most stem from irresponsible pet owners, agriculture applications and poor judgement.
Don't forget government procrastination. There are very few examples of a Fisheries or whatnot acting in time to do real good. In most cases it needs to be well past disaster time for any kind of response. Then there are the bucket biologists who think they know better than fisheries and don't want to have to drive far for a species of fish and start their own 'private stocking program'. I really hate those guys. Then there are the people that think some pretty plant should be in their yard and let it run wild, like Dandylions and Kudzu or whatever that vine that is swallowing the South is named.

The pet thing brings to mind the Piranha record from Wisconson. I think that record stood for years. Wisconsin!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Then there are the people that think some pretty plant should be in their yard and let it run wild, like Dandylions and Kudzu or whatever that vine that is swallowing the South is named.
I have friends who live in north Georgia that we often visit and the Atlanta news station would give Kudzu reports of before and after it had taken over something in just a matter of days. That stuff grows so fast it can catch a small calf.

Dave