The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: You live in Florida and your pet snake get too big, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post

Don't forget government procrastination.

yeah, lets not even bring that up. Asian carp by the thousands are just knocking on the doorstep of the great lakes and all the bureaucratic red tape that needs to be cut through

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You should see the bologna built into the system. I'm not joking, you could get rid of about 2/3 of most fisheries personel, cut the red tape by about 90% and have a fisheries dept that was about 1000% better.

While I'm at it, I seriously dislike the public input portion of a lot of things. In the wrong area with the wrong public attitudes politics over rule what's actually good for the fishery. There are examples whjere it has been good, but just as many where it's not. Take the Lake Sturgeon here for example. Some of my favorite inputs were ones like "Canadian First Nation people are stocking the heck out of Sturgeon to eat Walleye eggs, wipe out Walleye and take the area over as a Sanctuary for the 'sacred' Sturgeon." Yah, there's a guy you want to listen to. Unfortunately, there were a real large percentage of people that made stupid input like that and it took years and three regulation changes to get the one that should have been done the first time.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:30 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I have no problem with shoot on sight. It's the same thing with Lake Trout in Yellowstone Lake.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

What Fred?You never ate python steak? How about grilled gator tail?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
...you could get rid of about 2/3 of most fisheries personnel, cut the red tape by about 90% and have a fisheries dept that was about 1000% better.
You could get rid of about 2/3 of most XXX personnel, cut the red tape by about 90% and have an XXX dept that was about 1000% better.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
What Fred?You never ate python steak? How about grilled gator tail?
Never had Python, but have eaten Alligator.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
You could get rid of about 2/3 of most XXX personnel, cut the red tape by about 90% and have an XXX dept that was about 1000% better.
Words to strike fear into the heart of even the strongest man: "Hi, I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help you."
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
they fill a niche left by extirpated and removed species
Which extirpated and removed specie ate aligators? Dinosaurs?

Quote:
You also never hear of the dozens of other invasive alien species in florida, such as; iguanas, veiled chameleons, cuban knight anoles, nile monitors, feral cats, walking catfish, gambian pouched rats, and even monkeys
The 2 1/2' long rats that cats are scared of was only covered by AP, Fox News, USA today and every paper in Florida for a short period of time. If Hollywood had started a series like "Dancing with the Rats" everyone would know about it.

However, if anyone, and I mean anyone had put a $1,000 bounty on each one them, when the Pet Rat Raising genius entrepaneur on Grassy Key let the first 8 go after realizing that pet rat owners didn't want to have 6 foot cages in their living rooms for one rat - there would be none down here now, and the problem would have been solved for $8,000.

And it's still not too late - but government is involved. Fl. Fish and Wildlife eventually put together a "rat eradication task force" which worked for who knows how long, costing who knows how much - and they are still here. If anyone were to put a $250 bounty on each of them now, while they still may be limited to the Keys, one million dollars (about the cost of a single residential building lot in several towns in CT) would take care of 4,000 of the "estimated" 100 of them still left. If the estimate is correct – they could give each rat catcher a retroactive $250 bonus per rat and still get rid of them for the cost of one Lexus and donate the balance to the Python bounty.

Now for the cost of 10 nice homes in Greenwich, New Caanan or Darien, a bounty of $200/python and $50 per python egg that had been already laid and videoed in the field, would result in funds for a minumum of 250,000 pythons if not even one egg were turned in.

The rest of the invasive species, like lion fish, would best be handled in the same manner - just like the pike minnow which only pays 4-$8 per fish.

Quote:
BPA funds the program to partially mitigate for the impact of the Columbia River hydroelectric system on salmon. Results indicate the program is successful. Since 1990, over 3.9 million northern pikeminnow have been removed by the Sport Reward Fishery. Predation on juvenile salmonids has been cut by an estimated 40%.
2012 Northern Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery: Program Information

Now that the Everglades, Yellowstone, Yosmite and so many other parks are under United Nations jurisdiction by international treaty, I don’t think we have to worry about shopping malls in them – so long as US Citizens are still permitted to visit them. Shopping Malls are visable. The UN desiginated Yellowstone an “Endangered Biosphere” years ago, for instance, and UN Inspectors designated the surrounding area a “Buffer Zone. Then, in collusion with Clinton, shut down a mine OUTSIDE the park, and the US Taxpayer footed the bill to pay the mining company.

I agree with you that pollution (along with commercial fishing) are the major problems we face in fishing, but invasive species are relatively easy to deal with by comparrison, and both pyhons and lionfish are much easier to control than our umbrella korporate government, which pervades all aspects of our life even down to our front lawns.. To combat this can take a lot of time and can result in a lot of enemies.

For instance, I live in a place with a “Homeowners Association”. The bylaws state that I must water and fertilize my lawn and keep it free of cinch bugs or face fines and or Liens against my property. I told the board of directing Nazis that I refused to fertilize, water or poison my lawn, and that my well trimmed creeping charlie and weeds were as green as their lawns, don’t requlire anything but rain water, and that cinch bugs don’t eat weeds or creeping charlie.

So just take me to court, because I won't pay your fines. And we’ll see if the judge orders me to poison the ocean flood plain my stilt house is on 30 yds from the flat that only 14 years ago was still alive with bonefish and all manner of flats life. I’ve not had any trouble over the issue since and "The Board" avoids me whenever possible.

In 1990 or so, I spent two weeks writing an article about the complete devastation – the total death - of thousands and thousands of acres of turtle grass, and the total defoliation of all mangrove trees within that area of Florida Bay. I interviewed, by phone, 3 people from the Everglades Park Service.and was given total bullshit that a brain dead orangutang wouldn’t have bellieved.

Unfortuntely, I was stupid, and didn’t try to contact and enlist the aid of Marjorie Stoneman Douglas first, not realizing that even at 100 years old in 1990, she still had huge political juice and still possessed a razor sharp mind – right up until shortly before her death 8 years later. I have no idea, being a nobody, if I could have even gotten a message to her, but I should have thought of trying.

The article was not published by Field and Steam – being a scathing indictment of the Parks Service. Instead, it was returned, then several months later an article appeared in that publication on the devastation written by a contributing editor who basically parroted the Park Service’s unsubstantiated “theories” – none of which were based on actual chemical water samples taken from Taylor Slough where the death plague originated. Taylor Slough is the main eastern outlet into Fl. Bay from the “River of Grass”. It is now “Closed to the public to “Protect Wildlife Habitat”. That is the term used by the Park Service instead of “National Security “ . Everglades National Park Boating Page

The report published by the Park Service chief about the wave of death reads like a script from “Ancient Aliens”. “Is it possible?” “Could there be a connection between simultaneous total defoliation of mangroves and the total death of miles and square miles of turtle grass? ‘In Puerto Rico …” It’s ****ing sickening.

So, though I agree with you about pollution, and try to combat it and wake others up to it when possible. I feel the same as you; that organizations like that “Bonefish and Tarpon” outfit are generally worse than useless in that they suck money into tagging fish and “reseach” that is totally immaterial to the real problem. I’ve fished the Glades and The Keys since the early 50’s and have seen the incredibly massive damage caused by pollution – the majority of it by korporate agribusiness, but not all, by any means.

But pythons, 2 foot rats, lionfish, pike minnows and the like are also real threats to the environment and can be controlled by ordinary citizens very cheaply if we are “allowed” to do so in the land of the free.

Sorry for long rant.

PS edit
Quote:
Maybe I should move down there and start a boot making company.
Dan, I just checked for pytho skins on the internet. $225 for one 9 feet long. Tim Borski has been killing them up there for several years now. I'll find out how he got his permit and see about getting one. You can make boots, hat bands, belts in your garage and I'll supply you with the skins. Check out the potential for Rat Fur coats while you're at it.

Last edited by wjc; 12-12-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Bottom line is they're invasive and causing trouble. And if there is one thing humans can do, it's exterminating a species. I'm on team See 'em Kill 'em. Just as long you know what you're looking at.....
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

Dan, You'd better be careful with that idea. If you developed a market for Burmese Python leather the Feds might turn around and protect them as a valueable resource, LOL.