The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default You live in Florida and your pet snake get too big, now what?

Easy, you dump 'it' off in the Everglades. Bad answer!!

Why Florida’s Giant Python Hunting Contest Is a Bad Idea | Observations, Scientific American Blog Network

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-10-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Fixed Title
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: You live in Florida and your pet snane get too big, now what?

I read that Fred and if we had 17 foot long snakes killing everything in store here while reproducing at will, not to mention being an invasive species...................... I really wouldn't care who hunted and killed them one little bit. I believe the people who are worried about whether this is a good idea or not may be part of the 'We should study the problem more before taking any actions for fear they may be wrong' group that seems to get involved in everything these days.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that going off half cocked is a good plan of action but there are a couple of old sayings that come to mind regarding the article and the Snake Hunt.

1. Regarding the snake hunt: "For God's sake man, do something even if it's wrong".

2. Regarding those who find fault with the idea: "Some people won't be happy if you hung them with a new rope"
imxer, fredaevans and rockriver like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: You live in Florida and your pet snake get too big, now what?

I really do not see this ending well, I like snakes, I understand the threat these pythons pose, and know that they do not belong, but this is a problem that will not be fixed, these snakes have been established since the early 90's

now I do agree with removing and destroying the snakes, but I don't think it should be left to anyone who is not completely qualified and competent to do so.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For context, Snake have their places, and most were there far longer than we. Let them do their thing. Introduced?

Another issue?

Years back and a really great Golf Course in the north end of Santa Rosa, CA. Hill side 'ruff?' Signs said 'Rattle Snakes: Don't even think about looking for your ball.'
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

It's gone on too long. The pythons are established; I don't think it's possible to remove them. A hunting season might be one way to control them, but how effective will it be? I don't know--there's a lot of the everglades that's hard to access by humans but not by snakes.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM

BR, there are times where "Man" has screwed it up, and times where Man has to unwind?

Just thoughts from thousands of miles away from: 'Not my problem.'
Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: You live in Florida and your pet snane get too big, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
1. Regarding the snake hunt: "For God's sake man, do something even if it's wrong".
I'm sticking with that one, and I hope you guys know that it is not my intention to be disagreeable on issues but............

By the time the United States began sending fighting men to Europe the armies of Adolf Hitler occupied almost all of Europe proper excepting the United Kingdom. It took years and the cost in life was incredible but things were turned around. Incidentally my Father was landed on the beach of Normandy France in June 1944 and his unit had advanced themselves by December of 44' to be caught up in what was to become known as The Battle of The Bulge. He was one of the few members of his company to survive when they were overrun by a fast moving force which came without warning. Because of his life experiences I was raised with the "For God's sake man, do something even if it's wrong" attitude when faced with an imminent threat.

I realize that trying to eradicate this invasive will be a long and hard fight and would suggest a Bounty be placed on the target species so that the novelty of a round up will not wear off.

It could be said that I am an environmentalist and I understand the possible consequences of hundreds or thousands of unskilled people venturing into the Florida bush hunting for Pythons. However I have to subscribe to the thinking that every one that is destroyed is one less that will breed and who will continue to destroy native species.
mysticm likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

The hunt is an interesting issue. I'm also concerned that other species are not destroyed by mistake and that the BPs are dispatched humanely. At least at the present, I'm ready to put my faith in the outdoorsmen/women who are willing to respond and the State training program. A few really cold winters would help too.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Ard,

I agree with you 100% The only hope is a bounty, and one large enough to make it worthwhile. I read somewhere, possibly here , where a western river was being over run by pike minnows or some such odd name, and the power company put a bounty on them. The champion pike minnow slayer made over $50,000 catching them one year, yet the cost was miniscule compared to any other solution (including doing nothing), the money remained in the community, and the invasives numbers were quickly reduced radically.

No doubt there would be enterprising guys running long trap lines, and making good money doing it, both on the bounties and the hides.

Unfortunately, government never likes citizens taking care of themselves or their own problems in an uncomplicated, sensisble way.
imxer, Guest1 and littledavid123 like this.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should move down there and start a boot making company.