The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Fly Fishing Magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
and a fly casting exhibition by Jack Sharkey and Ted Williams at the Miami sportsman's show in the mid-late 50's that solidified the interest. .
Seeing Mr Williams cast made a big impression on me as well.
My dad took the family to the Sportsman Show in Boston for a few years in a row when we were in the market for our first camping trailer.
I was much more interested in the programs happening at the pool area.
I remember that they had stuff like log rolling, alligator wrestling, bear wrestling, and of course the fly casting demos by Jack Sharkey and Mr Williams.
I remember that they'd open the doors and Ted would cast over the pool, out the door, through the lobby and out on to Boylston Street.
That was very impressive to a little kid.

I was a fan of the The Flying Fisherman, Gadabout Gaddis too.
That was must-see-tv in my house.

(He sold a lot of Wonderrods )
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

No it was definitely Pat McManus. Besides Retch, Rancid Crabtree was the old man who lived in a shack and liked his booze as I recall. I also remember the "Lower Forty" but that author's name you mentioned is not familiar. Maybe he took over that section from someone else. I'll do a search.

You're absolutely right, it was Corey Ford who wrote the great column "The Lower 40". I used to really like that column. Wonder why the author's name never stayed in my mind. Could it be because of the 1950 Ford 2 door I had?

Last edited by wjc; 12-13-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Someone's going to have to step in here as I'm a blank on the name(s) but the precursor(s) to today's Salmon Trout Steelheader. First was like a small news paper then up-graded to a full on magazine (both went down the tube).

Fred
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
No it was definitely Pat McManus. Besides Retch, Rancid Crabtree was the old man who lived in a shack and liked his booze as I recall. I also remember the "Lower Forty" but that author's name you mentioned is not familiar. Maybe he took over that section from someone else. I'll do a search.

You're absolutely right, it was Corey Ford who wrote the great column "The Lower 40". I used to really like that column. Wonder why the author's name never stayed in my mind. Could it be because of the 1950 Ford 2 door I had?
Maybe I remembered it because of the 1940 Ford coupe I had?
Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY