The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Land Rover - Sorta fishing related

Subaru's are cheaper and run FOREVER. Nicknick222 that is a sweet ride you got.
mcnerney and caseywise like this.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
They have some nice features such as live axles front and rear and v8's. The mid 90s discoverys were plagued with electrical problems.

I want to say that Ford owns them now and they seemed to have worked out some of the electrical problems. The new models seem to have some of the kinks worked out but they come with a hefty price tag.
Ford sold them, they used to own them. I forget who bought them, but Ford no longer owns any other company than themselves and Lincoln.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I liked driving them (had these for company use 1999 - 2002) they were the Discovery models loaded with all the options. Never had a glitch but didn't pay for the upkeep so I was OK with them. If you really want to go off road and get stuck now and then I would not buy such an expensive vehicle to do that with. An old CJ or any of the newer stripped down Jeeps is a pretty good trail ride. I would love to pick up an old jeep for use in the Interior here. Don't get me wrong the Land Rovers had an enormous Zoot factor but I would be sick if I scraped one up on a stump or large rock.

Ard
There will come a time in my life when I will have a dedicated fishing ride and an older CJ would be on that short list no doubt, as well as older Toyota Landcruiser FJ-40s. I don't need such a ride now for where I fish, where I spend a number of hours in the car traveling long distances, then when I get to my destination I have only but a couple of miles on moderate trails. One key issues is those moderate trails turn to **** in a hurry when the weather turns to significant rain or snow and ice and they rut up really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
Ford sold them, they used to own them. I forget who bought them, but Ford no longer owns any other company than themselves and Lincoln.
They're actually owned by the same ownership that owns Jaguar now.

I owned trucks for a significant part of my life. However, I sold my last 4x4 for a sedan in 2004 and have been driving a sedan ever since - I live in downtown Chicago and have for the past 11 years. I've never been a big fan of SUVs and a truck is no longer an option for me at this point in my life. Most of the SUV's now are even going away from the "truck type" platform to more of a car/cross over platform - look at the Ford Explorer I saw driving down the road the other day. Big AWD wagon. Pass.

There are two rides that I've considered, the Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I price this out I'm over $50K. The other is the Land Rover LR4, which I price out to $60K.

Or I can get a used ride for $15K and sell my wifes ride and give her my new sedan... That gives me my sedan for business and my wife a wonderful car. It also gets me back into a 4x4 for fishing, smoking cigars and not really giving a damn. But this ride has to sell to my bride who would have to drive it on occassion. The only 4x4 I'm going to be able to convince her to ride is a Rover and I've been working on it for a while. I've got a great mechanic who specializes in German and Brittish autos. I'm just wondering if I go the used Rover route, how often am I gonna have to visit him? I like Richard, but not that much.

I'll probably drive the sedan for a couple more years, wait for Rover to make some changes I would like them to make on that LR4, and see what comes of it...
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the looks of the older Land Rover (NICE Nick!), and Toyota Land Cruisers. The older Land Cruisers are actually pretty pricey when they come up for sale. I bought a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $1,000 4 years ago (almost to the day). It had 175,000 miles when I bought it, and now has 213K. We've treated it pretty badly, but do maintain it. Despite our best efforts to get it stuck in ridiculous snow, and off-road mud and snow, it's NEVER left us stuck. I did put new brakes on when I bought it: $150 total for rotors, and 2 hours time to install. They're very easy to work on! I also had a new muffler installed, and new front brake pads last spring. It's fully loaded with instrumentation and leather seats, and I bought it because I needed a quick 4X4. I was NOT expecting it to last trouble-free for four years. There are a zillion Grand Cherokees for sale, and they're a dime a dozen. It's been my experience that the 94-99 series is the most reliable, along with an inline 6 engine. Parts are very inexpensive, and available at any chain store.

Our Jeeps:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
Tata motors
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Because I don't want or like Chevys. Nothing against Chevrolet just not my thing.
I know what you mean; I feel the same way about Fords.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
Tata motors
There we go, my brain stops working when I have been up to long haha
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

I have an '06 LR3 HSE and love it, will definitely upgrade to a LR4 sometime in the future. I STRONGLY suggest getting one in the certified preowned or with an extended warrant because they are super expensive to fix.