The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Land Rover - Sorta fishing related

Anyone drive a Land Rover? I've been thinking about getting one for a while and have read countless reviews on them. I see some commentary about dependability issues but that doesn't seem to be an issue on some of the newer ones. I'd love to have one for my fishing ride.

Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Land Rover - Sorta fishing related

a nice vehicle, a friend of mine had 1, theirs seemed to go thru brakes quickly, and expensive. they now have a hybrid...
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

What kind of Rover are you looking at?

Ive got my 97 defender 90 and love it to death. Obviously its not a city driver but thats not the point is it? Good friend of mine has a tricked out discovery which is very good as well. He does some crazy stuff I would never do and he has over 200k miles on it and its still going strong.

The new LR4 and HSE are both very capable as well. Have some family who has a sport and it is also very capable offroad, comfortable and good all around.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

They have some nice features such as live axles front and rear and v8's. The mid 90s discoverys were plagued with electrical problems.

I want to say that Ford owns them now and they seemed to have worked out some of the electrical problems. The new models seem to have some of the kinks worked out but they come with a hefty price tag.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Nick I'd love to have a Defender. Those are awesome. I'm looking at early to mid 2000's Discovery models or 2012/13 LR4 off the lot. The more research I do the more problems I seem to find with those older Discos...
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I have had 2 Rovers. Both '06 RRs...one a Sport and one A big dog supercharged.

People say that if you got the money to buy one you better have the money to fix one...they aren't lying (at least after the warranty runs out). Electrical problems, mechanical problems, you name it and I had it...but I still LOVED both of them. My one piece of advice is get a pre-owned warranty...it will pay for itself in the long run. Additionally, DO NOT take it to the dealer for service if its not under warranty...they really take advantage of you and I found out the hard way with a transmission problem on the supercharged (which is why I got rid it).
I know I sound salty towards the brand but these cars are known for their issues. Don't get me wrong...They both were one of the best riding SUVs I have ever driven and I wouldn't hesitate to get another (with an extended warranty of course!)
For now here is my fishing/kid hauler/ grocery grabber vehicle and its been reliable and comfortable.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I liked driving them (had these for company use 1999 - 2002) they were the Discovery models loaded with all the options. Never had a glitch but didn't pay for the upkeep so I was OK with them. If you really want to go off road and get stuck now and then I would not buy such an expensive vehicle to do that with. An old CJ or any of the newer stripped down Jeeps is a pretty good trail ride. I would love to pick up an old jeep for use in the Interior here. Don't get me wrong the Land Rovers had an enormous Zoot factor but I would be sick if I scraped one up on a stump or large rock.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, neat and all but why not buy a Chevy and spend the 20Gs difference on options?

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Yeah, neat and all but why not buy a Chevy and spend the 20Gs difference on options?
Because I don't want or like Chevys. Nothing against Chevrolet just not my thing.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my brother in law had an '05 discovery for a while but ended up getting rid of it because it was waaay to expensive to fix when something broke.

casey

ARFE