The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wive's or Significant Other's Hobbies;

'Get yer motor runnin!' Can't wait to do it again.
Hardyreels likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I am lucky to be newly single. So if any of you have a fine 25ish year old daughter that likes to fly fish, and into nerds. I am your guy hahahaha

But seriously my ex used a lot of my money... women...............
fredaevans and littledavid123 like this.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I met my wife in college. She came from a family of lawyers and doctors, and their idea of a hobby at that point in life was doing well in school. She honestly didn't have any hobbies outside of normal socializing when I met her, although her family travelled quite a bit around the world.

I rode a motorcycle, and she got into that as a passenger. I sailed, so she got into that. I bicycled a LOT, and she got into that (big time). When I hit 30, I bought my first large sailboat, and she was totally hooked. Between the time I met her, and 30, I didn't do as much fishing, but she fished when I did. I was into R/C planes, and she got into R/C planes as much as anything to that point! The Academy of Model Aeronautics has sanctioned clubs and fields, and we've belonged to clubs with over 250 members.

About 6 years ago, Yvonne decided to drop her spinning gear, and focus solely on fly fishing. She's progressed well, but I've been there to hold her hand along the way...except for the when she slipped and broke her ankle a year ago. Even then, she did her fly fishing from a wheelchair!

My wife is president of a chapter of the National Association of Insurance Women, and that's the only thing she does that we don't do together. I've thought about bringing some chicks home to see if she'd be into that, but I know that wouldn't fly...LOL!!!!

I wouldn't want to be married to someone that didn't share the same interests that I have, but bringing something new to the table would be nice. I do enjoy teaching, and our hobbies are the kind in which you're always learning. My wife claimed to have ridden a bike when she was a kid, but revised after I presented her with her first bike: she sat on the seat, and expected it to go by itself. She fell over without moving one inch foward. I then taught her how to ride a bike. The one thing she is not interested in as assembling rods and tying on flies. She says I'm better at that part, and wouldn't want to get things wrong. It's like having a caddy.

Nice quilt, Ard! Have her show them locally, and to the lodge visitors.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

My Daughter Julie is 'heavy' into Quilting; have several here at the house. Amazing what these folks can turn out via bits and pieces of fabric.

10 - 12 years back I walked through her 'new' old house she'd purchased and blanched looking at the construction. Put her on the phone with USAA and got her insurance coverage changed over and had her insured up to the hilt for everything/anything.

Year and a half later (Christmas Eve of all dates) the thing burned to the ground. There was nothing left, including her pets ...... Only 'good thing,' if there is such a thing as that given the situation, was she was at her Mother's. Found out about the fire via a neighbor's cell phone call.

She's on the phone to me and Now What Dad!!!!!!!

I was in my car and roaring north in less than 30 minutes. During the drive I'm on my phone with USAA. Folks were there hours before I arrived. First was a pre-paid credit card for $5,000 to cover 'incidentals.' Was interesting to take her to this huge Mall the next day for clothing, etc. All she owned at that point was the clothing on her back and her auto.

The drive up? That was also interesting as I'm not a fast driver, 65 and I'm 'maxed out.' Around Corvallis, Or I'm pulled over by the OSP. Guy gives me the usual, driver's lic/registration, stuff. Tell him to just 'Just give the fking ticket, I need to get out of here. My Daughter's home has just burned down.'

Guy looks at me and said (to the effect) 'You're not kidding are you? How fast do you feel comfortable driving?' Said 70 -75 if I have too.

"Follow me." All his lights on all the way to the Washington State line. There was a WSP car waiting for me in Vancouver, WA for the rest of the trip to Auburn.

Took a couple of weeks to get her sorted and into an apartment, but USAA was there all the way. They paid for everything, and promptly.

Amazing Company; amazing Police Officers. Took a bit of doing to track down the Officer's Duty offices, but both got 4 dozen Roses.

fae
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: This thread brings back some fond memories, my wife was really into quilting. She made this fishing scene wall hanging and lap quilt for me:
Wall hanging:
Click the image to open in full size.

Lap quilt:

Larry

Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ard: This thread brings back some fond memories, my wife was really into quilting. She made this fishing scene wall hanging and lap quilt for me:
Wall hanging:

Lap quilt:

Larry
Wow, that´s GOREGOUS
Hardyreels likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Another quilter here............

Marty has been doing it now for several years. She's also been active in an organization called "Quilts for Kids"; which supplies bright, happy-colored quilts for children with cancer and rare diseases.

And, she's also my regular fly fishing partner. Here on the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY looking for a steelhead or two.......

Pocono
Old 12-19-2012, 02:39 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Beautiful quilt going on there, Ard, very nice!

Bridget owns her own VERY demanding medical practice services company, so she works about 25 hours per day. But when I can break her away from it, she does this:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

And this past September, she did it better than anyone in camp!
Gary
Old 12-19-2012, 05:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Wive's or Significant Other's Hobbies;

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Beautiful quilt going on there, Ard, very nice!

Bridget owns her own VERY demanding medical practice services company, so she works about 25 hours per day. But when I can break her away from it, she does this:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

And this past September, she did it better than anyone in camp!
Gary
I am sooo liking this picture! We all need 'Mental Coffee' breaks; this look just like one.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Fred: "I am sooo liking this picture! We all need 'Mental Coffee' breaks; this look just like one."

You are SO right, Fred!! Does my heart good to see her smile...you shoulda heard the "YES!!!" she belted out when that fish was in the net.
Gary
mcnerney likes this.