The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Wive's or Significant Other's Hobbies;

I'm fortunate that my wife thinks going on long trips or boat rides looking for fish is fun but outside of that I've always wished for her to have a hobby. You know what I mean, something she gets a pleasure out of when at home while I'm immersed in fly tying or writing something to this forum or elsewhere.

In the past year and a half she became interested in making quilts, 'Quilting' as it's known to the purists in the game. She made 2 which is not exactly a world record but them we lead a pretty busy life and don't spend all our time at hobbies. After the second one was finished she was Jonesing to do it again and she said, "I want to make you a quilt with FISH on it"; so off we went to look for fabric with a fish print. That sounds easy but not many of the people who do the layout for fabric designs really know fish, and most everything looked pretty much like a 'Finding Nemo' theme.

We did strike pay dirt with one print that didn't look too much like a cartoon and were able to find other fabrics that looked like the spots on a rainbows back and the blush of their stripes. The blush also pretty much matches our salmon as they begin to turn so we loaded up and took things home. Since then she's been putting all the patches together and got everything out today and spread it on her work table saying, "What do you think, I think it's going to be pretty". I looked at the progress and said, "I should take a couple pictures of that"! Pretty cool and it'll give the bedroom a new look too.

Here's a look at 2 sections laid out together.
Click the image to open in full size.

A closer look at one square;

And a detail of the fishes;

Not quite perfect fish but much better than some I've seen. I'm happy for her because she is so into it once she gets started on one.
FrankB2, fysh, Pocono and 10 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wive's or Significant Other's Hobbies;

My wife's hobby is spending money........

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I'm lucky that Ann likes to tie flies,flyfish,ride horses,and hunt.She also does most of the photos of our trips.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

She has none and it freaking drives me nuts! With exception of being a mom, there is nothing that she enjoys outside of that like I do fishing. It really makes it nearly impossible to buy gifts I know she'll love
Hardyreels and busbus like this.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hey ard,
my wife loves to be outside as well
she enjoys bird watching and hiking quite a bit. we have allot of great preserves around here that allow for both.
she also enjoys joining me on the water for a little fishing action....

casey

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

great looking quilt btw!!

ARFE
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Does whining count?

My gf always whines when i go fishing all day... I was thinking of buying her a cheap rod to see if she likes it what do you think?
Hardyreels and busbus like this.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Whoa that's pretty wicked there Ard! My girlfriend's hobbies are sewing, knitting, and lately she's been really into pressing my buttons! Naa not really, its the silly season so I can't totally blame her.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

My wife's really into her grandkids year 'round. Summer. she's fishing, hiking, camping, gardening. Skiing in the winter, mostly.

However, she's up for a couple days on the San Juan between Christmas and New Years since we're blacked out on our ski passes at Taos and Purgatory. I'm just hoping that there are some 40+ degree days in there sometime. Since the water's 42 degrees, it'd help to have some warmth (such as it is) in the air.

Good thread!

Bob

PS: here she is on the 'Juan Veterans' Day. Probably about 45 degrees and a bit windy/rainy.
imxer, Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Ard,

That quilt is seriously gorgeous. That’s more than a hobby, she has a gift for it.

My wifes hobby: Motion.
When we met, she was already a backpacker & whitewater rafter, so adding a fly outfit to the mix wasn’t much of a stretch. She fishes with me and with friends. Outside of that, she Mt Bikes, runs, swims, hikes - everyday.

TT

Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is shaping up real good I love a good thread that gets people talking about their lives fishing or otherwise but mostly fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Ard,

That quilt is seriously gorgeous. Thatís more than a hobby, she has a gift for it.

My wifes hobby: Motion.
When we met, she was already a backpacker & whitewater rafter, so adding a fly outfit to the mix wasnít much of a stretch. She fishes with me and with friends. Outside of that, she Mt Bikes, runs, swims, hikes - everyday.

TT

Very cool,

People who are into things are usually happy sorts, I like to think we are happy sorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
Does whining count?

My gf always whines when i go fishing all day... I was thinking of buying her a cheap rod to see if she likes it what do you think?
Nick,

We may need to talk, I've had that problem with people and it seldom goes away by itself.

The Quilt!!

She's moving at the speed of light now and has all the sections sewn together. Next the batting, backing and border, than it's ready for the quilting stitching.

I'm taking these with my little point and shoot Cannon so they are what they are.

And here she is with the rest of my crew 'riding the Bow'.

She was hanging onto the bowline and hunkering down because we were hauling ... with John (fysh) and Pam in the two front seats
mcnerney and nrp5087 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;