The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm Back But .................

Wow. That is weird. We did get a couple of warmer days, but not as warm and then pow! Right back in the deep freeze. It's -3 F right now. I was hoping it would do the same thing there. Doesn't sound like it did. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

Ard, You Nancy, and Boss are in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe.
Fred
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good luck with the wild weather Ard! I've seen some intense swings due to traveling around a lot but nothing like that, hope the family stays safe!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

Ard - hope you're able to work out a happy ending.

Seems like we've got your normal weather (sans lots of snow) down here. Highs in the low 20's, lows near 0 and below in Santa Fe area. Alamosa, CO (120 miles north) is heading to -34 tonight.

Bob
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Larry,

I just got back home from a run to Anchorage. The weather page has it wrong far as I can tell we are at 46* here right now but it did quit raining. Yesterday it poured from Skwentna to Deshka Landing and the Susitna River was alive when we got there. The lower ends of the Knik, matunaska, Eklutna, Peters Creek, Eagle River and Ship Creek are all out and open water is carving a good channel as far as I could see as I crossed the bridges.

Word has it that Trapper Creek and points that way into the mountains got all snow albeit wet snow..........
Ard: OMG! That is way worse than I could have ever imagined. I sure hope and pray you get some cold wx soon, like you said earlier, this could turn into a real disaster. God speed, my prayers go out to you and your family!

Larry

Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys are so cool!

Thanks for all the positive wishes, overnight it went down to around 22* I think. I need to start the truck before I really know because we don't keep a thermometer here at home. That may sound strange but there is a great difference between the weather here close to the Inlet and that up near Willow. The usual is about a 30 degree difference unless there is a huge front covering all of the Interior.

There's more loose ends to tie up today but by afternoon I'll be talking to folks at the big bend on the Yetna River and hearing the weather there. Tomorrow night we could see -0 temps and that will help to firm up the slush. I've got a new Scandic 600 E Tec Super Wide loaded on the trailer ready to go as soon as things freeze up again.

Out at the lake our neighbors ( half mile away) and Nancy are working to keep their plane from freezing into the overflow on the lake. These folks have big fish to fry because they have a bush plane sitting out there on skis and the lake runway is covered with snow but has water about 15" down below the snow and slush on the surface around the skis where the weight is pressing the water up. They have lived there for 15 years and will figure this out like they have figured other hazards out over the years.

If the weather goes cold there is a chance I can get back by Thursday. I'll need to locate another brave soul who needs to get there as well because this is definitely not a 'travel alone' situation. I've made many a trip alone even hauling heavy loads on fright sleds but this is different. Some of the stories I could tell .......... being sidetracked in a blizzard so heavy that seeing the front bumper of the Yamaha was not possible......... wondering if I should start building an overnight shelter or keep digging the sled out..... Those days were stressful but I never felt a great sense of danger, just an enormous pain where I sit. This business of open water and deep overflows is a different sort of hazard. I have a few contacts to work though in order to find someone who is wanting to try the trip as soon as possible so I'll do that today.

On the bright side, I built doors for the cabinets and have only a days work left to finish the second floor ceiling. The ceiling is sort of the crown jewel of the work there.. The ceiling is a huge expanse of area and I've planked the whole thing with 3.5" knotty pine boards. It looks good. I've started framing an indoor 'Privy room' so that -30 trips to the outhouse won't be in the future also. The last winter project is to build the bridge that will connect the loft out to the 2 big windows in the front gable to create a sitting / reading - writing / Aurora viewing spot indoors. Those windows face west - north west and provide for a view of the night skies from a warm place Right now there is a temporary structure there but I'll be able to finish it by spring if the weather straightens out. Heck we're even shopping for a real gas stove to haul out before spring. All these years we've been cooking using a three burner camp stove and the stove top on the wood stove. I have figured out how to make many things in the Dutch Oven inside the wood stove (it's a big stove) but having a real gas range would be a huge upgrade. This place is a cabin for sure and we don't want to make it like a house. We just want to be a little more comfortable when there. By putting on a big push this winter getting things squared away it will reduce the need to work these things through next year. It would be nice to be able to just put your feet up and relax for a change. There's still the outside work (I need to re-chink 2 sides of the building this summer.............. but getting the interior done is a priority. It's tough because of the logistics. I would have that privy done but ran out of framing nails and the weather was so bad for the past week and a half that there were no mail planes to Skwentna. No planes means no nails, that's what I mean by logistics. If you find you need something you either fabricate it out of what you have or you wait. Waiting can be hard on the mind

Anyway, if I'm going to go again I'll post to say so and thanks for all the replies here.

Ard
imxer, caseywise and rubberguy like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

If I wasn't a few thousand miles away I'd happily make that trip with you. I'm a strange Floridian with a taste for both the cold and adventure. Best of luck, and keep me appraised as to the airplane situation. The engineer in me is always intrigued by those sorts of quandaries.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I look forward to reading the whole story, once everyone is home safely.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Hey Ard. Sounds like a stressful set of conditions. My thoughts will be to you and your family getting home safely. Best to you my friend.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Good to hear you are getting a little cooler wx......best of luck with that!

Your neighbors sound like they are in a real pickle with their airplane on the lake and the slush, hopefully they can figure out something to keep it afloat.

Sounds like you are making some real progress on the interior of the cabin, can't wait to see some photos once you get her completed!

Larry