The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default I'm Back But .................

Hi everyone,

I managed to get home last night but there is a very serious problem going on regarding bush travel in south central Alaska. Our weather hes been ....... peculiar; that's a good word I think. Since leaving I've seen temperatures range between -36 and + 40. Right now we have low 30's and rain! This is creating severe overflow flooding on all rivers and our lake has at least 13" of water forming a layer under the 18" of new snow that has also fell in the past 2.5 days.

So why is all that a problem since I'm at home? I left Nancy and Boss there and unless it gets cold quickly the only way for them to get out will be by helicopter! Now that is not good, this story has a host of details that lead to why I am here and she is not but at this time I have no time to continue with them. The entire epic will make for some interesting reading as soon as things are under control. Until then I'll check in here until I am able to launch again for the cabin.

I hope to find many new members posting with us as I browse the threads

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: I'm Back But .................

Whoa man! That's heavy duty, and I though we were having a weird weather year!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Weird isn't the word for this................. Many people will find themselves stranded in the hither lands until we get real Alaskan weather.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Ard -----Air boat ?????
milt spawn likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Ard...would have been happier if it has been in "normal condition"
Hope Nancy and Boss are fine at the cabin and will manage to come back home soon.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Glad you're back...Now I can pick your brain on Spring Creek in State College...had some luck there this past weekend.
Hope everyone else makes it home safely!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Ard, you can have our 10 degree weather here in Boise.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
Ard -----Air boat ?????
Thanks for that Bob, I had not thought of that angle. I'll price them and see if they are willing. We are not going to panic unless this weather persists, if that were to happen these rivers will go out, period. That's what happens in April when it hits 40* and rains for a week.................... First there is flooding then the ice gets soft and breaks up.

These rivers are the interstate transit system from December through April that thousands of Alaskans rely on as their transit link to the road system. If they go out early or become unsafe as is the current condition, many people find them selves stranded. Generally this is the time of year that Bush dwellers re-supply so that they have enough fuel, food and etc to see them through the period from early April until the ice goes out from rivers and lakes so that float planes and river barges can provide the supply lines. As it is, although wheeled aircraft can land on runways but the people who must cross rivers or lakes to reach said runway are out of luck.

I'll look to air boats if this doesn't turn around quickly, thanks.

Ard

Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ard,

Welcome back buddy! I hope the three of you had a nice holiday at the cabin. Looking forward to reading about the safe return of Nancy & Boss as well as your normal contributions to the forum when time permits.

jaybo
Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Good to see you back, but I had a feeling things weren't going well. Out of curiousity I looked at the Wasilla wx this morning and it showed 36 degrees F for the high with 80% chance of rain, definitely not good. I kind of suspected something might be up with the extreme cold we have been under, it was -19 degrees F here in Pinedale this morning, heard it was -26 in Jackson. I hope that jetstream starts moving back north to help you out.

Larry