The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Montana

We're considering relocating...Montana seems pretty attractive. I know the fishing is good, the shooting sports are good, the real estate prices are very attractive. Are there issues we should be wary of? Taxes? Pollutiion? Superfund sites? Hydrofracking? Liberals?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
We're considering relocating...Montana seems pretty attractive. I know the fishing is good, the shooting sports are good, the real estate prices are very attractive. Are there issues we should be wary of? Taxes? Pollutiion? Superfund sites? Hydrofracking? Liberals?
Nick: They have terrible fires in the summer months, the fishing is questionable and the winters are like Alaska!

Sorry I couldn't help it! Montana seems pretty attractive to me also, but I'm happy here in Wyoming, best of luck with your move. The hard part will be deciding where to relocate.
imxer likes this.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Nick: They have terrible fires in the summer months, the fishing is questionable and the winters are like Alaska!
Yep, that's what I tell people who want to move to Colorado. Unfortunately, it's becoming less Free America here.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nick: I hear you on that!

Hopefully, some of the Montana members will chime in here and offer some advice.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I lived in Billings for 4 years and travelled throughout Montana for work (and fishing!). IMHO, Montana is fly-fishing Mecca. Add to that, the people are down-to-earth, no sales tax, relatively low property taxes, and a state budget that's in the black.

The state is also likely in for an economic boom as a result of the Baaken oil field which stretches from North Dakota into Canada and Eastern Montana.

I gotta quit talking about Montana, I'm about to wake the wife and kids, throw the essentials in the cars, and move back!
mcnerney and mtdave like this.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't go to Montana, serious hydro fracing going on there, nasty oil field people. Best hitch up your mules and move somewhere else.

Dave
mcnerney and mtdave like this.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yep, that's what I tell people who want to move to Colorado. Unfortunately, it's becoming less Free America here.
I just wish we had all The Fishing you guys have in The North West in your lovely Country,also I don't think it matters where you go these days it's pretty much the same over here,the former Governments Rammed Multi-Culturism down our Throats,this Government has allowed multitudes of Boat People to arrive who claim they are Assylum Seekers?????
They all have admitted we need Skilled Workers,& they have allowed all these people in & now have to keep them,which is on our Health Scheme.
Also we have ended up with that many undesirables who were never screened & our Crime Rate has really esculated which they won't admit has happenned.
So we have to get used to it even though it's a bitter Pill to Swallow,unfortunately for us who have lived here all our lives,we have as well as many of you in The US seen The Best Of It,so to speak
Brian
mcnerney and littledavid123 like this.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

What's with this "less Free America" garbage? Montana just elected another Democrat Governor, this is 3 terms in a row now, and both of our Senators are Democrats, as well. Sounds like you won't like here. There are less liberals in Idaho.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what he means. I was just out in Colorado. I was born and raised in Colorado. It is nothing like when I lived there. Montana is where a lot of my family went. The same thing is happening there. Just not as advanced yet.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Are there issues we should be wary of? Taxes? Pollutiion? Superfund sites? Hydrofracking? Liberals?
No sales tax, but property taxes can be high depending on where you live.

A century of mining and logging has polluted quite a bit. The largest Superfund site in the country is in Montana, 120 miles long starting in Butte and ending just East of Missoula, the Clark Fork River from it's headwaters in Butte to where the mining sludge was trapped at an old damn. The was removed 3 years ago and reclamation is underway but will take years longer. The town of Libby in NW Montana was pert near destroyed by WR Grace's mining work, an entire town dying of asbestosis.

As mentioned, the Bakken reserve in E Montana and W North Dakota is possibly the largest natural gas reserve on the planet, so yeah, there is some fracking going on.

As mentioned, Montanans vote for Democrats and Republicans. There are some good old fashioned Union towns here, dating back to the days when a couple mining companies owned the state and the government. Butte, Anaconda, Great Falls, Deer Lodge and Missoula are liberal bastions. Particularly Missoula, if you do not like Liberals then you won't like it here.