The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Planing a trip to COLORADO...help.

I welcome any input I can get on a trip I'm planning for 3 people..Me, my wife, and a bud of mine (he may have a 4th by then).

We'd like to snowboard, snowshoe, long distance run, take some photos and yes fly fish (me, he's a beginner and wife would go to take pictures).

Be great if we can get all that within a few hours drive of each other. And a great/friendly fly shop to boot.

We have no idea when is a good time do any of that or where to go.

Thanks in advance,
Cardo

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planing a trip to COLORADO...help.

Are you looking for this winter or planning for next year? Off hand I'd say Breckenridge/Frisco area. There are a number of places to ski in that area and there is a Nordic Center for cross country right by Lake Dillon. For fishing if you're here in the winter it probably means tailwaters. The Blue right below Lake Dillon is right there. For the South Platte, head Southeast past Fairplay for just over an hour and you're at the Dream Stream below Spinney, a bit further is the tailwater below 11 Mile and if you're up for more driving, about 2 hours from Breck will get you to Cheesman Canyon and the Deckers area.

Not sure how running would be up there if the snowboarding is good The South Platte tailwaters should led themselves to some great photography, Cheesman is stunning I think. The Blue tailwater starts in an outlet mall
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Off hand I'd say Breckenridge/Frisco area. There are a number of places to ski in that area and there is a Nordic Center for cross country right by Lake Dillon. For fishing if you're here in the winter it probably means tailwaters. The Blue right below Lake Dillon is right there.
That is where I grew up and this time of year unless you are willing to fish in seriously cold cold cold weather, that is not the place to go. Even if you are tough enough, your wife will hate you. Great place to ski and snowboard but I'd go back down the mountains to fish. The flatlanders have a lot better weather.

One more thing, that is right around 10,000 feet above sea level. I don't know what you are used to but LONG distance running is probably also out of the question. Lastly, be careful how much you drink up there. What you can handle drops with altitude. OK, actually lastly, some people get altitude sickness that high. If anyone starts having trouble get them back down the mountain.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Wow. Fantastic input. We're thinking later this year (2013). We're targeting OCT/NOV....

I'll let the wife know about the altitude and long distance running.

Thanks!

-- John Gierach

My TU:
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You should have seen what going the other direction did for running. Coming from 10,000 feet and going to Boot Camp in San Diego, right around 8 feet. I had a guy setting across from me in the chow hall one day and he was staring at me. I finally asked if I had a booger or something. He siad, "Don't you breathe?" I could do the 3 mile run and my legs got tired but I was never winded. I went back up there this Fall. It was the first time I have been back in a long time. I was shocked at how big it has become. The only thing in Silverthorne I recognized was the Mint Bar. The town has crossed the river. Back when I grew up there it was on the one side of the Blue only. The lake was also the lowest I have ever seen it, and by a lot.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You should have seen what going the other direction did for running. Coming from 10,000 feet and going to Boot Camp in San Diego, right around 8 feet. I had a guy setting across from me in the chow hall one day and he was staring at me. I finally asked if I had a booger or something. He siad, "Don't you breathe?" I could do the 3 mile run and my legs got tired but I was never winded.
Kinda reminds me of Superman leaving Krypton (that was his home planet right?) and coming to Earth.

-- John Gierach

My TU: