The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Took a big step today....

WT,
Sounds like me and ghocevar are nearly in the same boat.
I'm a long drawn out non-traditional student pursuing a degree in Geography, a degree in Environmental/Sustainable studies, a certificate in Geographical Information System (GIS) and I recently declared Urban Planning as a minor. After all that is done I will still need to take a few "fluff" classes to obtain my degrees.

I am doing all this for the same amount of time, effort and money as many people would put towards a single major and minor.
If you get with your adviser you may find out that you can get more bang for your buck, rather than just a single degree.

I highly suggest getting together with your advisers sooner than later and working closely with them as it can really pay off!

Good luck!
Watson
mcnerney and wt bash like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Im in school now for Food Science its very interesting and encompasses various fields such as chemistry, microbiology, engineering, statistics... etc

If youre into science and food that is
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Good luck whichever road you chose to travel. A quality education is absolutely essential to a fully fulfilled life in today's world.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! Sounds like an exciting move for you. I look forward to hearing what you're thinking of studying. Can be exciting to start a new career or just take some classes that seem interesting.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Thanks guys I truly appreciate the support! I'm still on the fence over whether I want to pursue a career (not sure I could afford all that) or just to simply keep the blade sharp so to speak. I'll see what the adviser has to say and of course what I'll have to pay and go from there.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Mr. Bash. That's a big step for sure, and an exciting one! With the cost of education these days I think it's important to have a really good idea what you are looking for out of the courses or degree. I personally would narrow that down first before making the commitment one way or another.

If you are looking to keep things sharp, you might also want to look into community colleges, courses are generally cheaper and they can also usually transfer credits to another college or university.

If you are thinking of going back to get an education for a career, wow there's lots to think of. What sort of career you can get with your course of study, the time off (think teaching), current and predicted market trends for jobs of the future, etc. I think it goes without saying, go for something that interests you. Undoubtedly there will be classes that don't interest you while getting your degree but once it's all over with it's very much worth it.

Do some soul searching man, have somewhat of a plan before you get there is my advice. Once you establish that, you can explore the rest with an advisor/counselor.

Good luck and congratulations!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I'd take the ones I slept through (or skipped altogether) the first time around!

Seriously though, good on you WT. I have considered going back for a masters or MBA but life (a very fulfilling one) has kept me busy. I was a political science major then and I think I would enjoy those classes (and more history classes) a lot more with 2 more decades of perspective and humility under my belt.

Best of luck!
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
If you are looking to keep things sharp, you might also want to look into community colleges, courses are generally cheaper and they can also usually transfer credits to another college or university.

Do some soul searching man, have somewhat of a plan before you get there is my advice. Once you establish that, you can explore the rest with an advisor/counselor.

Good luck and congratulations!
Being that I'm in Akron I tried AU first but I felt like I was dealing with bubble gummers and couldn't get the info I wanted till I called Kent. Don't get me wrong computers are great but I still like having literature in my hand that I can see and read opposed to "you'll just have to look online" cause that's all I heard from Akron U. Hopefully the Admin. Counselor at Kent can at least point me in the right direction once I get my ducks in a row. Soul searching, brother I've been doing that for the past 4 or 5 years! Haha! But seriously, once I know what's available, affordable, and what grabs my attention most I'll be able to go at. That is of course unless it cuts into rod making and fishing!

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
Nothing that you will learn in the course of your studies will be of the slightest possible use to you in after life, save only this, that if you work hard and intelligently you should be able to detect when a man is talking rot, and that, in my view, is the main, if not the sole, purpose of education.
John Alexander Smith, Professor of Moral Philosophy, Oxford University, 1914.
That's heavy but so true. I have too many friends with $80,000 in student loan debt that swing hammers at a helper level.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

WT, speaking of Indian Studies, did I ever tell you I flint knap? I have actually become pretty good at it with abo tools. Here is one I did a long time ago. Only two cuts making it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 PM

See that's the kind of stuff I find interesting Dan. I know I wouldn't find employment but just understanding the culture and all its aspects is fascinating to me. That is awesome and I bet it puts a Gillette to shame!