The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Took a big step today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
That is awesome and I bet it puts a Gillette to shame!
It does if I do it with Obsidian. That stuff gets sharper than you can get surgical steel. I have demonstrated it to clubs like the 4-H, Boyscouts and stuff. They all do a serious "Oooo Ahhhhhhhh!" when I shave my arm hair with a piece of Obsidian. Another one that gets them going is making one out of the bottom of a bottle. I put a nail in the bottle head down and give it a few good shakes with my thumb over the top and the bottom pops off clean. Then I go at it with my tools and Viola! Arrowhead.

Here is one of my favorite ones I ever did. I make a lot of them after actual styles they used. This is a small true arrowhead called a Klickitat Dagger from the Pacific NW. I kept thinking the whole time I was going to snap it in half but I got it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough
Default Took a big step today....

Study something you can earn a living from, take fun classes as electives. Fly fishing can be a expensive sport so a good job ca help out.
Guest1 and wt bash like this.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM

jborn is on a distinguished road

For those who want to "keep sharp" without the need for college credits I recommend courses from the Teaching Company. I trained as a scientist (PhD) but was not educated. In retirement I am trying to address this deficit via audio courses. I like any offering by Rufes Fears a University of OK historian.

jlb
mcnerney and wt bash like this.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

After I meet with the folks at Kent State I set up another appointment at Cuyahoga Community College. Their site was much easier to navigate and it looked to me that they might have courses that better suit my needs/wants.The ball's rolling but not on a smooth surface just yet.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I'll be in the minority here. I think higher education has become a joke.
It is seen as advantage in your life to have one. I contend its an advantage ONLY if it helps you get a high paying/secure job. That's the only reason to spend the time and money. And the line that you can't get ahead without one is B.S. If your a hard worker, willing to learn everything you can about your vocation (on your own), never satisfied career stagnation then you can do well.

If you spend 80K and all you can get for a job is swinging hammers then you wasted your time and money. You'd been further off getting the same job as kid out of high school and learning all you can on the job to further your skills so you can make more.

Another thing I hear constantly from those preaching the higher education route is it makes you "well rounded". This is because when you get into higher education they make you take all sorts of unrelated courses. What do you need music appreciation for if your going to be a Fisheries Biologist? Its another way for the schools to siphon more money from your pockets and waste your time. I don't want a Fisheries Biologist working for me that spent time learning about Bach, I want one that knows everything possible about Fish, Aquatic Insects and anything DIRECTLY related to his job.

I went to college for Wildlife Biology one semester before I realized that it was a waste of time and money. I then went to a Tech school for 2 semesters before I got a part time job in the field I was going to school for. After one more semester I was asked to go full time so that and other reasons I quit Tech School. I earned a Journeymans card in my field (which I think was only valuable when asked if I had one). I jumped jobs every 4-5 years when I had learned all I could at the current job. I ended up buying a small business with owner financing and putting up everything I had owned and saved in 15 years of working. I increased sales 8 fold and then ended up selling the business after owning it for 14 years. This allowed me to retire at the ripe old age of 50. Now I go fishing ALOT. So its possible to do well without higher education, I did.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I agree to a point. Here in Ohio the economy is dead, there are no trades to get back into to advance myself in. Its the instance, sad but true, where a piece of paper means the difference between a paycheck and food stamps. I don't have the time, capitol, or patience to start anything from the ground up plus the local economy can't support any full time home refurbishing/building gig. I'm more interested in furthering my education and finding courses that could potentially lead to work, so I can use the funds to take cane rod making to the level where I can profit from it financially. Plus I don't view learning as a waste of time and money when its put in the right context. Like Dan had basically said in an earlier post its about what you study that makes it worth it.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Well I met with the counselor yesterday and at first was pretty impressed but then after some thought was a bit put off. It seemed to me like their focus was on pushing the 4 year degree, which suffice to say is way out of my league financially. I need to keep looking and searching community college programs that are better suited for what I want and need to learn.
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Well I met with the counselor yesterday and at first was pretty impressed but then after some thought was a bit put off. It seemed to me like their focus was on pushing the 4 year degree, which suffice to say is way out of my league financially. I need to keep looking and searching community college programs that are better suited for what I want and need to learn.
Wt bash,
It is a business so in many cases they will push it upon you, but continue to look into your options. Any education is good education, but I agree that it makes all the difference in what you study.

I know you can take non-credited classes, audit classes or I have even seen people squat for an education. My point is people come to classes purely just for the education and not the degree. I don't know what that would offer you other than the knowledge but I guess it just depends on what you are looking to achieve.

If a four year degree is not all that practical, maybe you could look into various certificate programs that are offered?

Certificate programs may only consists of seven or eight classes but have a direct focus. Students often return just to get a certificate in hopes of making themselves more valuable to the job market.

I don’t know if it was worthy, I just thought I would throw it out there.

Peace,
Watson
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

College is pushed in our culture, and it's not necessary or even helpful for everyone. It can leave people with a lot of debt and without training or desire to do much to pay it off, seen friends go through that. You just need to consider what you want to do and see what's necessary to do it. It could be a 4 year degree or some other training or certification which could be a lot less expensive and might serve you better. For what I do, undergrad plus grad school was necessary, but not true for everyone or every profession. Folks can get 'well rounded' if they are interested and motivated to learn on their own, without paying professors. Many of the things I really love to learn about, I didn't cover in class.

Don't forget about auditing courses. Often fairly cheap and you can get a sense of courses, program, professors, etc etc. Might end up retaking classes, for credit. But it could help you go into a program with greater confidence that it's what you want.

On a side note, in both undergrad and grad school, my classmates who took time to work before going on in school were almost all focused, hard working, and successful. Their experience and the time they took to figure out their priorities served them very well.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 PM

I've decided to apply then I can meet with a course adviser that'll will go through what I hope to achieve more in depth than the admissions adviser. I figure why not if anything it'll get the proverbial fire lit.