The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Took a big step today....

This morning I came to some kind of mental cross-roads and decided to meet with an Admissions Counselor at Kent State. I have no idea what I want to go for or what will come of it but it surely seems like a step in the right direction. My appointment isn't for a week but I'm already getting that nervous energy building up. So if you guys could go back to school, what classes would interest you?
popperfly, caseywise and williamhj like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Took a big step today....

forestry or a fisheries program...
wt bash likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Took a big step today....

I did am still in school at Cleveland State at the age of 34. Environmental Sciences with a concentration in Geology and Geographic Info Systems.

I used to sell phone and Internet services!
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That's funny fisheries and ichthyology were the first to come to mind, along with music. I always wanted to understand musical composition another interest of mine is Native American studies related to my location and the to be more general the eastern tribes.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Fisheries, photography,...beer making...

Chris
mcnerney and wt bash like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd make sure it was something that will pay you back some day. Not sure some of your list would do that. That Indian Studies if it was Archeology may be something that could do it. Most states have pretty strict laws protecting sites, and as a result they have to put an Archeologist on pretty much anywhere that has not been built on to watch as they remove dirt down past the "peopled" zone. Then they bring in the Paleontologist.

Speaking of not paying off, did you see the OWS protestor, young girl with more tattoos than a biker, holding the sign, $126,000 (I'm making up the amount, forgot the real one) for a degree in Hispanic Gay and Lesbian Studies (Not making that part up) and I can't get a Job.

Me, I'd go learn Chinese. Being able to talk to the landlords could become a high demand job.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you WT! Never to late! I'd go for Icthyology or Sports Management with a minor in girls swimming!
wt bash likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough

Nothing that you will learn in the course of your studies will be of the slightest possible use to you in after life, save only this, that if you work hard and intelligently you should be able to detect when a man is talking rot, and that, in my view, is the main, if not the sole, purpose of education.
John Alexander Smith, Professor of Moral Philosophy, Oxford University, 1914.

I've been in the higher education game for a lot of years now and here's what I would suggest. No matter what professional track you take (I have no opinion on that) be sure to take some material that will help you detect the "rot" Mr. Smith mentions. Be sure to find a good class on "Personal Finance" (how stock markets, insurance markets, retirement, banking really work), a good descriptive course on the American and Global economy that describes how it really works (not a pure theory class that merely argues how they should work), a good course in American Politics that delves into the way elections, congress, presidency and administrative agencies go about their business). Top that off with some solid American History and International History and a good dose of Environmental and Ecological studies. Oh, and if you are not already a good writer take a class on the nuts and bolts of good composition (big payoff down the road)

Schools like Kent State will require a number of distributive education classes -- fill the requirements with courses like these and avoid being suckered into courses that seem to teach the professors PH.D. dissertation alone. Then you will be a pretty good bulls**t detector....

Good luck.... its a great journey ....
mcnerney, wt bash and jborn like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Many things to consider, almost boggles the mind.

I will only state my standard speech to college age kids, obviously you have to be practicable about a career (majoring in hispanic gay lifestyles doesn't open many doors). If you know yourself well enough, then seek a degree that helps you get the job where everyday you can't wait to get to work because it is so much fun. If you enjoy your work, success will come.

Dave
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good for you WT. When I finally went back to school I was in my late 20s and it was a much better experience than when I was 18 (...I don't really remember much of that year).

If I were to go back again, it would with a profession in mind...Physical Therapy, Fisheries/Forestry (hoping for a state gig with benes and retirement!), orthopedic surgeon...yeah right!

But if I were going just for the helluvit and to learn; ethics, art, philosophy, creative writing ... all that stuff that doesn't pay you in the end - which is what I did the last time!!! I always like Geology classes too, any of the Natural Sciences.

Good luck, man.
wt bash likes this.