The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am now a total believer in there is such a thing as 'Dumb Stupid Luck.'

Went out to have a smoke, no big deal save for I'd run out of fluid in my regular lighter. Pulled one of the cheap fifty centers I had in the car and leaned, over cupped hands and hit the striker .... and the flame slot thing blew up in my face!!

No more eye brows, and save for my glasses, I'd might be down my eyes. I've never seen/heard of this happening before, but a lesson learned. You get what you pay for?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I am now a total believer in there is such a thing as 'Dumb Stupid Luck.'

It's a sign...quit smoking.

(Disclaimer: I'm sorry, I had to say it. I quit smoking 6 years ago and I am NOT one of those "Reformed Smokers". I am an active member of The American Legion, and it is still a smoking facility. I say this because I hated the non-smokers that preached to me. Who am I to preach?)

Chris
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I am now a total believer in there is such a thing as 'Dumb Stupid Luck.'

Lack of eyebrows, emotional distress and most likely a case of PTSD to follow, let alone the fact that this is probably going to affect your love life. I know some very good attorneys.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: I am now a total believer in there is such a thing as 'Dumb Stupid Luck.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Lack of eyebrows, emotional distress and most likely a case of PTSD to follow, let alone the fact that this is probably going to affect your love life. I know some very good attorneys.
In simi order:

No eyebrows but they grow back?;

Singed forehead, that I can now feel;

Doubt the PTSD, if that was going to be an issue it would have happened back in the early '60's;

Love life? What's that save for two 'four letter words';

Atty's cost too damned much for what they're worth; but that's another story.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in my smoking days I had kind of the same thing happen but it was with a Bic. Right before I went in the Navy I was working at Redman Mobile Homes in Ft. Collins, CO. We built mobile homes.

I used to jump in and out of the things by doing a half turn and landing on my butt, and then roll in. All fine and good except I had killed all of my front pockets by stuffing them with pocket killing things like racks of staples and nails. As a result I ended up with all of my stuff in my back pockets. One day I went out on the loading dock for a smoke. I had longer hair then, still had the mustache. I had over washed my hair apparently and had a reallt 'fritzty' thing going on. I went to light my ciggarette and it it blew up and shot fire about a foot right at my face. It hit me more on one side than the other, and it burned the 'fritz' off in a nice slow manner so I could with my peripheral vision see it go up on my right and back down my left. It did a fair job of eyebrow removal and singed the heck out of my mustache. Like you I need glasses, but wear contacts now. In those days it was glasses. I'm not sure how my eyes would have faired in it, but I was glad I had the eye wear between me and Mt. St. Bic.

( think I damaged it by landing on it one time to many )

I almost forgot to ask if your thumb made it out OK. Mine did and one of the first things I did was to look and see if my whole thumb was there. I was amazed it made it out better than my face did.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Just as long as you weren't on oxygen while lighting up.... Oh and I'm glad you're alright. Amazing the burns that can happen from lighting up, though often O2 is the culprit.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Oh you must know a prankster...
To rig one of those up you need a plastic lighter with the black slider that will control flame size, slide it to big, pinch it up and slide it back, repeat. keep repeating.
Voila, Torch.
Glad your ok Fred, wasn't me...!

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM

Talking Re: I am now a total believer in there is such a thing as 'Dumb Stupid Luck.'

Appears I'm not the only one that's walked down this road.

Normal lighters I use are some old 'Ronson' butane refillables with the electronic ignition. Things are bullet proof as to their function. You could toss one in the river (or have it drop out of your shirt pocket), pull it out, shake it off and they just 'work.'

At 70 you have a lot of 'old stories,' here's another one. Three Drift boats, three day float and the weather went to hell in a hand basket. Rain was predicted, but not like this. Fishing was a dead issue, but once you're in the river, there's no place to go save for the pull out 40 some miles down stream.

Beach camping in tents and strung tarps for cooking shelter. Not a dry piece of wood within 100 miles sort of thing. One old Guy, as we're sitting there freezing out collective butts, gets up and walks over to his DB and pulls out a pack of plastic wrapped Presto Logs (I kid you not), dumps them in a above ground fire pit folks had 'built,' stuffs in a few Army Surplus fire starter sticks in the middle and pulls out one of these Ronson's. Sets same to full blast and Woozer!

Thirty'ish minutes later we had a great fire, and even the wet wood would cook off with that amount of heat underneath. On went a huge coffee pot, for coffee. Another for hot water as the main meal this evening ended up being WW2 issue MRE'S.

Tents were set well up above the beach tree line and had a 'night guard' to pull in/adjust the anchors for the DB's. Still wasn't enough, everyone kicked out of bed at 0300-0400 as the water was just short of the tree line.

End game was find high ground and set up a over head tarp with Colman Lant's and hunker down. DB's pulled into the trees and tied down with the bail plugs pulled (empty, these will self bail to a large degree).

Late morning next day the sun came out and temps jumped close to 30 some degrees. River still, YOU ARE NOT going there. End game of all this was we were all wet to the core and not a dry stitch of clothing between us (a bit of an over statement). Stuff, sleeping bags hung in trees, laid out on the rocks, etc., and let Mom Nature, and a hot sun do the rest.

Best part? Fellow had one more bag of Presto Logs; only used one that night. Plan ahead, we could be here for awhile; we did.

Other Fellows had Adult Refreshments. Second time in my life I ever gotten seriously 'drunk.' The first time was older Guys (Steelhead Trout Club of Washington) 'Let's play with the kid.' They won with home made Dago Red wine. Same fellows the second time; rolled me into a tent and out like a busted light bulb.

End of all this is what was to be a three day float took a tad over a week. To just say the Wife Types had contacted the Police/Sheriff/Whom-ever would be an understatement. 10'ish fellows totally gone missing sort of thing.

When we finally hit the pull out we had a hell of a reception committee.

But I ramble. Things now are not what they were 50 some years ago.

Good or bad? Your coin toss?
fae
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here's another good 'burn your eyebrows off story'. My sister who lives in Billings was trying to get a propane BBQ lit. It seems she had a lot of excess gas going when she hit it with the lighter. Pretty much got rid of her eyebrows and bangs in giant ball of fire. Now that is bad enough, but her daughter, My niece is a morning show disc jockey there. She tells the entire greater Billings area about my sister's BBQ splosion on the air.

You may have removed your eyebrows, but at at least it was not broadcast to the public. Unless you count us.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
OK, here's another good 'burn your eyebrows off story'. My sister who lives in Billings was trying to get a propane BBQ lit. It seems she had a lot of excess gas going when she hit it with the lighter. Pretty much got rid of her eyebrows and bangs in giant ball of fire. Now that is bad enough, but her daughter, My niece is a morning show disc jockey there. She tells the entire greater Billings area about my sister's BBQ splosion on the air.

You may have removed your eyebrows, but at at least it was not broadcast to the public. Unless you count us.
Us the public? Nah !!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser