The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Larry, where I live, you'd be lucky to find cheap stuff for $6 a shot.

And I suspect you are right in your belief that it needs to age more.
John: You can tell I'm pretty naive about the cost of bourbon nowdays.
My comment about being green was just what I was relaying from the folks that had actually sampled it, but being four years old I guess that is to be expected, plus being the first batch produced.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Well, either most folks are out fishing or bourbon is not nearly as popular as scotch. Hopefully more suggestions come in.

BTW, Larry, I know you have a couple of darn good restaurants in Pinedale. I got a lecture from the chef in one of them for ordering a steak medium well. After I asked her who was eating the steak and who was paying for the steak, she shut up and went back into the kitchen. But she would be happy to know I have since changed to medium.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Well, either most folks are out fishing or bourbon is not nearly as popular as scotch. Hopefully more suggestions come in.

BTW, Larry, I know you have a couple of darn good restaurants in Pinedale. I got a lecture from the chef in one of them for ordering a steak medium well. After I asked her who was eating the steak and who was paying for the steak, she shut up and went back into the kitchen. But she would be happy to know I have since changed to medium.
John: Yes, out her it is either rare or medium rare for beef!
Things have gotten tougher finding a good place to eat here in town, or maybe its just not enough choices now that I'm a local.
Before I got here there was a place called McGuires (I think that was the name) that had a fabulous reputation, but it closed. Then last year Vic McMurry (his father owned the Jona Oil Field) got married to a gal from AZ and she convinced him to sell his WY holdings and move to AZ, so they closed the Half Moon Bay Lodge (a first class place to eat). I had heard rumors that he bought that place for something like 2-3 million then upgraded it big time dumping several more million into it and it definitely looked it, very stunning. He tried selling the resort but couldn't find any takers so last fall he put it up for auction and it sold for 1.7 million. No big deal for Vic as it was just a tax write off anyway, but we lost a first class place to eat.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Larry, I'll let you sample a bit of the George Dickel this Summer when we camp in the Canyon.

I think this thread will get rolling, being the weekend and storms happening I'm sure folks are just busy clearing snow, doing other things, or as Larry mentioned....maybe they've have gone fishing.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I am going to have to go with jack daniel black. I love the charcoal taste. I've had a few bottles of dickel over the years too. These are class acts I don't know about high end.

Henry Mckenna from heaven hills is a 100 proof single barrel bottled in bond unfiltered and uncut. Good stuff. I have some of their booze and mementos too.
Newest Bourbon Review: Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bourbon Sycamore Hills Whiskey

I went to the jack and george distilleries over 30 years ago and had awesome tours. I received a gold embossed letter from jd after my tour with a pic of our tour standing at the entrance to the cave where the water comes from. The george dickel distillery is down a long road to the bottom of a hollow with another spring water cave. I got some labels and other stuff.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I rarely drink bourbon anymore. Out west I prefer high end tequila. Click the image to open in full size.

Jack Vs Jose - Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers - YouTube
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Jeepster, I'm convinced tequila is not alcohol - it's some kind of drug.
fysh, yonder and jeepster II like this.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

now tequila.....thats a whole other story

ARFE
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Good campfire bourbon?.......Evan Williams 1783 small batch.......George Dickle no. 12......but it will be Knob Creek at the the fly tying desk!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

JS
I'm rather new to the high end bourbon scene.

I would slog away at Beam, Daniels (which is a bourbon but they like to differentiate it from bourbon on account of their filtering process...thanks wikipedia), Evan Williams, Wild Turkey and Early Times (aack!) during college.
Then quality was of little importance to quantity.

I've taken a liking to Bulleit Kentucky Bourbon.

It's spicy, smokey and cleaner (to me) than any of those mentioned above. A fifth is 30 bucks. I guess that's not high end.

I have also taking a liking to single malt scotch whisky and am just starting into that. I splurged on a $180 bottle of The Macallan 18 year SMS. Have yet to break that one open. I'm going on a fishing trip in April and will crack it then.

So I'm definitely interested in reading more about bourbon (American) and whisky.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM

SGF:
I'm thinking that $180-bottle of scotch should be opened on a wilderness river in AK after a day of catching grayling, dollies, char and rainbows. I just happen to be making three trips to the Koktuli River in August.
Last year I bought a magnum of Von Strasser cabernet on the trip for spaghetti night. Funny how two of the clients who "did not drink" suddenly got thirsty.
shotgunfly likes this.