The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bourbon

I'll throw in my vote for Rare Breed as well, definitely a fan. However, in the year I lived in Louisville it certainly wasn't the only bourbon I tasted! And Shotgun, a whisky/whiskey thread wouldn't be too bad either. It would certainly encompass our talk here, while also branching out to the other varieties!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM

mn steelheader will become famous soon enough

JS- have you tried Van Winkle 12 year Lot B? Probably the best whiskey coming out of kentucky in my opinion. I've had them all... Pappy is great in the 15 and 20yr. 23 yr. is just too much for me. Bourbon can only spend so much time in the barrel, especially one that is virgin white oak charred, without getting over aged. I think the Lot B is a total masterpiece. However, the bourbon craze country-wide has many of the top distilleries at a shortage and prices are skyrocketing. Not to mention, top bourbons are becoming very prized. Funny, I've been drinking this stuff for years and all everyone wanted was scottish and irish whiskey. Things change I guess. That being said I encourage you to check out the fantastic spirits from Japan. If you like bourbon, try some of Suntory's products as well as Yamazaki. They are made in the same way and you will really enjoy them if you like kentucky whiskey.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Lots of good whisky (and whiskey) out there.

I've tried Bulleit, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Booker's and Wild Turkey (regular and Rare Breed) and like them all. I'd have to say that either Maker's or Knob Creek are my "go to" bourbons.

Last year in Alaska a guy in a liquor store recommended Masterson's Rye (as in Bat Masterson) to a buddy and I--told us that if we tried it we'd never go back to bourbon. I don't know about that, but it's pretty good. Expensive though--about $80 a bottle.

I've lately developed a real thirst for Macallan (any of them are good) so far as single malts go.

And don't forget the Irish--good old Bushmills (the Black Bush is especially good) and Redbreast are a nice break from bourbon and single malts.

Must be something about drinking whiskey and fly tying. I can't seem to do the former without the latter. Plus which, when the bottles are finished, the cork tops make perfect fly drying stands.

Scott
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Don't remember seeing it mentioned, but Old Charter is a decent bourbon, Very Old Barton not bad either if you're wanting something inexpensive for the campfire. I don't drink much bourbon as the wife cannot tolerate the smell of it. I've got some "apple pie" in the fridge that goes down like water but will kick like a mule. I was surprised at how much it does taste like apple pie. LOL. Now, back to bourbon. Sorry for the interruption.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Good bourbons are unique, of course. So it really depends on your preference. To me, Knob Creek is mouthful, heavy oak, strong, long after taste. Which can be great. I love long, smooth bourbons on the sweet side of the oak vs. the smoky side.

If any of you bourbon drinkers haven't had the Jefferson's yet, do yourself a favor and get a bottle. The low end, simply called Jefferson's might be the best whiskey you can buy for <$30. But the real value is in the Jefferson's Reserve, I think it's about $50 and superb. I have stepped up the Presidential Reserve because I don't spend Franklins on booze, even if it is the President's bourbon. But I'd really like to give it try.

Our Products - Jefferson's Bourbon
Old 04-27-2013, 12:00 PM

streamhound is on a distinguished road

Have you tried Jefferson's rye? I was just curious about it. My father used to like rye as a break from bourbons but I have never tried any

Oh I'm an ambassador for Makers Mark so that's where my loyalty lies
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamhound View Post
Have you tried Jefferson's rye? I was just curious about it. My father used to like rye as a break from bourbons but I have never tried any

Oh I'm an ambassador for Makers Mark so that's where my loyalty lies
I have not. Rye is very popular again but I haven't got into it.