The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Bourbon (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/310429-bourbon.html)

jsquires 02-09-2013 12:33 PM

Bourbon

I've learned a lot by reading the recent posts about scotch, so I'm hoping to do the same with bourbon.
I'm looking for a high-end bourbon to take on my wilderness trips to sip around the campfire. I've had Knobb Creek, Basil Hayden, Pappy Van Winkle, Booker's, Blanton's, Woodford. Out of those, I think I like Blanton's the best. Booker's has too much alcohol content for me. Of course I've had some of the cheaper bourbons, also, but, like wine, I haven't found anything cheap yet that I like.
So I'm looking for suggestions from the experts.

mbchilton 02-09-2013 12:49 PM

Re: Bourbon

Templeton Rye. Al Capone's drink. Made in Iowa. Smoothest bourbon.

fyshstykr 02-09-2013 01:00 PM

A couple years ago on The Salmon River (Idaho) we were all standing around a blazing campfire and I was handed a tin cup with a few ice cubes and three fingers(maybe four) of a bourbon I'd not tasted before, I sipped it and instantly liked it, turned out to be a rather inexpensive bottle of George Dickel no.12.

It's tough to find in my area, when I make it to Wyoming, I usually search out a few bottles, and with roughly a $20 price tag it is far from a "Bank Breaker". I have an unopened bottle in the cupboard that appears to be rather lonely....it shall be visited tonight.:)
BourbonEnthusiast.com • Bourbon Reviews • George Dickel No. 12

ghocevar 02-09-2013 01:24 PM

Can never go wrong with a good ol bottle of Makers Mark!

mcnerney 02-09-2013 02:29 PM

I don't drink bourbon very often so I can't really recommend anything, but this thread reminded me of a recent story here in Wyoming. We now have a Wyoming distillery and they recently released their first batch of 4 year old bourbon. I heard a story on NPR where the 3,000 cases were sold out in the first 12 minutes of release and of course some of the bars that grabbed the bourbon are selling it at $6 a shot, yikees! I've heard that it tastes like it needs further aging which doesn't surprise me at all.
THE BOURBON | Wyoming Whiskey

jsquires 02-09-2013 03:24 PM

Larry, where I live, you'd be lucky to find cheap stuff for $6 a shot.

And I suspect you are right in your belief that it needs to age more.

caseywise 02-09-2013 03:32 PM

not much of a bourbon drinker, but a couple good ones i have tried are eagle rare and bulliet:cool:
my father in law is a big bourbon fan and he swears by good old jim beam.

casey

fyshstykr 02-09-2013 03:42 PM

Nothing wrong with a bit of chilled Beam.:)

littledavid123 02-09-2013 03:45 PM

Fysh, I went to the URL posted and when describing the whiskey, they listed 9 different flavors could be experienced with just one mouthful...:D

Dave

fyshstykr 02-09-2013 04:10 PM

It's mentioned also that it has a "peaty finish similar to some types of Scotch", when I first sipped it I thought it was Scotch because of that. I was pleasantly surprised when told it wasn't and was shown the bottle.:)