The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Bourbon

I've learned a lot by reading the recent posts about scotch, so I'm hoping to do the same with bourbon.
I'm looking for a high-end bourbon to take on my wilderness trips to sip around the campfire. I've had Knobb Creek, Basil Hayden, Pappy Van Winkle, Booker's, Blanton's, Woodford. Out of those, I think I like Blanton's the best. Booker's has too much alcohol content for me. Of course I've had some of the cheaper bourbons, also, but, like wine, I haven't found anything cheap yet that I like.
So I'm looking for suggestions from the experts.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bourbon

Templeton Rye. Al Capone's drink. Made in Iowa. Smoothest bourbon.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A couple years ago on The Salmon River (Idaho) we were all standing around a blazing campfire and I was handed a tin cup with a few ice cubes and three fingers(maybe four) of a bourbon I'd not tasted before, I sipped it and instantly liked it, turned out to be a rather inexpensive bottle of George Dickel no.12.

It's tough to find in my area, when I make it to Wyoming, I usually search out a few bottles, and with roughly a $20 price tag it is far from a "Bank Breaker". I have an unopened bottle in the cupboard that appears to be rather lonely....it shall be visited tonight.
BourbonEnthusiast.com • Bourbon Reviews • George Dickel No. 12
popperfly, yonder and jeepster II like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Can never go wrong with a good ol bottle of Makers Mark!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drink bourbon very often so I can't really recommend anything, but this thread reminded me of a recent story here in Wyoming. We now have a Wyoming distillery and they recently released their first batch of 4 year old bourbon. I heard a story on NPR where the 3,000 cases were sold out in the first 12 minutes of release and of course some of the bars that grabbed the bourbon are selling it at $6 a shot, yikees! I've heard that it tastes like it needs further aging which doesn't surprise me at all.
THE BOURBON | Wyoming Whiskey
jsquires likes this.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:24 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Larry, where I live, you'd be lucky to find cheap stuff for $6 a shot.

And I suspect you are right in your belief that it needs to age more.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

not much of a bourbon drinker, but a couple good ones i have tried are eagle rare and bulliet
my father in law is a big bourbon fan and he swears by good old jim beam.

casey
imxer, fysh and dean_mt like this.

ARFE
Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with a bit of chilled Beam.
dean_mt likes this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-09-2013, 03:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Fysh, I went to the URL posted and when describing the whiskey, they listed 9 different flavors could be experienced with just one mouthful...

Dave
Old 02-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

It's mentioned also that it has a "peaty finish similar to some types of Scotch", when I first sipped it I thought it was Scotch because of that. I was pleasantly surprised when told it wasn't and was shown the bottle.