The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moonshine

I had the home made version many years ago when I lived in Kentucky. I did not care for it, to me it was too strong and not very flavorful.
The legal version can be found in Bevmo & Total wine iffin you want to give it a taste.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
well it may be an odd question .. who likes moonshine, I watched a film called lawless about 2 hours ago and its a great film , but makes me laugh when I see the moonshine....

so who brews it ....
who drinks it....
Lawless was a great movie!! not to far from the truth back in the days.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Lawless was a great movie!! not to far from the truth back in the days.
yes Popperfly its a great Movie , Based on true Story.

I can well imagine it not being far from the truth. I dare say I will watch it again.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
My Grandfather, Mitchell French was renowned moonshine maker. My daddy and uncles and older brothers ran the stuff. The feds searched out house many times. Now, I was the youngest of the youngest kid of grandpaws,,so ,,,I'm the only boy in the clan to NOT work an active moonshine still.

Grandpaw shot a revenuer one time,,,didn't kill him,,gut shot him. Defended himself in court down here and got out of it. Momma hid moonshine under my brothers baby blankets when he was little on one search and the Feds never checked there.

Nope, moonshine ain't no stranger to me,,or me to it. But I never drank much,,,just too damn powerful if made right. I'm a sissy,,,being more of a Jim Beam feller myself.

some History there Fly_guy , have you watched the Movie? I dare say it would bring back a few memories back.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

never tried it, but i suppose if i was offered a nip of the real deal i would give it a shot(pun intended)

casey

ARFE
Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
My Grandfather, Mitchell French was renowned moonshine maker. My daddy and uncles and older brothers ran the stuff. The feds searched out house many times. Now, I was the youngest of the youngest kid of grandpaws,,so ,,,I'm the only boy in the clan to NOT work an active moonshine still.

Grandpaw shot a revenuer one time,,,didn't kill him,,gut shot him. Defended himself in court down here and got out of it. Momma hid moonshine under my brothers baby blankets when he was little on one search and the Feds never checked there.

Nope, moonshine ain't no stranger to me,,or me to it. But I never drank much,,,just too damn powerful if made right. I'm a sissy,,,being more of a Jim Beam feller myself.

This.....just.....this. There's no competing with this. If anyone here though they knew a thing or too about moonshine.....this.

This......
Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

A couple friends and I built a stove-top still using a pressure cooker, copper tubing and plumbers putty! We made the mash in our kitchen and ran it through the still a few times. We couldn't keep the temp regulated and it never worked too well.

I've always wanted to do it again. I know a guy in Seattle, older German guy, that has a beautiful hammered copper still from Europe. He makes some excellent booze. He calls it Schnapps, but this is traditional liquor, not the syrupy **** you buy in the store. It is clear and strong and distilled from fruit or vegetable material. Depending on what he ferments as a mash, it has distinct flavors. Think high proof, very smooth flavored vodka. Really great stuff!
yonder likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Moonshine

Got some moonshine cherries in my fridge compliments of the in-laws from WV. I need more.
stl_geoff likes this.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Shine is still fairly common around my area.....not far from North Wilkesboro.......My great grandfather used to make it as a form of currency for trade......you can still find a few of his old still sites in the woods that were decommissioned by the government....as they failed to see the humor of the situation.....check out Popcorn Sutton on youtube........his video will give you an idea of the work involved in making shine. Also......pay attention to the man who "proofs" the shine.......this takes alot of experience and patience. I met Popcorn in Maggie Valley one day. We spent an hour talking about his old truck and the contents he was carrying in the back. He was one of a kind........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Moonshine cherries are great! im the only one out of one group of friends who likes em though.

I've had it several times, from different makers. legal and non-legal brews. Its pretty good if you get a good batch of it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I've got a couple of friends with stills, and I've drank plenty of it. Can't say I much care for it until it's spent some time in wood.
yonder likes this.