The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: Moonshine

I have had shine on several occassions and I can say that I have never had any that was 'good'. It is clear as water (actually more clear) and it will burn a nice blue flame. I bought a half gallon many years ago of corn that was touted as good stuff and it took me several years to get rid of it. I would give some to whomever would try it. None ever came back for seconds. I had a pint Bacardi's bottle that I kept full of shine to take to parties to offer to the uninitiated. My mother-inlaw was always hitting my booze and she got into the "rum" one day and she accussed me of trying to poison her. She hounded me for years over this. I will stick with ole uncle Jim Beam
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
I've got a couple of friends with stills, and I've drank plenty of it. Can't say I much care for it until it's spent some time in wood.
I agree........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Yonder if you met Popcorn you didn't met much.If i step on toes about this sorry but i knew him and he could not make good liquor but could make a good still.As for the liquor there are a few folks around the smokies that are very good at making liquor.I do like a good shot every now and then and when it has fruit in it some is trying to hide some impurities in the whiskey could have been run to fast or scorched a little thats why it has the fruit.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

I'm glad I asked about Moonshine... I would love to spend a few weeks up in the hills having a few drinks at night....

Then Flyfishin the streams by day

That would be a great holiday for me instead of going to Tenerife.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Laughed so hard I had to walk away from the lap top. Another Web fishie (Washington State) and fellow le ment tounge (bud spellin g untended) about what the pay for Adult Beverages. Posted up the link to the Oregon OLC price list .. SEVENTY PDF PAGES!

End game is if you're in Washington and want to do a 'bulk buy' drive south. If you in southern Oregon and REALLY want to do a bulk buy, drive to Nor. California.

Heck of it was, legal "Moonshine" is on our list; I kid you not. 190 Proof, that stuff should take the paint off a door nob.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Great thread. I have lots of stories about growing up in moonshine country. Moonshine and **** hunting comes to mind. My next door neighbor's were moonshiner's. I learned how to make it, how to test the bead, how to break the bead down, and I made moonshine in science class as a class experiment one time. I've been around a few stills, too. That was all over forty years ago in bristol, tenn/va. My neighbor's brother was a well known moonshiner in those days. He roamed tenn, va, ky, nc, wherever they were looking for him the least. He would come back to bristol once in a while and live with his brother next door. His name was Trig Baumgartner.

I believe the largest still ever found was in tenn. The last time I got some shine we had to go to the flea market in abingdon, va to get it. Ever since sullivan county became wet and with the virginia abc stores around and everybody dying off it has gotten hard to find.

The one thing I would like to add to this thread is horehound candy. You may have heard of dropping a piece in the jar to take the edge off. That goes way back with drinking tenn moonshine. I never cared for the stuff. I used to bring that candy out to arizona with a jar of shine whenever I went back to visit my mom. It's disgusting but a part of my heritage. I like a lemon drop or mint. I've had moonshine mellowed in a char burnt barrel for one whole day and that takes the edge off, too. But if want the full experience get yourself a bag a horehound candy to go with that white lightning.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Banned

One day I will try Moonshine, I think I know what to expect ...a sudden grasp of breath...
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
One day I will try Moonshine, I think I know what to expect ...a sudden grasp of breath...
Think lower. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster ii View Post
Think lower. Click the image to open in full size.
what like deep down lower
jeepster II likes this.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
what like deep down lower
lol yea, deep down lower.