The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Working in Fly shops (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/310635-working-fly-shops.html)

mattneeds 02-12-2013 02:07 AM

Working in Fly shops

Any of you guys work in fly shops? I'm going to be a senior in high school and I cant think of a better job than to help out around a shop for a summer.

Guest1 02-12-2013 02:12 AM

Re: Working in Fly shops

Unless it was a second job for me, I don't think it would work out to well. Most of my paycheck needs to make it out of the shop if it's an only job and that might be hard to do.

theboz 02-12-2013 02:19 AM

Feel the same way as Dan! Would put it back as fast as I made it. Consider a job helping guides or at a marina . More fishing opportunities and less temptation!! Haha!

mattneeds 02-12-2013 02:22 AM

That is definitely a problem. I'd have to watch my wallet.

For you guys who do work in a shop and see this later, did you write your resume just like for any other job?

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 525954)
Feel the same way as Dan! Would put it back as fast as I made it. Consider a job helping guides or at a marina . More fishing opportunities and less temptation!! Haha!

I would pretty much do anything to get my foot in the door, run shuttles, sweep floors, pretty much whatever.

theboz 02-12-2013 02:38 AM

I don't know if this helps but I worked as a guide at a resort and they did all of the hiring out of the on site Orvis Shop. My resume consisted of all my fishing background as well as service related jobs.
Another point having done a lot of retail hiring myself when it came to H.S. age applicants enthusiasm, appearance and manner of presenting yourself went a long way over resume!

Guest1 02-12-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 525959)
appearance ....went a long way over resume!

Does looking like Evil Roy Slade count against me?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pVeMSQGCL.jpg

stl_geoff 02-12-2013 09:41 AM

i worked for one a couple times during the summer usually on weekends. i would tie for them and get store credit.

dhayden 02-12-2013 09:48 AM

Here, some of the shops start posting ads for help - in March/April

Example from last year:

We're looking for a couple of folks that are experienced fly anglers with an emphasis on trout in and around SW Montana. Applicants need 2+ years of retail sales experience in the outdoor or fly fishing industries. Typical duties include retail sales, merchandising, booking guide trip reservations, and a wide range of IT related tasks. We prefer applicants that are comfortable working on a variety of IT platforms including wed editing, point of sale, and Microsoft Office.

Join us in a fun and busy work atmosphere sharing our passion for fly fishing with both the local and tourist community! We offer competitive hourly wages dependent on experience along with employee discounts and flexible scheduling. Please e-mail a brief cover letter along with resume and references to xxx@xxx by April 7

sandfly 02-12-2013 01:20 PM

I have worked in them off and on all my life, now I own one >>

Hardyreels 02-12-2013 04:22 PM

Hi Matt,

It sounds like a good thing for a young fellow and there is a discount on purchases of course. I believe it would be a great way to get up to speed with all the new tackle at this time but when I was between 18 & 35 years old I wanted night shift work so I could fish............. I was once offered a job at my regional Orvis dealership but deferred because of the day shift schedule. Now if there is a creek right close by, that can make a huge difference when choosing a work site.

Good luck & keep us informed, if you need a reference let me know.

Ard