The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road
Default Working in Fly shops

Any of you guys work in fly shops? I'm going to be a senior in high school and I cant think of a better job than to help out around a shop for a summer.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Fly shops

Unless it was a second job for me, I don't think it would work out to well. Most of my paycheck needs to make it out of the shop if it's an only job and that might be hard to do.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Feel the same way as Dan! Would put it back as fast as I made it. Consider a job helping guides or at a marina . More fishing opportunities and less temptation!! Haha!
Hardyreels likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

That is definitely a problem. I'd have to watch my wallet.

For you guys who do work in a shop and see this later, did you write your resume just like for any other job?

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Feel the same way as Dan! Would put it back as fast as I made it. Consider a job helping guides or at a marina . More fishing opportunities and less temptation!! Haha!
I would pretty much do anything to get my foot in the door, run shuttles, sweep floors, pretty much whatever.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this helps but I worked as a guide at a resort and they did all of the hiring out of the on site Orvis Shop. My resume consisted of all my fishing background as well as service related jobs.
Another point having done a lot of retail hiring myself when it came to H.S. age applicants enthusiasm, appearance and manner of presenting yourself went a long way over resume!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
appearance ....went a long way over resume!
Does looking like Evil Roy Slade count against me?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

i worked for one a couple times during the summer usually on weekends. i would tie for them and get store credit.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Here, some of the shops start posting ads for help - in March/April

Example from last year:

We're looking for a couple of folks that are experienced fly anglers with an emphasis on trout in and around SW Montana. Applicants need 2+ years of retail sales experience in the outdoor or fly fishing industries. Typical duties include retail sales, merchandising, booking guide trip reservations, and a wide range of IT related tasks. We prefer applicants that are comfortable working on a variety of IT platforms including wed editing, point of sale, and Microsoft Office.

Join us in a fun and busy work atmosphere sharing our passion for fly fishing with both the local and tourist community! We offer competitive hourly wages dependent on experience along with employee discounts and flexible scheduling. Please e-mail a brief cover letter along with resume and references to xxx@xxx by April 7
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I have worked in them off and on all my life, now I own one >>
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Matt,

It sounds like a good thing for a young fellow and there is a discount on purchases of course. I believe it would be a great way to get up to speed with all the new tackle at this time but when I was between 18 & 35 years old I wanted night shift work so I could fish............. I was once offered a job at my regional Orvis dealership but deferred because of the day shift schedule. Now if there is a creek right close by, that can make a huge difference when choosing a work site.

Good luck & keep us informed, if you need a reference let me know.

Ard
mattneeds likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;