The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Here We Go, This Is The Made In The USA Thread;

Over the years I've seen all the 'Made in America vs. Asia etc.' threads that we've had I believe. Currently the thread concerning Orvis rods is getting a workout as you may well know. What I propose is that we list those items; clothing, fishing gear etc. that you have no doubt was in fact manufactured in the United States in your reply. As you think of more things after your first post you can always come back with an edit and add to your list. Regarding firearms; for the sake of privacy I would not advise listing your Remington's on the internet. I'm willing to accept that we are still making plenty of guns

I am curious about this. I know that if we look to firearms and knives as well as products acquired prior to 1980 we may all have a bunch of USA made items. Conversely if we look at our purchases / acquisitions made in the past decade we may be hard put to come up with a whole lot of stuff.

For the sake of focus lets keep the listings to items purchased since the year 2000. This would cover whatever you bought over the past 13 years..............

I'll start here and ad things as I find them.

1. Orvis Odyssey reels, 2 of them
2. Filson Jacket (replaced my 1992 one)
3. Orvis Vortex reels (original Vortex) 2 of them
4. 2004 Chevrolet Silverado
5. Original art work by American artists
6. Old fishing books printed and bound in America
7. Simms waders
8. An Orvis fly rod made in 1968 and another made in 64'
9. Pocket knives USA only
10. 2 R.L. Winston Spey rods
11. Fixed blade knives, Damascus steel by Silver Stag & an Eagle River AK. fillet knife.
12. New snowshoe bindings hand made in Maine
13. A new Estwing Campers Axe
14. A Snow plow for the 4 wheeler
15. Our ATEC Marine 18.5 foot boat (built in Kenai AK.)
16. A new Stihl chainsaw (a big fat boy with a 24" bar) for the cabin work.
17. My Beaver & Blue Fox fur hat that keeps my head warm, Tuntutuliak Alaska by a Native woman I hired to make it.
18. Lumber & glass building materials for the cabin.
19. Just remembered; I've bought 2 more Martin MG series reels however they were (like the old Orvis branded reels) made long ago in the USA.
20. A new Leatherman Wave
21 I bought 2 AIR / FishCat rafts in 2006 I'm pretty sure they were made in America.
22. The jet lower unit for the new 90hp boat motor was made in California.
23. Couple pairs of Oakley glasses
24. A set of Kolbalt ratchets and sockets in 2001 that were American made at that time.
25. I'm pretty sure my Craftsman digital torque wrench was made here.........
26. The counter balancer for my KLR 650 was machined in CA. from US steel

I'll have to think about this and add more later.
shotgunfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Here We Go, This Is The Made In The USA Thread;

Orvis Superfines..

2012 Nissan Xterra..yep, made in Mississippi.

Les Baer Custom 1911's

Dillon reloading presses.

Made in US dogtags, my Dad's and mine.

Many of my Spyderco knives, made here in Colorado.

Best Made in USA story- my wife and I walk into Sears, looking for a washer and dryer for our new house. Saleslady approaches..."hi, we're looking for a new washer and dryer, must be made in the US". Saleslady- "I have just what you're looking for, these are made in Canada". Really?? Yes we left.
So..Maytag Maxima appliances. Made in the US.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by nickj; 02-15-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:14 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Orvis Superfines..

2012 Nissan Xterra..yep, made in Mississippi.

Les Baer Custom 1911's

Dillon reloading presses.

Many of my Spyderco knives, made here in Colorado.

Best Made in USA story- my wife and I walk into Sears, looking for a washer and dryer for our new house. Saleslady approaches..."hi, we're looking for a new washer and dryer, must be made in the US". Saleslady- "I have just what you're looking for, these are made in Canada". Really?? Yes we left.
So..Maytag Maxima appliances.
The appliances might have been made in Canada, but probably the profits ended back in the US. Something like the Nissan, where the profits went overseas.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Ard, Estwing Axes & Hammers with The Leather Handles are Really Top Quality which nearly all The Carpenters over here use.
Also over The years I've found most things made in The US to be Quality Gear.

Just to add to The Thread which like you guys in The US,this subject really annoys me.
Even though lots of things are marked made in Australia,some even say made in Australia from local & overseas products.
Most are really only assembled here as most of The Steel, Parts are sourced from around The World,from our Raw Materials where The Makers chase The Cheap Labour used to make The Parts.
The Largest Retailer wants Tarrifs put on goods bought on The Internet,he was the one who imported Chinese Electrical White Goods & nearly wiped out our Largest Electrical Manufacturer.
Brian
Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
The appliances might have been made in Canada, but probably the profits ended back in the US. Something like the Nissan, where the profits went overseas.
That's why people invest in companies, and that's why companies exist- to make $ for their investors. However...the $ spent on the Nissan reverberate throughout our economy. The employees of the dealership benefit, they spend their money locally, the employees and owners of the businesses they frequent benefit..ripples in a pond. The same effect happens in Mississsippi and wherever the investors in Nissan live. I doubt they all live in Japan.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Rio LT WF1... is it made in this world
Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I didn't mention my 2011 Camaro SS. Although Chevrolet is perceived to be a US (.gov) company, it was made in Canada. The Heartbeat of Where...?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I didn't mention my 2011 Camaro SS. Although Chevrolet is perceived to be a US (.gov) company, it was made in Canada. The Heartbeat of Where...?
Many US auto companies make vehicles in other countries, typically it depends on the model or version of that model. Many of them have plants up in Canada and Mexico.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

All of my Pflueger's (Akron) aside from the one I use as my binder, my Ocean City (Philadelphia) reels, my Jeep built right here in Sandusky, all of the cane rods I have made come from materials grown and harvested overseas but hand made right here in Akron Ohio U.S.A..
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

a few that come to mind are-
my lamsons (idaho)
sage rods (washington state)
a few old gerber hunting knives (oregon)
bottle of jim beam (kentucky)

casey

ARFE