The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freeze dried meals....

How about some of the different meals from Mountain House....are the breakfast ones any good?

ebay has some great prices on bulk, now I just need to find a couple others to split a large order with.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've tried a couple of the breakfast ones John, they aren't IHOP but they're easy

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose with fresh Tortilla's and enough Salsa and cheese they'd be alright, eh?
mcnerney likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Oh yes, griddle on a light fire and do the eggs and sausage thing while you heat tortilla's, you're giving me ideas.

By the way Nancy got me a new smoker for Christmas, a Smoke Vault. It's big and I did a 20 pound turkey in it the other day to break it in. No fish but we bought 5 turkeys at Thanksgiving time. I will get fish this year.................... I don't know where I'll have to go for them but I'll get them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Don't forget the fried taters!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Fysh, you are hijacking your own thread, go make a sandwich and get your mind off food...

Dave
fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
I've since learned that a friend of mine a few times a year has "Mountain Home Night" for dinner, his kids get all kinds of crazy excited about it.

What meals did you have?

We want to try the Breakfast Burrito ones.
John: I can't remember, but you know how camping goes, anything pretty much tastes good when you're hungry. I think we had pancakes for breakfast, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and Mountain House meals for dinner except for one evening we caught a few fish for dinner. Dexter, the guy that owned the horses and gear did all the cooking, I did all the dish washing, but I do remember that he brought along some canned fruit (pears) and puddings for deserts in the evenings.
fredaevans likes this.

Larry
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

I do several multi-night campouts a year and take freeze dried and MREs.
In my opinion Mountain House is the best freeze dried. I'm not a big fan of the Backpacker's Pantry, especially the breakfast. On the three and four night trips I'll take a few MREs also, freeze dried every night gets old, but I'd say Mountain House is usually tastier. The nice thing about MREs is that you get a side item, snacks, coffee, etc.

John, my favorites are the Lasagna with Meat Sauce, Beef Stew, and Beef Stroganoff with Noodles. The lasagna is better than some of the frozen stuff you get at the supermarket.
The only breakfast one that I like is the Breakfast Skillet. Bring some tortillas and douse it in your favorite pepper sauce and it's not bad.
Has anybody tried the ice cream? A buddy of mine always brings some, it's not frozen and looks like cotton candy.

I see some on the website that I can't find around here, that Chicken Alfredo
and Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice sound interesting.

Also if you need to save space check out the Pro-Pack, they are vacuum packed to remove the air and take up a lot less space.

In two weeks I'm doing a five day trip down the Neches River in East Texas and I'm about to stock up on the freeze dried, your post was timely.
fysh and mcnerney like this.