The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any Past/Present Pipe Smokers/Collectors?

Rip Tide,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but depending on your father's choices in briars, there may have been a lot of money in those old pipes. I've seen some of the vintage Dunhills and a few of the custom hand-made pipes go for BIG money, depending on the pipe, the maker and the like. If you stumble across any other pipes or pipe-smoking paraphernalia, drop me a PM and I can generally give you a rough idea of what it's worth.

The wind screen you posted really rock on a stream, in that they prevent fires in both your shirt or fly-vest pocket, or in the neighboring stands of trees.

One of my favorite pipes to take astream is a little "vest or pocket pipe," a small bowl arrangement with a bent stem that turns around to be set over the bowl, thereby making for a very compact package. A really nice little pipe to have around...

Now, I'm really going to date myself. With all of the talk about cigars, how many of you have had the "bug-repelling" pleasure of the old Swisher Sweets? My grandfather always had a 5-pack box of those in his vest, just for those special occasions when his pipe tobacco wasn't getting the job done. Does anybody know if these little cigars are still made?

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but depending on your father's choices in briars, there may have been a lot of money in those old pipes. I've seen some of the vintage Dunhills and a few of the custom hand-made pipes go for BIG money, depending on the pipe, the maker and the like. If you stumble across any other pipes or pipe-smoking paraphernalia, drop me a PM and I can generally give you a rough idea of what it's worth.
I'm not too worried about that.
All of his pipes were "well used" and probably not in a condition that would be worth a whole lot. There wasn't a single one that didn't have the stem chewed through.
He started smoking a pipe in WWII and it rarely left his mouth afterward. This is him in 1949

Click the image to open in full size.
littledavid123 and stuie675 like this.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
Rip Tide,

The wind screen you posted really rock on a stream, in that they prevent fires in both your shirt or fly-vest pocket, or in the neighboring stands of trees.

One of my favorite pipes to take astream is a little "vest or pocket pipe," a small bowl arrangement with a bent stem that turns around to be set over the bowl, thereby making for a very compact package. A really nice little pipe to have around...

Now, I'm really going to date myself. With all of the talk about cigars, how many of you have had the "bug-repelling" pleasure of the old Swisher Sweets? My grandfather always had a 5-pack box of those in his vest, just for those special occasions when his pipe tobacco wasn't getting the job done. Does anybody know if these little cigars are still made?

Jerry, aka hairwing530
ahhh. swisher sweets! soaked in rum - dipped in wine. i believe they're still available.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Swisher has a website.......they are still going strong.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Rip Tide,

That's a great shot of your Dad, especially with the pipe. Those were gentler times in that you weren't hammered into submission for enjoying the simple pleasures of a well-packed bowl. Thank you for posting it...

Now, I've got to go look up the Swisher website. Another "habit" that I don't need, but it would be great to have a box on my tying desk and one in my vest pocket... just in case... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

All the Swisher Sweets you need in Pa! Always get them buy one get one in 5 pack. In every flavor too! My go to streamside cigar.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Those have the little wooden mouth piece right? They smell like they would taste delicious but I have never tried one.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I gave up my pipe 25 years ago, but if you are serious about your pipes, you might need a seven day pipe box to keep your seven best in. A gentleman I go to church with built this seven pipe box...a lot went into it. He'd do it again for several grand.

An artisanal case for artisanal*pipes. - Neill's Blog - For smoking pipe and vintage tobacco collectors
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Those have the little wooden mouth piece right? They smell like they would taste delicious but I have never tried one.
Actually they come tipped or without.The tips are plastic. I like them without the tips as they taste ljke a full size stoogie that way. I think they smoke and taste great but the smell isn't the best!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Used to smoke pipes, now I smoke these

Click the image to open in full size.