The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Past/Present Pipe Smokers/Collectors?

As a child I had a red plastic one that blew bubbles. That's as close as I get.
gt05254, stuie675, yonder and 1 others like this.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Dear pa dave,

You are spot-on with the "seven-day rotation" approach, as it helps to maximize the life of a pipe and provides the best smoke. And, that "7-Day custom case" to which you provided a link is one beautiful piece of craftsmanship, as is the collection of pipes that are housed in said case.

Right now, however, such a case is beyond my reach... or my needs, to be honest. My "35-year" collection of pipes were all casualties of the break-in, as the pipe storage cases were busted up, and the pipes were snapped in half or stomped on. It was a tremendous waste of some very nice briars. Thankfully, some of my pipe-smoking friends have been generous to a fault with their own collections and I'm again back to the occasional bowl with some "new" additions to the mix. I also have three pipes that were out for repair and are now ready to be rotated back in.

I wonder if I could convince the "Speaker of the House" that I really need a "7-Day" rotation of rods and reels? You know... a 2-wt., a 3-wt., (2) 4-wts., (2) 5-wts. and a 6-wt. in varying lengths and with differing lines for this or that condition astream? Hey... it might be worth a shot! I'll let you know how it works out...

Be well, everybody... For us here in the northern reaches in Michigan, I'm praying that Spring is just around the corner... Jerry, aka hairwing530
stonewolf likes this.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Mr Worthless hanging out in the river. I usually pack a little Jobi pipe, some University Flake, and a flask of scotch. I'm glad nobody wants to go fishing with me. Don't have to share and I get the place to myself.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hardyreels, gt05254 and yonder like this.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM

stonewolf is on a distinguished road

@ hairwig530 I know how you feel every week i get home i round the corner to the river ... covered in ice i fall more into a drepression each time and this 9 inchs of snow was nice loolin.but its murder lol

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use it very often, really only occasionally while fishing. This past summer was so dry I generally avoided it. Here's a pic from September fishing a high altitude lake for some cutthroats. Not a great picture but what do you expect with me in it?

yonder likes this.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

williamhj,

In my book, there ARE no bad pictures when it features a day on a favorite stream or river! After all, you've got every ingredient necessary for a great shot-- a cutt, a nice piece of briar, and you ankle-deep in a nice-looking piece of water. My only question has to do with whether or not you were "hand-casting" for that cutt, or if there's a rod somewhere that I can't see? If you did it all by "hand," then I'm really impressed...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I thought everyone was hand casting? No the rod is on the shore, it was my 2wt with a rattan grip. That water was cold, a bit over 11,000 feet, just one lake up and the snow was melting. We ended up going down because it started sleeting and the guys sitting on the shore were getting cold... But it would have been a long, rough walk down alone without my brother's 4x4.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM

It's amazing how being chilled to the bone can inspire someone to threaten a man with "walking home..." My fly-fishing cronies have long since learned to indulge my impulse/need of "seeing what's just around the next bend in the river." Now, it's not because of their generous nature, mind you. It's due mostly because of the fact that we almost always take the ol' "Fish Truck"-- my 1998 Chevy Tahoe 4X4. Plenty of room for gear, decent gas mileage for a truck of that size, and good heaters, front and rear! That truck has seen its fair share of sand and muck over the years.

As for the 11,000 feet accomplishment? I'm willing to bet that I was in a 747 the last time I was anywhere near that mark!

By the way, nice fish!!!

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM

Thanks I love the cutts, the take foam beetles up there like crazy and it was cold and wet enough to bust out the pipe while much of the rest of the state was so dry this past summer.

The people who were cold had flown in from Chicago the evening before - landed at 5,000 ft, we drove them to just shy of 11,000 feet then had them hike up the the lake so I cut them some slack. Still it was hard to believe them telling me how cold it was while I was standing there, knee deep in the lake wet wading in water that had recently been snow I've learned I'll put up with a lot of discomfort if it means I can catch some fish, or perhaps the pipe was keeping me warm?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 AM

williamhj,

One would think that folks from Chicago would be used to brutal cold. I've visited "Chi-town" in the dead of winter-- if you ever have the chance to do that... pass --and the winds/snow/sleet coming off of Lake Michigan made me yearn for the relative "warmth" of an old-fashioned northern Michigan winter. We may get some frigid temps up here, but the surrounding pines, cedars and oak stands cut the wind to tolerable strength before it ever gets to us.

Still, the cold at 11,000 feet differs somewhat when compared to being closer to sea level. My last elk/mule deer/fishing trip-- it's been awhile --took us high into the mountain country, and while it was pleasant enough down at base camp, the cold during the nights spent on the side of the mountain could get a little intense. It also took me a day or two for my lungs to adjust enough to the thin air and allow me to enjoy a bowl while watching the sun drop behind the mountains.

Be that as it may, I'd still like to wet a line in that "cutt water" that you're standing in... And, I'll bring the tobacco...