The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Past/Present Pipe Smokers/Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
As a child I had a red plastic one that blew bubbles. That's as close as I get.
Smart guy Diver Dan, I am a non smoker but think it's a personal choice for everybody. When I was a teenager going into university, I hung out with a number of guys that smoked and I tried to fit in. Bought a couple of pipes that fascinated me and always carried one around. Even tried it a couple of times but stopped. Today I am 65 and have a healthy set of lungs and have no problem hiking to my favorite fishing spot. Glad I stopped smoking when I did.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

troutnut4,

Thank you for one of the most enlightened posts on the issue of "to smoke or not to smoke." While the "antis" of almost any ilk too often make their cause a personal issue, you chose the high ground and left it up to a matter of choice. All good, troutnut4...

My pipes represent 35+ years without pulling on 2.5 packs of Marlboros a day. I got up one morning while still in my mid-20's and decided that I'd had enough of cigarettes. I quit them that day, and never looked back. And, today, I'm glad I did...

The weaning process away from inhaling took a bit, but now I've managed to make smoking my pipe a matter of "timing and choice." The timing is dependent upon whether there are objections from those around me. The choice is all on me. Plainly put, I don't smoke where it's not wanted, or where it's not allowed...

On the river, however, I've found few fellow fly-wranglers who object to my pipe. Then again, they do like to pilfer a Swisher Sweets now and then... Hmmmmm...
yonder and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Smoked a Pipe for years. Zillion years back, still there?, a pipe shop in Victoria, BC that I happened to wander in .... God the Smell of that tobacco!

My mouth watered.

'Try a pinch of this and what do you think?

Touch too much Cavendish, tad too much 'Turkey.'

'You like a mild smoke don't you?'

Well yes, and he pushes over a jar of "Blend 90." 'I'll take a pound and can you ship to the US?'

I've never had a better smoke in my life. Taxation, even in the '60's was ridiculous in Canada. 'What I suggest is you buy a 1/4 pound "sample pack" as the taxation is far less, then have your wife buy another "sample Pack," didoo the two kids (illegal to sell to them, but who cared).

Purchased that stuff for years, 'sample pack' to me at home, one to the office, one to .. etc. And the tax rate just kept going up and up and up.

Finally had to call it 'quits' when a pound was $85.00 USD (far worse if you were in Canada).

God I miss that stuff!!!!

fae
Old 02-28-2013, 05:06 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

fae,

If you can describe the taste, odor-- aromatic or whatever the blend -- burning qualities, etc., maybe I can find something among my collection of aged tobaccos that you could sample and perhaps find a tobacco to your liking that won't find you re-mortgaging the house. Thanks to some good friends of mine and fellow "pipesters" and fly fishermen, I've got a fair amount of differing blends on hand.

Also, let me know your likes/dislikes in a tobacco, and perhaps, its general appearance? That might help to narrow it down a little more.

Me? I like a mild "aromatic" that fulfills my need for something that both tastes and smells good. Even thought the smoking of an "aro" is paramount to piping heresy, I still enjoy 'em. Besides, it keeps "my girls" happy. And, when you're sorely outnumbered-- the only other male to keep regular company in this family was a cat who passed a few years back --you do whatever you can to keep the peace.

So, if you can fill in some of the details via PM, I'll see what I can come up with for you... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
fae,

If you can describe the taste, odor-- aromatic or whatever the blend -- burning qualities, etc., maybe I can find something among my collection of aged tobaccos that you could sample and perhaps find a tobacco to your liking that won't find you re-mortgaging the house. Thanks to some good friends of mine and fellow "pipesters" and fly fishermen, I've got a fair amount of differing blends on hand.

Also, let me know your likes/dislikes in a tobacco, and perhaps, its general appearance? That might help to narrow it down a little more.

Me? I like a mild "aromatic" that fulfills my need for something that both tastes and smells good. Even thought the smoking of an "aro" is paramount to piping heresy, I still enjoy 'em. Besides, it keeps "my girls" happy. And, when you're sorely outnumbered-- the only other male to keep regular company in this family was a cat who passed a few years back --you do whatever you can to keep the peace.

So, if you can fill in some of the details via PM, I'll see what I can come up with for you... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Sounds like I'm going to have to break in a new Brierwood (sp?). For those of you have never smoked a 'pipe' there is no such thing as a 'cheap' good wood pipe. As odd off as it may seem, the old 'clay' pipes were extraordinarily good, but easy to break. Bummer there.

End game is the choice of Tobacco runs from very mild to you think someone's doing a welding project on your tongue. End game of all that (new pipe) is 'choice' and buy 'cheap' tobacco and just burn it in the bowl to get a good 'char.' (Not needed with a clay.) Actually blow down the stem to keep it lit. This process will take longer than you'd think.

All that said, haven't smoked a 'pipe' in years but do 'roll my own' smokes (one at a time tube loading machine) and still smoke pipe TaaBako.

Photo above of a round pipe holder; if you dive off the edge they're excellent. Some will think 'YUCK!' that has to stink. Not so, 'aroma' of a series of well seasoned cold pipes is extraordinarily good.

Back to the "Blend 90" for a moment; folks would stop me on the streets in down town Seattle and ask: 'God that smells good, where did you get it?????'

0200 working ramble here (yes, my 'work' calls for 0100 to 0200 up and on the lap tops) but if you 'smoke' 'fillers' and 'flavorings' are what kill a great Smoke.

fae

The taste of burning wood sucks.......
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

My best friend brought back a nice ebony pipe from Africa. Not sure where it fits in on the whole briar scale. Smokes nice though. Need some new mild tabbacie.

Click the image to open in full size.

cheers
phil
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:16 PM

I'd say that your ebony pipe dovetails into the "pipe" mix just fine. While briar may be the more dominant species in the world of pipes, why shouldn't ebony just ease right in alongside the meers, clay pipes, and even a MM cob? While an MM cob doesn't carry the same status as a Dunhill, Ashton or custom briar, I have a couple in my small lot of pipes, just because they smoke well, are great for trying out a new tobacco, and if you're working outside or on a stream, their cost isn't so great that they can't easily be replaced, if lost or broken.

And, as for your ebony pipe? It's really a good-looking pipe! And, as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters... Jerry, aka hairwing530
noreaster likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Got this in the mail a few days ago. Early birthday present to myself.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:38 PM

innes,

Now, that just isn't fair, showing off like that!! Great-looking pipe, and some fine tobacco, indeed. I'm almost afraid to see what you'll offer up next! You really know how to hurt a snow-bound, northern Michigan pipester... But, it's all good!!!

Enjoy the smoke, and though it might be vicarious in nature, let me know how it is... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Don't tell me that we've run out of fanciers of the briar and leaf? If I can ever figure out how best to post photos, I may throw one or two of my own pipes into the mix... Jerry, aka hairwing530