The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Any Past/Present Pipe Smokers/Collectors?

While browsing through a few old fishing catalogs the other day-- A&F from the 1910's, LL Bean in the early 1950's and an old Orvis catalog --I noted certain items that wouldn't be allowed in today's offerings-- pipes and tobacco. All of them featured some sort of "angler's pipe" and a tobacco to go with it. Even one of the old Hardy's catalogs featured a pipe. So...

How many of my fly-fishing brethren on this site are past or present pipe smokers or collectors? Just curious to see how many still follow in the footsteps of their fly-wrangling elders. My grandfather and his lifelong fishing partner-- "Doc" Holship --(the two men who taught me how to fly-fish)always had a pipe in pocket whenever they went astream. It will be interesting to hear how many "pipesters" we have among the group, especially given the craftsmanship of many of today's smoking pipes...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Past/Present Pipe Smokers/Collectors?

Count me in:
Click the image to open in full size.

Posted a photo tour of my cave just for the fun of it on my blog today, you might enjoy the place!

Gary
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Just that one photo alone would convince me that I was in a "welcome" place, given my affection for all things "fly" and a good piece of briar smoked well. The women of this house-- and at one time, there were five! --used to call my tying area "cluttered," which was their way of saying that it was a mess, in their estimation.

Still, "BTR"-- before the robbery/break-in last month --I could lay my hands on almost anything in or around my "mess" without even pausing to think about it! Now, in a rare bit of compromise after the clean-up-- hey, I'm out-numbered here --I've given in and packed some stuff away in storage bins nearly stacked next to or atop the desk. The problem is... there now are times when I can't find a thing!!! So much for organization!!!!!

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Count me in also.....I enjoy the briar pipe stoked with a good burley!!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I smoke cigars from time to time, I started because I enjoy the smell of cigars, not the smell of bug spray. I have been considering picking up a pipe for some time now for a couple reasons. First, is smoking a cigar gets old for me after a while especially while trying to fish. Some sticks can take an hour and a half. Second, I am always concerned about dropping hot ash on my fly line.

I think a pipe would be perfect. Easy to hold in the mouth since you don't have to worry about biting through a leaf, you don't have to smoke them non stop for over an hour and depending on the tobacco, they will be cheaper in the long run it seems.

I have yet to bite the bullet, or lucite in this case.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I switched over to the pipe for these same reasons.......and I am enjoying it more!! After the initial investment in a rotation of pipes, I find the cost of pipe tobacco to be a good bargain over quality cigars.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I recently gave away or tossed all of my father's pipes, and he had a lot. Some of them probably dated back to WWII
When we were "afield" he always snapped on one of these perforated wind caps.
The cool thing was that when we fished in the rain, you'd look over and he'd be puffin' away..... with the pipe up-side down

Click the image to open in full size.
noreaster and yonder like this.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:26 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Uncle Gary, that cave of yours is a garage sale waiting to happen.

Dave
gt05254 likes this.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM

stonewolf is on a distinguished road

Nothin like a deep nutty burle after a day of cold water lol and beer of course

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2
yonder likes this.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

That is very cool Rip Tide!