The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: One Last Question, and I Promise I'll Quit...

"And, gtO5254... Great job on the bookshelves! You just might have to make a "working/fishing" trip to northern Michigan to build a shelving unit or two. Remember... the AuSable River is only about 65 steps away..."

thanks for the kind words, Jerry...and have construction trailer, will travel. lol.

Gary
Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

So, gt05254... you have a construction trailer, eh? We just may have to talk in the near future about a "working fishing trip..."

Actually, if the truth be known, the Speaker of the House would no opt for a trip out your way. She liked the whole "Bennington, Manchester Center, Manchester and points north and east" trek that we took some years back. She even went so far as to put the totals of my purchases to shame at both Orvis and LL Bean (we ended up in Freeport, ME). Granted, a lot of the stuff was for me, but still...

Being as close as you are... do you ever get over to Manchester, as if I have to ask? Is the Sirloin Saloon still in business there? Back in the day, that place featured some incredible steaks and outstanding "Saloonaritas..."
Manchester also was home to a number of rather unique bookstores. Hence, my interest...
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I was just in Manchester the other day, Jerry, getting my hair cut. And yes, the Sirloin Saloon is still in business. Since it appears its been awhile since your trip, you may not have been inside the new Orvis flagship store. Next to it is the American Museum of Fly Fishing, which used to be in a little cottage down next to the Equinox. I engineered the move to new, improved location.

And LL Bean. Was there this past summer to get Bridget new waders on our way to New Brunswick and salmon fishing. Seems like they move the fishing and hunting depts every year from one building to another. I can remember when it was all in the one main building.

Gary
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I definitely prefer 'real' books too

I did buy a Kindle, it makes it easy to 'check-out' an eBook from the Library without driving into town. For page turning reading of ficiton
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

gt05254,

It has been awhile since our last trip East, and I'd really enjoy seeing what you did with the AMFF building, as well as a side trip to the Orvis store. I've always loved the Northeast and its beautiful terrain. But, it's tough to get me to leave Michigan for long, as it is top-heavy in the number of good trout streams.

Besides, I'm a "homer"-- born here, raised here, and probably will make my final cast here. And, there's a strange sense of peaceful satisfaction to be found in the knowledge that one is easily able to get to this or that spot on almost any river, a sense of direction borne via years of experience. I must be getting old... Jerry, aka hairwing530
gt05254 likes this.

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-01-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Books work long after the power goes out the batteries run down and they feel good in your hands. I'll always take a book over an e-reader. I can see their place, but convenience is a small piece of the puzzle. Fast food is convenient, but hardly the most enjoyable food.

Of course, I'm in printing, so I do have a vested interest. Personally, I think the popularity of e-readers will grow in proportion to the increasing cost of printing and distributing hard copies. Eventually, print costs will become prohibitive. Just my take on the crystal ball.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 PM

pa dave,

I agree with you that the e-readers will continue to grow in popularity... for awhile. Eventually, as all things do, however, I believe that there will be a "re-birth" of sorts in the appreciation of a printer's craft, and you'll see the old-fashioned copies of the hard covers experience a popularity upswing once again. Let's fact it... No matter how they're packaged, e-readers don't exactly make for an impressive library shelf...

Given that belief, I'm currently trying to stock-pile as many of the classic fly-fishing books in "aged" hard-covers as I can, my investment toward the aging process that will again bring back the renewed "age of books."

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I like both methods of reading. I do enjoy a "real" book for certain types of reading, a book with great pictures, for example.

Some of the things I like about my Kindle are as follows:
Books for the kindle are typically half the price or less than real books.
I read a lot, so storage of real books is a challenge.
I like being able to put the cursor on a word and have the definition pop up.
I like not having to drive anywhere to have to buy a new book.
I broke my kindle once. Called them and had a new one in hand the next day.

There is something very nice about bookcases and their contents, though.

So I'm saying both have their advantages. I suspect there's one or two people out there who are anti e-reader just because they resist change. Talking to my brother-in-law today. He was complaining about kids these days and their attire, tattoos, etc. I said, "Come on, this is 2013, things change, to which he replied "Not for me." With that attitude, we'd all be wearing powdered wigs and some pretty strange pants.

Larry, Pinedale has a gym?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I have two reasons for liking real books over digital:
1. I make bookcases like these for a living (such as it is)

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

And if you click on my blog, you find out the other reason...I just like books and they make the cave just that much cozier!
Gary
More nice work Gary I always seem to move into the wrong neighborhood.
gt05254 likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM

hey jsquires,

I agree with you on the subject of change. For some, it's a bitter pill to swallow, especially when one doesn't understand the mindsets involved. For others, it's nigh onto impossible to accept in almost any form.

I usually approach "change" as part of the growing process-- or growing "older" process --though I'll confess to having my "old-fashioned" favorites, or not truly understanding some of today's latest, greatest crazes.

The art of the tattoo, for example, comes to mind. I don't have one, but I get the premise of a little skin art. That said, what's up with the whole body "tattoo" approach? I ran into a guy yesterday with more "body artwork" than most museums have paintings! When I asked him about a couple of his "tats,"-- he had an amazing brook trout tattooed to his left forearm --he lamented that he'd had most of it done a few years back, and now regretted having done so much. From what I'm told, the removal process is rather painful...

Getting back to the e-readers and their books... The biggest concern that I have is how slowly the publishing world has been to address the "electronic rights" issues with authors. In their haste to cash in on the e-book trade, a number of publishers and sites have offered books for sale via download without negotiating for the electronic rights with the authors, thereby setting the stage for legal challenges not unlike what the music industry went through a few years ago. After the initial advance, most authors, especially in the outdoor fields, are lucky if they get 10 percent of on the overall book sales, paid semi-annually. That's why you see so many writers/photographers out peddling their own books at fly-fishing shows and the like.

If there is one BIG plus to the whole e-reader craze, it's that the e-readers have inspired new generations of readers as a whole, ones who generally check out a book-- classic or new --via their e-readers and then purchase the hard-cover version later on. And, that, my friend, is a good thing.

Do I believe that the publishing/marketing worlds will catch up and do the right thing by their authors? They'll have to, as more and more "copyright infringement" cases are decided in the author's favor. In fact, after a very high-profile case cost one company far more money than they gained by not negotiating for the electronic rights, many of the new book contracts now feature an added "kick" for the inclusion of the rights to sell a printed work as a download. I guess that you could say that it's all part of the process of "changing with the times..."
jsquires likes this.