The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: One Last Question, and I Promise I'll Quit...

I like my Kindle, I typically read mutliple books instead of reading one all the way through, so it is nice being able to carry all those books in a small compact device.

I still get magazines sent to me, but I also have a few subscriptions on my Kindle, and really only reason I have the magazines still coming is because I got signed up for a free lifetime subscription, so I let them keep coming lol I think it is SportRider and Motorcyclist.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Hairwing, you make excellent points.
On the books, I'm torn because I like having the physical books around. I will admit, though, a high percentage never got touched again once placed on the bookshelf.

On the subject of change, I've felt compassion for the Tattooed Man in the circus - out of business. And, frankly, I'm not a fan of some of the fashion trends these days - or some of my generation's fashion trends as I think back. What does bother me, though, is folks who get frozen in time (that part is all right), think only their fashions, music, morals are proper, and then try to impose their standards (that part is not all right for me) on others. I can think of a couple of nasty dictators/tyrants who had that philosophy. Life is too short to hate others because of their beliefs and lifestyles - makes one into a bitter old person who dwells on such things. And you know what? If we were by chance born in certain other countries and decided we didn't want a tattoo, we might be considered odd. Life and let live. Enjoy the Kindle for its convenience and cost savings, enjoy the physical books for their beauty.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM

hairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to behold

jsquires... Like you, I tend to stand fast to the rule about "live and let live..." I don't profess to being the "be-all, end-all" Wizard of Oz-- or Odd, depending on who you talk to --nor do I feel that my opinion(s) are the final word on any subject. In fact, I enjoy a good conversation with a diversity of opinion on almost any subject, so long as it doesn't become a "pile-on" against a member of the group for having a different point of view. It's amazing how we can become so set in our ways... until presented with another approach that not only makes sense, but can be backed up by fact.

And, I agree with you about life being too short to hate... At various times in my 15-year battle with brain cancer, my appearance changed dramatically-- hair loss, weight gain, and a generally unhealthy look. Chemo and radiation treatments are evil taskmasters.

As a result of my "cancer wars," you might be surprised to know that a few of my former fishing cronies actually walked away from our lifelong friendships and never looked back. They couldn't handle my illness or how I looked, and they didn't like feeling uncomfortable around me.

At first, I was royally PO'd. But, my anger soon became sympathy, as I began to feel truly sorry for them. How sad it is when we as friends and fellow fly-wranglers can't overcome our fears or give into an inability/unwillingness to understand something like brain cancer, and choose instead to just walk away. Therein lies part of the reason as to why I've taught free winter tying classes for so many years to a small group of "my kids"-- kids battling cancer, and their folks. It's life-changing to see how big of a difference can be made in the life of a sick child via the mere wrapping of a hook, especially when taught by someone(me) who knows exactly what they endure each and every day of their lives. And, I'll continue to teach the annual classes-- along with a few friends and family members who've long since joined the effort --until I'm no longer walking the confines of this earth...

And here is where I end my sermonette for now... Jerry, aka hairwing530

As for a "tat" anytime soon? I seriously doubt it, as I've seen enough needles to last three lifetimes, just in my 15+ years of battling cancer...
pa dave likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
I've been asked this question countless times over the last 35 years, and in light of the newer technologies out there, today's inquiry made me wonder if I was seriously out of step with the world. A friend wondered why I still have so many books and storage boxes of magazines scattered around my office when there are electronic readers like the "Kindle" or "Nook" available. My answer has never varied and remains the same... I prefer a collection of books or magazines that I can lay my hands on.

Your thoughts? Magazines and old-fashioned books, or the electronic readers?

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Bringing this initial postage back to the top. Excellent question, but I think it may be a question of 'age.' Time in Grade?

The feel of 'paper' in my hand is a good thing. You can post 'anything' on the Internet, but to get it in print? Another whole game.

Sit, read, come back to same time later, contimplate, agree/agree to disagree. Wonderful stuff. You're mind isn't fully engaged? You're 'dead,' you just haven't stopped breathing yet.

Fun post up in another thread: 'You've only got 6,000 posts here, but 16,000 posts' over there.' Had to laugh, but my work day (PST) starts AT 0100 TO 0200 my time. Two lap tops working to follow 'the markets.'

One set for 'fun time,' the other for 'really serious shxt.'

#2 is the mental coffee break?

I suspect so.
fae
Old 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Jerry, you are correct that I am surprised that several of your friends faded away due to your illness. But I had a brother I was extremely close to who died of brain cancer, so maybe I have a bit more understanding than those "friends" did.
Anyway, I like your philosophy and can only hope to run into you on a stream someday. It's wonderful what you are doing for the kids.
BTW, here is something that bothers me about folks who are bothered by the younger generation and tattoos: Why didn't the tattoos on servicemen offend them? Selective anger.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 PM

hairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to behold

jsquires,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother and his brain cancer. You have my sympathies, my friend...

Cancer in any form is an insidious disease, one that's relentless in its destructive nature, and an illness that slams home with a "take no prisoners" life-altering approach. It knows no boundaries-- age, gender, status and the like. I've been blessed with having out-run my disease/cancer demons longer than most, and living far longer than the original prognosis.

The idea for the classes with "my kids" came about during my recovery from my first brain tumor. Because of the prolonged stay and rehab necessary-- kicking all of my motor skills back into high gear took some doing --my chief oncologist(also a fly-fisher) felt that doing repetitive tasks like those found in my tying would be good therapy. My wife brought my portable kit to the hospital, and it wasn't long before I had kids from the Children's Cancer Wing stopping by to watch-- a few at first, and then a steady stream. It was then and there that I decided to continue the process back at home, if the interest was there. It was, and still is...

Brain tumor #2 almost short-circuited things. The tumor rendered me blind from late 2004 throughout much of '09, and I thought my teaching AND tying days were over. Enter our two youngest daughters, some of my fly-wrangling cronies and a wealth of volunteers to assist with the classes. I was determined not to give it up, sight or no sight.

Then, in late '09, two very talented and gifted surgeons worked to restore my sight for over 12+ hours in a "Hail Mary" surgery, a procedure that most doctors said was pointless as restoration was impossible. Today, I write this with eyes that again see just fine, a gift I've enjoyed more than I can say.

I'll continue to host the classes throughout whatever time I have left. It was a promise that I made to our late daughter, Laramie, and it's one I intend to keep. She left us in 2010 after a long fight with leukemia, just coming up on 15 years old...

I hope we meet one day on the river, as well, most likely during an "on-river" fly swap. It's been known to happen on our stretch of the water. And, my last word of tattoos... Kids, wear 'em proud, as everybody should... especially those who've served... I'm still trying to design mine... (???)

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 PM

Jerry, I'm thinking a Phoenix for the tattoo. Amazing story. Thanks for sharing.
John
Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM

John,

A Phoenix might be the most appropriate, though I have to admit that I took something of a liking to the brook trout tat that I saw. I'll post photos, if and when that day ever comes...

As for my life's story? I wish that it wasn't a long journey through cancer centers, labs and operating rooms. My life would be far more simplistic by definition without the cancerous background. But then, a part of me wonders if my overall perspective would be vastly different, the whole "glass half-full" approach.

After all, I no longer take "tomorrows" as a guaranteed prospect of the future. I don't take for granted things like family, friends, my eyesight, my abilities to do the "normal things" in life, nor another day spent astream. Since cancer threw down the gauntlet and challenged me head-on, I've shed that hint of immortality that we all carry in our younger years, replacing it with the knowledge that the sight of the first light breaking over the river valley is a gift, much like every additional day that I spend drawing breath. I've seen the possibilities of "mortality" first-hand, and it's been a long, long time since any aspect of my life has not been seen as "the glass being half-full..."

In the end, I've promised myself a departure from this mortal coil with no regrets in any way, shape or form... And, like a true promise is meant to be, I fully intend to keep this one as well... Cliche'? Not hardly... Just my own realities...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
pa dave likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I find Books are Still The Best way of Reading finding out info,even though there's heaps of Info around not everything is on Kindle,Yet !!!
Also as mentioned it's good to have Books around,I find mainly to gather Dust,they fill in The Blank spots on The Walls,they are The Quickest way to source Info as friends always dive into my Bookcase to Check many Subjects.
Even though at Times they are in the way non of us would ever get rid of them,that's another job for our Siblings when we moove on.
Brian
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Reading over the posts in this thread, Brian's, just above this one ("Even though at Times they are in the way non of us would ever get rid of them,that's another job for our Siblings when we moove on.") got me thinking, but in a different direction. My mother was one of the coolest, most lovable persons this planet has ever seen. I have scant number of photos to remember her by, a couple of her paintings, and one of the best of all...her first edition copy of "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

I'm trying to imagine, in just a couple more generations, the joy of receiving your mother's already outmoded kindle. lol, really.

Gary