The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: One Last Question, and I Promise I'll Quit...

That's a very good point, Gary.

And speaking of books, I think you should write one, Jerry. You have an amazing story and you have a command of the English language and grammar. I'd buy the book - and I'd want the "real" book version, signed by you. Okay, get busy.
fysh likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Jerry, I'm happy to challenge the very subject of this thread, "One last question, and I promise I'll quit..." I get the sense that you will never quit.

I watched my sister fight through her ovarian cancer and claim her 10% chance to live. The way you describe your experience, I think that you two are very much alike.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

pa dave,

You're right... It isn't in me to quit-- on anything or anybody --nor has it ever been a part of who I am. My grandparents raised me with a blessedly deep appreciation of their "don't know the meaning of the word can't" attitude, and I guess they left it to me to safe-guard as well. Despite illnesses, hard times and the challenges of raising their first-born grandson, they drew on their own inner strength and faith, and prevailed in the face of what were often tremendous odds to the contrary. I owe them far too much to detail in one PM...

And, pa dave, I'm officially adding your sister to my list of "true heroes." That she looked down into the depths of the despair known as cancer, spit in the face of the cancer "percentiles" and keeps on living her life makes her a hero in my book. She has my vote-- and prayers --for a long life ahead...

And, John... If I ever get around to writing a book, you'll be the first on the list for an autographed copy. I'd no doubt write about life, but only in the form of a third-person collection of short stories. It would be more to my liking in that form, rather than anything amounting to "auto-bio..." That sort of chest-thumping just isn't my style...

One more thing... Gary, I promise you that you can have my old copy of "Flies" by J. Edson Leonard. I'm sure that you'd appreciate, as I did, the old yellow notebook pages tucked inside the book by its original owner. On those pages are some fly patterns, a few shopping lists, and some of the most beautiful penmanship that I've yet to see. His handwriting borders on artistic in nature...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
fredaevans and gt05254 like this.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've been giving and receiving books as gifts for years. I'd have trouble parting with most of those.
I was in the sci-fi book club for years, read and reread the many books I bought from them, but didn't have any trouble parting with them when my sci-fi period ended. Same with the military book club.
I used to pass on my hook and bullet magazines to the kids in our youth hunting group, but there doesn't seem to be much interest. Now I drop stacks in doctors' and hospital waiting rooms and at the blood bank when I donate.
So far, I'm keeping NW Flyfishing and hoping to get to some of those locations someday. Also holding on to my Drake mags. Good writin' and photos.
I've never tried an Ebook.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

I'm with you, JoJer... I'd have a problem giving up the vast majority of my books. Even when they've become a bit dusty from a lack of reading or use, I'm still comforted by the feel of a book near the couch or bed. Books, for me, continue to have that certain ability to transport me to somewhere I've never been, or to experience a little something new in the world of fishing or hunting.

As well, I enjoy the true workmanship of a good story-teller, his or her ability to craft that grand collection of observations and words that draws the reader in and holds his attention, if only for a short while. A good story told well takes me back to the days when stories around a campfire were the norm, and almost everyone had a story to tell.

And, if the truth be known, I'm a sucker for the art of making a fine book. The craftmanship of a great printer/binder is disappearing, and when it's gone, I will miss it.

One last thing, especially when it comes to a used book, is the mystery to be found of wondering who owned the book before me. Book plates intrigue me, and I truly enjoy the notations sometimes found written in a book. And, if there's some sort of notes included on paper and stuck inside the book, so much the better, in my humble opinion... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 PM

KA8ASX is on a distinguished road

I don't think age has any thing to do with it - I'm just a couple of months shy of 81 and i gave up hardbacks a number of years ago. I like to read three or four books at the same time and my iPad handles this very nicely. I don't fight change, I enjoy it. I think the way science and technology is advancing so rapidly is awesome.

Don - NQ9X

"I'm not in the least bit afraid of death - after all,
I was dead for several million years before I
was born, and it hasn't done me one bit of harm. . . Mark Twain
williamhj and jsquires like this.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 AM

If, by implication or statement, I left you with the impression that I was "anti-change" or "anti-technology," please accept my apologies. The truth of the matter is that I'm neither of those. In fact, I'm very much "pro-technology," as it has played a major role in my long-term survival from three bouts with brain cancer. So, I owe much to the advances in technology.

As for "change?" Again, I cite my cancer experiences. The ever-changing advances in my treatments have proven to be a very good thing for me. And, to that end, I embrace "change."

The bottom line to my own personal philosophy about change is that it's every man or woman's choice as to whether or not they embrace the "changes" that occur in one's lifetime. The iPads, Kindles and Nooks have helped many folks continue their ability to read, and for that, they should be applauded. And, in many cases, the changing technology has inspired a whole new generation of readers... again, a good thing.

That said, my point was that the e-readers just aren't for me-- a personal viewpoint, and nothing else. My choice is not a condemnation of the e-readers. Rather, it's merely my way of reading a book in a manner that pleases me. It's neither right nor wrong... it's just me!

I'm glad that you continue to read via your iPad, and that it works out for you. All good... And, as for the age thing? Age has nothing to do with adapting to change or technology. I've just chosen to grow older with my books, many of which will be passed on to my children. But then, that's just me and my approach to reading...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Books for me as well, though I think the modern technology has it's place.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 AM

I agree, fysh, on the "technology has its place." As my job often requires a lot of research, the Internet has become a great tool to use. (Grayling, Michigan doesn't have the largest of libraries...)

And, I agree as well on a decided preference for books. Lately, every trip to the mailbox has the Speaker of the House issuing her favorite statement regarding my book purchases... "And, the hits just keep on comin'..." Fortunately, when it comes to some genre of books, she's as bad as I am!