The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default One Last Question, and I Promise I'll Quit...

I've been asked this question countless times over the last 35 years, and in light of the newer technologies out there, today's inquiry made me wonder if I was seriously out of step with the world. A friend wondered why I still have so many books and storage boxes of magazines scattered around my office when there are electronic readers like the "Kindle" or "Nook" available. My answer has never varied and remains the same... I prefer a collection of books or magazines that I can lay my hands on.

Your thoughts? Magazines and old-fashioned books, or the electronic readers?

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-27-2013, 05:24 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: One Last Question, and I Promise I'll Quit...

I'll take the magazines and books any day. I read enough on the internet and spend a lot of my time at work on the pc. It's nice to sit down with a book and a magazine. Books I keep. Magazines I toss.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have a kindle and I like it for books I won't need to reference or mark-up at all. Handy for bringing some novels on trips, reading in bed when my wife is sleeping, etc etc. For other things I want hard copies and have over the 1,000 books. Some I'll probably get rid of but many I'll keep because e-readers don't work well for real study or reference, at least for me.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

as far as Im concerned, a hands on approach is what i prefer. However lately i have been reading off of my iPhone. Been slowly working though the Louis L'Amour collection. havin it on my phone is very convenient and allows me to read anywhere. Now a magazine is different though, id rather have the mag in hand. i still have boxes of hunting and fishing, snowmobiling, firefighting, truck etc etc magazines that my wife thinks ive thrown away.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

While I like the idea of E-readers, I'm old school. As I told my teenage kids, there is a reason buy the US navy still has paper maps on-board even though they have electronic mapping systems...paper maps don't run out of batteries or malfunction.

I'll take the books and mags anyday. Besides, how can you get an author to sign an e-copy of a book and have it be worth anything?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I have two reasons for liking real books over digital:
1. I make bookcases like these for a living (such as it is)

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

And if you click on my blog, you find out the other reason...I just like books and they make the cave just that much cozier!
Gary
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bet that I've bought at least a dozen "experienced" fly fishing books in just the last month.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

YouTube and other digital formats are great for looking up fly patterns, but books are the way to go if reading text. I love to hold a book when reading and find that I absorb information from a page more thoroughly than from electronic formats.

Why "one last question"? I learn a lot from other peoples questions and answers.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Well, so far at least, it looks as if the "in the hands" books are far and away the favorites. And, I'm glad to see it. As a child of the "eras of the book," I'm more than just a little partial toward the printed word with a hard cover, and the possibilities of an author's signature.

Another facet of books that intrigues me whenever I buy an "experienced fishing book," to use Rip Tide's description, is the never-answered questions about the man who owned said book before me. A good example can be found in an old copy of "Flies," by J. Edson Leonard that I received via one of my "blind box" auction wins. Tucked in the middle of the book was a cluster of yellow-notebook pages, all carrying fly patterns and shopping lists, and all hand-written. Reading through those pages alone made the book even more of a favorite...

dakotakid... When the day comes that I run out of questions about things that cause me to wonder, please start to worry about me! Not to fear... There will be more questions in the days, weeks, months to come...

And, gtO5254... Great job on the bookshelves! You just might have to make a "working/fishing" trip to northern Michigan to build a shelving unit or two. Remember... the AuSable River is only about 65 steps away...

By the way, does your library have a system in place for "checking out" a title?? There are a few on your shelves that I've yet to read... (I'm kidding, of course)

Tie 'em well, and fish 'em hard, everyone... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I generally like hard books and magazines over Ebooks; however lately I have been using an IPad when I'm working out at the gym and that has been very interesting listening to fly fishing podcasts and FF3 films. Today I was up at the Jackson hospital in the waiting room and I opened Fly Tyer magazine and for the most part it worked fine, but then I got to one point where the next page would just not load, after several minutes I got frustrated and moved on to something else. Granted it was a public WiFi connection so the speed probably wasn't very good.