The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road
Default The San Juan NM

If any of you out there are frequenters on any tailwater besides the San Juan, I am inquiering for opinions on the use of multiple fly rigs in your home waters. If you tune in to the ifly4trout.com web-site there is a huge battle raging over this issue. In actuality the issues facing the San Juan are much more serious than that but at the moment this seems to have everyones attention. Maybe someone can offer some good advise. midgeaholic
Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: The San Juan NM

Midgeaholic,

It would far more appropriate for you to present the problem on this forum so all NAFFF members knows what is going on and can discuss it here. Many of us fish the San Juan and would appreciate your input.

Frank
Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I would add that there's also discussion on this issue on the sister Forum to this one, the San Juan River Forum. In fact, Steve Robbins, who also administers that worthwhile (although specialized) Forum, just posted on it an open letter to all San Juan fly-fishers from Jude Duran, one of the most respected guides on the San Juan. Perhaps Steve would re-post that letter here. With the vast readership of this Forum - many of them regular San Juan fly-fishers - it might elicit even more adverse public response to the New Mexico Game & Fish's consideration of a ban on using more than two flies on one line.

Of course, for me, I can't even cast two flies without tangling them - what would I do with three?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:22 AM

if anyone is interested on the goings on at the San Juan, please log into Mike Moras ifly4trout.com You will get a sense of what is really happening on the river and the situation. midgeaholic
Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Anything new on the "Juan"?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Hi there, The San Juan is now at high flow rates due to the unusually big snow pack in the Colorado mountains. The high cfs will help scour the silt and sand from the river beds and hopefully restore the insect populations to normal. As of now, wading can be trecherous if you do not know where to go and Float fishing with a guide would be your best bet. The best time to go would be when the flows are restored to 750- 1000 or so. We are expecting a great season when the run off ebbs. midgeaholic
Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Frank,
Help me out here if you would.

This sight is associated with "Aztec Anglers" right? if so, how come they don't post anything of the goings on @ the Juan.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page you will find similar threads about the SJ that have been posted in the past.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeaholic View Post
Hi there, The San Juan is now at high flow rates due to the unusually big snow pack in the Colorado mountains. The high cfs will help scour the silt and sand from the river beds and hopefully restore the insect populations to normal. As of now, wading can be trecherous if you do not know where to go and Float fishing with a guide would be your best bet. The best time to go would be when the flows are restored to 750- 1000 or so. We are expecting a great season when the run off ebbs. midgeaholic
I'm hearing that the high (4000-5000cfs) flows may last well into July (putting my mid-July trip there in jeopardy).
Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page you will find similar threads about the SJ that have been posted in the past.

Dave, bottom of what page?

Fly2fish, looks like you may have to extend your trip to the Wyoming area, but the way it sounds it may not be much better. You could always concentrate on still waters if you had to.

Sure is hard not to cuss something that we needed so badly!