The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree629Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

Jerry: You are indeed my hero, you have endured more than any man should have to endure in a lifetime, I commend you for that and my hat is off to you sir! Keep up the good work you do, expecially the time you spend with your kids that have been stricken early on in life with cancer!!!!
fysh likes this.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Sometimes, "the fates" can be both cruel and kind. Never predictable, mind you, but always decisive in their final impact. Said "fates" know no middle ground, only the end result of being either a source of "cruel" judgment or one of a lasting kindness. Come the twilight hours tonight, I may be witness to "the fates" bending a bit to become a mix of both extremes, a rarity in my experience.

This evening will bring with it the return of the little setter/spaniel mix to its rightful owners, providing their story checks out. From what I was told last night, the small dog was taken during a visit to the family's "part-time" cabin over two weeks ago, before being dumped somewhere near the "Trail's End" property. As the crow flies, the dog could have been tossed out at any point along a seven-mile area. Why it took the owners so long to engage the "tracking chip" implanted in the dog is beyond my comprehension...

"The fates" were cruel in what the small dog was forced to endure during its wanderings, then kind in allowing me to find the tri-colored mix on a small hummock on the backside property at "Trail's End." And, if I'm completely honest with you, I was hoping to have her around for awhile, as she had the promise of being a good companion. However, "the fates" have dictated otherwise.

So, before the heat starts to build for the day, the small dog and I are going to re-visit "Trail's End," spend an hour or so just wandering, and then return home to await her departure later on. It will be a cruel fate to see her go, but I can think of no better fate of kindness than to restore the small dog to the family with whom she's been raised, especially the children. No child should be without "their" dog...

As it stands, I'm starting to wondering if "Trail's End" will ever stop teaching me something new with every visit, and knowing full well that this recent lesson is nothing more than "the fates" reminding me that I really need to get another dog to mess around with...
fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Somewhere around "mid-stream" yesterday-- or about 2:00 pm --I changed directions on the small setter/spaniel's return, hastily sketching a map and asking The Speaker of the House to direct her owners to meet me and the dog at "Trail's End." I thought it right and appropriate that since the dog and I met along its "back 40," we also should part ways there in the clearing that fronts the cabin.

The dog and I spent our last hours together "exploring" the place, messing around, if you will and wandering parts of the property that I seldom see much anymore. It felt good to be "killing time" with a quisitive four-legged youngster again, especially one that seemed to really take to being allowed to roam and seek out the odd holding areas for "Trail's End's" deer, ruffed grouse and woodcock populations.

It seemed as if we'd just arrived when I heard the car approaching via the two-track leading into the place. In actuality, over three hours had passed, yet my legs showed little in the way of fatigue. I had witnessed something that I hadn't seen in years-- two rock-solid points on tight-sitting grouse. And, truth be known, I felt the same sort of "being alive" as I do when I feel the tug of a good trout.

The reunion of the dog and its family was soul-satisfying and disheartening, all at once, one of those bitter-sweet moments when you know you're doing the right thing for all the right reasons, and it still fails to numb the nagging feeling of the loss from an encounter that was brief, yet very, very good for an older "trout and bird" guy.

As I watched the car disappear around the small twist in the two-track, I took to the steps and settled into one of the front porch chairs, trying hard to think only about the few hours spent "afield" with the small dog. And, in those moments of reflection, I decided that it truly was time for another dog to call our place "home."

Someone asked me recently how I would describe "Trail's End" and the late Montgomery Jackson? To me, "Trail's End" was/is a place that is both a physical location and a mindset. It's always been and always will be a stronghold of good friends, strong ethics, fly rods, wet dogs, gun oil, and pipe and cigar smoke. It's a place still somewhat untouched by the hand of modernization, in that its interior is often lit by oil or gas lamps, or fires in the woodstove or fireplace. And, it remains today, as it has always been, a welcoming haven in which to rest for those who enjoy the things that "Trail's End" holds most dear.

As for some insight into the late Montgomery Jackson? To be continued...
fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry: Good to see the rescue dog got reunited with her family. Now it looks like you need to start looking for a dog so the two of you can enjoy "Trail's End," together.
fysh likes this.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM

Larry,

You're right. It's time for a new canine addition, as it's been a couple of years since our old Lab had to be put down and our last setter passed away. I trained them both, something that I've always done with all of our dogs. You see, I grew up with a front-row seat from which to watch my grandfather's training techniques for his own bird dogs, and even the odd "herding" dog or two, and a young "farm kid" couldn't have had a better teacher. My late grandfather had that "gift" for being able to "read" both animals AND people equally well. My only hope is that I, too, boast that same trait-- either by birth or by way of being a "quick study..."

After my grandfather's passing, I "inherited" what remained of his dogs, and they passed on knowledge and techniques to yours truly without me ever being aware of it until later on in life. And, this trend continued with the string of four-legged "let's find some trouble cronies" I met along the way during my visits to "Trail's End." Like my grandfather, the late Montgomery Jackson surrounded himself with dogs-- setters, spaniels, Labrador retrievers and even the occasional "mutt"--and the floors of his cabin and the couches seldom failed to lend comfort to a vast array of canine cohorts-- his, mine and those of friends. To his way of thinking, the dogs were as welcome at "Trail's End" as anyone of the two-legged variety. Hence, the faint but lingering scent of "wet dog" within the walls of the cabin.

So, early next week, the search will begin. In a decided break from previous years, I won't be locked into hours of researching pedigrees or limiting myself to just youngsters. Instead, I intend to be a little more open-minded with my "search parameters," taking a harder look at the dog itself and weighing all of its traits and attributes. This time, I'm praying that "the fates" will be kind rather than cruel, and introduce me to a dog that's a bit like me-- a little long in the proverbial tooth and somewhat weathered around the edges, but still good to go and comfortably at home in the surroundings of that place on the river known as "Trail's End..."
fysh likes this.

Last edited by hairwing530; 06-14-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Jerry: As you probaby know the GF picked up a rescue dog awhile back, I lost it a couple weeks ago and now have it back. This week we take the horses into the vets to have the teeth floated, the sheaths cleaned, vacinated and wormed, while there they had another rescue dog and guess what, the GF wanted to bring it home. Luckily for me she found out it was a nipper so she decided against it. I'm fine with one dog. She wants another dog so they will play together, but we have plenty of neighbor dogs that our dog can play with, besides it is hard enough to keep track of the one we have.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 AM

Come the gathering darkness tonight, I intend to strike a match to the wickes of a lamp or two and soak in the "feel" of Trail's End, just to carry it with me as always, but especially over the next few days. While it's long been a place of great importance and meaning to yours truly, "Trail's End" has sometimes been distant in location, but never far from the heart. This week, I will need it more than ever.

Tomorrow morning, the family and I head south to visit a major cancer center in the state. There, surgery is slated to permanently relieve pressure being exerted on my optical nerves, pressure that has caused short-- 10-15 minutes -- bouts of blindness. Any loss of sight, temporary or not, brings back too many bad recollections of the fact that my second brain tumor rendered me completely blind for five long years!! It's a time in my life that I'd rather not re-visit...

So, if my postings become a little shorter or even "non-existent," please know that it's because I'm on something of a "cyber-leash," and nothing more. And, if you're of the mind to, a prayer or two couldn't hurt...

Be well, my friends, and may you always be blessed with tight lines from the pull of a good fish...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
fysh and Mrtrout like this.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Jerry: As I said in the other thread, you will be in my thoughts and prayers this week, best wishes and a speedy recovery, my friend!
fysh likes this.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Prayers for a speedy recovery Jerry, be well.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry,best wishes for the surgery...and a prompt recovery