The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: In Search of Free America

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
As the title says... We're leaving Colorado. It's becoming New York West, LA East. It's no longer the Free America we've enjoyed. So.. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon? I'd like to hear from you who live there. We love the high altitude thin air, the wildlife, the big sky.. Fishing, firearms freedom, low taxes are key. I'm retiring in September, we're planning on selling our house in the spring. Reccomendations, please.
------------------------------------------
Wyoming has no State income tax. Good luck to you, where ever yo decide to settle.

imxer,
aka:Stuck in CA

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Looks like you guys will have to come to Canada; apparently we are now more "free" than the U.S. I can't resist posting this comic, please forgive me.

Click the image to open in full size.
Yup, Canada has been moving back in the direction of what we used to be, while we are moving in the direction of .... the Soviet Union. Yippeeee! This should be fun.

Not related but the whole crossing on a scale thing made me think of it. I don't remember what comedian said it, but he made a joke many years ago about Michael Jackson and George Hamilton crossing on the color scale. That was many years before Jackson became whiter than my Irish rear end and Hamilton went to spray tanning.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Sorry about that

I'm hoping MagPul might move here now
Who knows...? They probably have it figured out but were waiting for the bills to actually be signed. They've said that they're being actively pursued by Texas abd one of the Carolinas.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Interesting post.

I've had four long conversations with folks (past two weeks) who voiced the same opinion about where they now live. And what's it like to live in your area.

Look at the southern half of Oregon. Just skip Medford, Ashland or Jacksonville.
Oregon is in the mix for sure. We were there, in Eugene, Thanksgiving before last and I really liked it. My wife's sister and family live there. The only thing that concerns me is the reported lack of sunshine. I know there are some big name, big rivers there, how about small stream-away-from-everything fishing?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:11 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'd like to recommend to everyone with an intersest in Or-ee-goan the comedy of Dwight Slade's Weird State CD.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 PM

idnative1948 is on a distinguished road

You don't want to come to Boise. The river is getting too crowded in town, but if you want to drive 45 min to an hour, well then......
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Idaho would be right up there for me (about 20 states in front of Oregon lol).. but I'm biased towards the rockies

10 Best Small Towns in America | Travel News from Fodor's Travel Guides
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Who knows...? They probably have it figured out but were waiting for the bills to actually be signed. They've said that they're being actively pursued by Texas abd one of the Carolinas.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Oregon is in the mix for sure. We were there, in Eugene, Thanksgiving before last and I really liked it. My wife's sister and family live there. The only thing that concerns me is the reported lack of sunshine. I know there are some big name, big rivers there, how about small stream-away-from-everything fishing?
That's just the north half of the State. Once past (south of) Roseburg the annual rainfall is peanuts. Medford's 'average is less than 20 inches, and we're no where near that this 'Season.' Going to be a hard summer as the snow pack is waaaaaay below what it should be.

Fred

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Idaho would be right up there for me (about 20 states in front of Oregon lol).. but I'm biased towards the rockies

10 Best Small Towns in America | Travel News from Fodor's Travel Guides
Interesting to see that Healdsburg, CA lead off the list. Lived there for years (left there to move to So. Oregon to build my vineyards). 4th of July parade would through the whole community and many of the neighborhoods. True farm type 4th. Decorated flat bed truccks, etc.

That old farmer leaning against his 25 year old PU was probably a multimillionaire in the wine business. You could walk the streets at 0300 in perfect safety. Crime rate? There wasn't any.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Crime rate? There wasn't any.
That's how this place used to be. It's still pretty low, but it isn't zero anymore. I lock everything now. When I first moved here you didn't need to lock anything. People left the keys in their cars. Those days are over.