The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
HW, I'm in. PM me your full name/address and I'll post off the cheque tomorrow.

Lost a good friend to similar circumstances a few years back. Packed Church and everyone extoling Mark's accomplishments, all true to the word. Me, I got up and talked about his relationship with his Jack Russel Terrier "Roy." Amazing animal, and the two were never apart. At home, at work, on the river and the interplay with my Yellow Lab Sandy when we're were fishing. Described the first time the two met and it was an instant 'This Is Good!' Launch Mark's Jet Sled and in the two would go, boat touched the beach and the two were off like a shot to 'terrorize' the place.

Sad time, but describing these two's antics had folks actually laughing. A good thing I still think.

Fred
--------------------------------

Fred,
If you haven't already read the piece about a man and his dog, "The Road To Tinkhamptown" by Corey Ford, you might find it worth a look.
Paul
fredaevans likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
--------------------------------

Fred,
If you haven't already read the piece about a man and his dog, "The Road To Tinkhamptown" by Corey Ford, you might find it worth a look.
Paul
Off to Amazon.com.\

Thanks for the heads up.
fae
imxer likes this.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: When The Tables Turn...

Corey Ford was a truly gifted wordsmith, one who wrote a wealth of books during his time on this Earth. He ranks among my all-time favorite authors-- along with the late Gene Hill, Dana Lamb and a host of others --especially for the aforementioned "The Road..." It's been known to cause many a bird-dog lover to shed a tear or two...

Corey Ford also did a fair amount of fly-fishing writing-- both he and Gordon MacQuarrie were upland gunners who fly-fished as well --and a great deal of satire. The previous century was probably the benchmark of the birth of a great many outstanding authors, and I find my book shelves lined with their works. And, there among them all, stand a set of books given to me right after the restoration of my eyesight by a pairing that I miss dearly-- the "Sam & Larry" duo. Needless to say, those books will be treasured for the rest of my days... Jerry, aka hairwing530
imxer and mcnerney like this.

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-25-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
Corey Ford was a truly gifted wordsmith, one who wrote a wealth of books during his time on this Earth. He ranks among my all-time favorite authors-- along with the late Gene Hill, Dana Lamb and a host of others --especially for the aforementioned "The Road..." It's been known to cause many a bird-dog lover to shed a tear or two...

Corey Ford also did a fair amount of fly-fishing writing-- both he and Gordon MacQuarrie were gunners who fly-fished as well --and a great deal of satire. The previous century was probably the benchmark of the birth of a great many outstanding authors, and I find my book shelves lined with their works. And, there among them all, stand a set of books given to me right after the restoration of my eyesight by a pairing that I miss dearly-- the "Sam & Larry" duo. Needless to say, those books will be treasured for the rest of my days... Jerry, aka hairwing530
----------------------------

Jerry

Used to look forward to "The Lower Forty" every month in Field & Stream.

"The Best of Corey Ford" consists of many of them with "The Road -----"
at the end. Have always considered the years between WW1 & 2 the most interesting for writers and guns.
Can not tell you how much knowing your eyesight was restored pleases me.

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 03-24-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

imxer,

When my eyesight was lost to my second brain tumor and the lights went out on my world, it was a bitter pill to swallow, especially after hearing the news that the prospects of sight restoration were very bleak, at best. And, I took it hard, refusing help from those who cared and letting my stubborn pride get in the way. I hid my mid-directed anger and frustration behind the aforementioned pride, and it was nothing short of an ill-advised move on my part.

It also didn't take me long to realize that I needed help... that my adjusting to being blind was necessary if I was to continue the fight against cancer and not alienate those closest to me. So, the better part of my Scot/Irish/Polish stubbornness reared its head, and I adapted to my sightlessness in ways that I'd never dreamed of. In doing so, my other four senses kicked into overdrive, and most days, just the sound of the river or the feel of the current was enough to keep me in balance, so to speak.

Now, I look back on my five years of darkness as something of a blessing. I guess that you could say that powers beyond my comprehension forced me to reflect on the important things in life, and to appreciate them for how special they are. I guess you could say that my blindness opened my eyes...

When the bandages came off after the "miracle surgery" late in '09 and I was again privy to the world around me, I was "awe-struck." It was one of those "game-changing" moments that took some getting used to, being back among the sighted community. I vowed then and hold to that promise now, that I would never take for granted the truly blessed things that flavor my life. Every day with family, friends and acquaintances is a gift, no matter the challenges, and not something to be taken lightly. They who tolerate my shortcomings-- as well as cancer, blindness and "my kids" --all have taught me that. And, if the day ever comes when it becomes obvious that I'm in one of those rare "there's always tomorrow" mindsets, you have my permission to kick me squarely in the backside...

Today, in keeping with an attitude of doing what is right rather than giving in to what is easy, the quest to help out "Sam's" folks continues... Be well, my friends... Jerry, aka hairwing530
imxer and mcnerney like this.

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-27-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 AM

Yesterday, in the midst of having spent many of my waking hours wandering through a woodland of dark days and dealing with far too much death, my own personal "brush-busting" found me breaking into a clearing and getting my bearings again.

The knock at the front door came while the afternoon was getting on toward evening. There, standing in the light of the front porch, were two people-- a young man and woman. I didn't recognize the car, but the man looked familiar in a way that I couldn't quite settle on.

The introduction was brief and to the point... "I don't know if you remember me, but my name is David and I was in your tying class 11 years ago..." Standing there before me was a 14-year old boy now grown into a man that I hadn't seen in over a decade, along with his fiance', Maureen. They were headed back to Ann Arbor after a few days spent touring the northern part of the state, and he'd decided to swing by and say "Hello..."

After inviting them in, the conversation that followed was like rolling back the calendar. Yes, he still tied flies with the same passion he'd shown in class, as the skills would serve him well in what he'd chosen to be his life's profession--pediatric oncology. He's now in med school while Maureen complete's her law school studies, and given his confession that his cancer has been beaten for good, it all was welcome news that pleased me to no end.

The evening was over far too quickly, as Ann Arbor is about a four-hour drive from where I sit. As they rose to leave, David asked a question of sorts that both humbled and honored me, all at the same time. With just a bit of hesitancy, he quietly said "Would you be my best man at our wedding in late May?" It wasn't an option in my mind to say "No..."

With that, my former student and his bride-to-be left for points south, and a thought occurred to me as I watched the tail-lights disappear out of sight. Come May, my "official" title in the wedding may be "the best man," but the true best man will be the one standing there in front of me, reciting his vows...

Even in death, there is life...
Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 AM

Fred,

Your "generosity" arrived yesterday, and I'll have your flies off and running to you at the first of the week. I've already gone over to the monument company and paid another installment on "Sam's" grave marker. Once the stone is acquired-- I'm still about $200 short of the mark --one of my fishing cronies will begin his hand-crafting of the marker. We hope to have it in place before the traditional Trout Opener in late April.

Yesterday, my Better Half and I stopped by the cemetary and visited the graves of our two daughters. It struck me once again how much the two girls are missed in this household. Still, I took some solace in knowing/hoping that "Sam" somehow has found her way to the side of her "Dynamic Duo" buddy, our own late Laramie (aka "Larry"), and praying that she, Laramie and Lauren are proud of what I'm doing...

No father should ever have to bury one child, let alone two within three years time...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM

When I was introduced to the sport of fly fishing, one of my first lessons was that of generosity astream. I learned it by way of my grandfather and "Doc," both men who gladly opened their fly boxes to a stranger when his own choice in flies wasn't getting the job done. It wasn't a "tit for tat" proposition. Rather, it just was the way things were done on the stream.

Today, I was reminded of that lesson, only it was in the "stream of life," rather than on the river. A fellow NAFFF member helped to put me $50 closer to the last $200 needed for "Sam's" marker, and that, my friends, is a debt that I can never fully repay. He knows who he is, and for all that he's done, I publicly thank him from the bottom of my heart.

And, if the fish gods are willing, I'll be able to peddle enough of my stuff to cover the last $150. To fall short is not an option... at least, not one that I easily can live with...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:56 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: When The Tables Turn...

Jerry, put the flies up for 'Action.' PM Ard, Colin, Larry on how to make this happen.

Let's make this WORK FOR EVERY BODY.

fae

My intro to the 2hander was via "Mr. Coles," an old Scot that worked at the same lumber mill as my Father in Ocean Falls, BC. Wood clinker built row boat with some sort of putt-putt out board motor to the mouth of the Bella Colla. Bags of supplies (Whisky for him/Dad??) and tarred (waxed?) canvas tent/tarps. God it could rain there, and not just showers but frickin' down pours.

These guys could find 'dry wood,' or at least build a fire with anything at hand. Fire starter? A flint and steel into fine steel wool. There was some sort of 'exceptional bond' between an age difference of 30 and 60, something. To a 10 - 12 year old. Wet to the core, freezing my butt and 'dry rubbed' with a wool towel and into blankets that had hot bricks around the edges.

Small fire going on under a large 'fly tarp' and dry/warm clothing for me/them the next morning.

Hadn't thought about that for close to 60 years.

fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 03-30-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Add a long forgotten memory..
Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 AM

Fred,

When I think back on the kind of "stuff" that men like my grandfather, "Doc" and the late Montgomery Jackson just did on a daily basis, I'm continually amazed at the level of their self-reliance. The long and the short of it was that they just KNEW things! No matter the job at hand or the challenges it brought, the men of their ilk willingly took them on, almost as if it was second-nature to do so. I thank the Good Lord that I was brought up in the era of "can do," rather than "can't do..."

And, the list of what they "could do" defies concise definition and listing. Sharpen a knife with an old Arkansas stone and oil? No problem... Build a smokehouse to cure their own meats? Easily done... Re-wrap the windings on a loose guide on a fly rod? Piece of cake... Re-build an entire rod, tie some flies and still find time to re-stock a shotgun for a boy while holding down a full-time job? Nothing to it... It's amazing what how talented a group of men that I had the privilege with whom to keep company in my younger years.

By no means am I implying that we don't have some talented "spouts" practicing some of the "old ways" right now. There is an approach afoot to learning and honing the skills of the old days right now, and I couldn't be more pleased. When a craftsman passes on, he often takes his wealth of knowledge to the grave with him-- an incredible waste of lessons learned amidst some of the lost arts. And, for that, I grieve...

Enough maudlin talk for this morning. My heartfelt wishes of tight lines to you, Fred, and all of my NAFFF'ers for their kindnesses and generosity on this Easter Sunday...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
fysh likes this.