The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: So sick of Winter.

Blammo? That's a new one...
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

You and me both Dan. It was 65* today, felt glorious. But supposed to get back into the 40s for monday....last sunday we got 12" of snow...thankfully all the nonsense has melted. Cant wait to move to FL.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default So sick of Winter.

Just get ya a house down here in the south and stay here during winter lol.. Then the problem would be solved!!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the river is starting to open. Amazing that it is because we are still below freezing about 99% of the time.

Last year when the river started to open I posted about what chaoe it is here from ice out till April 14th. This year is no exception. In fact it is the about the busiest I have ever seen it. The boat ramp at Birchdale broke the record for longest line to get a boat in the water. The river is about a mile and a half from highway 11. The line went from the river to highway 11 and around the corner. It was taking up to four hours to get a boat in the water and they were averaging one boat every 2.2 minutes. Do the math on that one.

Friday the temperature when I went to work in the morning at 5:00 AM The temperature was +7° F. At 5:30 AM there were already 100 vehicles in at the Frontier access. To top it off, the boat ramp was covered in at least a foot of ice and shelf ice at the ramp. There was a 2 ½' drop from the ice surface to the water they were shoving boats off. Getting them back out was fun to watch.

We had a backhoe come in Friday at noon and rip the ice off the boat ramp at Frontier, which was in some ways, the ice was better than after they ripped the ice off. They have dropped the river level over fears of run off thanks to the ton of snow we had. That put the water about three feet from the end of the cement pad. At the end of the pad, once the ice went out of the bottom, it left a hole at least two feet deep pretty much the width of the ramp. It's deep enough that if you drop the wheels off it, you land on the trailer frame and rip the axel off the trailer. I have a photo of one that took it clear off.

I shot some video and took a bunch of photos. I may put something on youtube so I can show you guys what the Spring Walleye season is like here. You need to see it to believe it.

On the bright side, I actually got a few casts in today. I took my new 14' Thomas and Thomas and fished for about half an hour off the shelf ice for about an hour. I watched about 25 boats setting near where I was fishing and never saw a fish caught. I had one hit and missed it. It's still to cold for the lake fish to start running the river. Maybe if I get lucky, the fish will run before the 14th, which is the end of the season. I'm worried that because it's been so cold and everything is running late the we will have the fish spawning after opener and that's never a good thing. There are to many people that abuse the fishery when that happens. I'm pretty certain we will still have ice on the lake for opener.

Aaaand it's 27° and snowing right now.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

glad you could finally go out for a ...little while...and cast the new T&TLooks like the end of the nightmare(wintermare) is near
Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It sounds like you've got it made down there Dan, we just received a neat 15" of snow over the past 36 hours and it'll be in the low teens overnight tonight. The good news is that we have plenty of fire wood.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
There is still no sign of the ice going out, but it has to happen some day doesn't it?
Click the image to open in full size.
Hey Dan couldn't agree more. We don't really have a spring here, it just goes from winter to summer pretty much over nite.

Made me think of one of my favorite movie clips.

"Stays long, this high"

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I generally can empathize with complaints of foul weather but we seen to be catching up after a January & February that produced the warmest and most soggy conditions I've seen out at the cabin.

We have an appointment to take the car to Anchorage for new tires today. This means that both the Forrester and the truck have to go because they predict a 3 - 4 hour turn around for the tire job. So....... I got up at 6:30 AM to make coffee and wouldn't you know it, it's snowing again.

I switched on the local radio and quickly learned that there is "a winter weather advisory" in effect from 8:00 AM today until midnight tomorrow. They predict 6 more inches today, up to 3 or 4 overnight , and another 6 - 8 inches on Tuesday. Add that to the overnight temp of 1* and it's hard to feel bad for other parts of the country right now.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dan & Ard... Here's a pic I took for you...to cheer you up....my cherry tree is in blossom...bzzzzzzzzzzz bees are at work
Click the image to open in full size.
Guest1 and thorsten like this.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh JP, what I wouldn't give to see that. We are still butt deep in snow. I tried fishing again after work for a bit. I spent more time dodging ice bergs than fishing though. I did get one Walleye a tad above the 19 ½" slot. So I at least wasn't skunked.

I definetely need to do a video of this Spring Walleye season here. I have shots you would not believe.