The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default So sick of Winter.

It actually got above freezing for a little bit yesterday!!! At 4:30 my vehicle kept bouncing between 32 and 33 F. At 5:15 or so it went up to 36 for about half an hour and dropped back below freezing, but it was so nice while it lasted. The sun was out, no wind...

I went to town and drove down the boat ramp onto the Baudette River, took a left and drove out onto the Rainy River and let the dog run around. I took this picture. It's just upriver of the railroad and car bridges going into Rainy River Ontario. There is still no sign of the ice going out, but it has to happen some day doesn't it?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So sick of Winter.

Come here to fish with JP Dan would have to take antidepressants if my favorite streams were like this...nice pic...think I've already seen that bridge somewhere
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
would have to take antidepressants if my favorite streams were like this
I'm close to needing to take them now. It's not a good sign that I can safely drive around on the river at this time of year. What's really a bad sign is that the lake may very well be iced over for fishing opener on May 11th. It's an early opener this year, and a cold cold Spring. The Walleye will probably be spawning for opener and bad things happen when spawning occurs on the wrong side of opener.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default So sick of Winter.

And I thought I had it bad with temps in the 30-40 range and having to wear layers to go kayak fishing..but I will not even start to complain about that lol.. Hope those rivers get unfroze soon Dan!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I fully understand you. I am so rid of this winter too. It seems that the winter never ends
But maybe we will get a perfect summer as a compensation
Guest1 likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Dan seriously you have to move! You and Ard see more ice and snow then water! I met a guy in the Keys from Minnesota and he said he never heard of Rainy River and didn't want to know a place that cold no matter how good the fishing was! I don't know how you guys do it? The little winter we have here in PA drives me crazy I cant even imagine how crazy you must get!
Made my mind up as soon as the last one finishes college Islamorada will be home. If I want to go trout,salmon ,striper or walleye fishing I can always visit! Screw the cold I LIKE SUNBURN!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I understand what both Dan and theboz are conveying here and truth be known I would rather die of heat exhaustion than hypothermia. However, there is something about winter that I began to miss when I was still living in north central Pennsylvania in the late 90's and early 2000's. When I grew up in PA. we had real winter. It got cold and snowed by Thanksgiving each year and we skated on the rivers & creeks. The snow was generally still in the mountain hollows by mid April when you went up the small creeks fishing. When things began to change I missed the old ways and so was able to adapt readily to Alaskan winters. I have my snow shoes, some X country skis, and warm clothing and I often find myself loving a -10 degree high.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy when the ice breaks up and I can go fish but winter is as much a part of life as spring, summer, and the fall. I like them all (unless there's a flood)

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
winter is as much a part of life as spring, summer, and the fall.
Last Fall gave us a miss. We went from 70 days to below freezing in one day and it never warmed back up. Winter here started last October 4th. I was starting to think Spring was going to do the same. Cold cold cold cold BLAMMO it's Summer! We have had 4 days above freezing though and I honestly think we may have Spring at last!

I was starting to worry that it was going to do like last Fall and just skip a season. 3 months of Winter and 9 months of Winter, I would have really hated that.

I am seriously thinking about moving.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

we had 57 here today........lake is still ice but river is clear

Click the image to open in full size.

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I am seriously thinking about moving.
My advice on that; pick a good salmon & steelhead location
Guest1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;