The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: House Buying in the USA

Thanks guys, some great information and advice. In response to some of the points made.
Both Attorneys are discussing situation today. I have an independent licensed contractor on standby to give me a fix all quote, should I decide to stay in the game.
I have shared the inspectors report with the sellers agent and await a response.

Should have no issues with the loan as I have a more than adequate deposit.

Although it has been completely renovated inside with high quality materials the house was built in 1940, so I guess this may have a bearing on some of the underlying problems.

The house is on the outskirts of the town of Sherman in CT a beautiful area. The wife loves it, another problem but as has been said, keep emotion out of it.
It's is also two miles from the Housatonic river, which I understand has some of the best trout fishing in CT, one of the reasons I looked at the house in the first place

To be continued
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good check list there Eddie. One last point is if you're going to finance part of the purchase best you be in close contact with a Lender now.
fae
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Thanks guys, some great information and advice. In response to some of the points made.
Both Attorneys are discussing situation today. I have an independent licensed contractor on standby to give me a fix all quote, should I decide to stay in the game.
I have shared the inspectors report with the sellers agent and await a response.

Should have no issues with the loan as I have a more than adequate deposit.

Although it has been completely renovated inside with high quality materials the house was built in 1940, so I guess this may have a bearing on some of the underlying problems.

The house is on the outskirts of the town of Sherman in CT a beautiful area. The wife loves it, another problem but as has been said, keep emotion out of it.
It's is also two miles from the Housatonic river, which I understand has some of the best trout fishing in CT, one of the reasons I looked at the house in the first place

To be continued
That whole area is very nice. My wife and I grew up in that area- me in Woodbury, she in Bethlehem. I fished in, and camped by the Housatonic from a very early age (think canvas puptent).

Don't think of a 1940 house as old in New England. When we were first married we lived in a house that was built in 1760.
fredaevans and Eddie O'Neill like this.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Here we go, still in the game.
Just for context, my Attorney is a life long friend of my brother in law. As suggested by a lot of you guys on here I engaged a reputable building contractor ( a very good friend of my Attorney and reputation second to none in the area ) to give me a fix all price.
He visited the property today and was amazed how wrong the house inspectors report was.
Septic aside, which the owner is fixing.
In his opinion there are no major issues with the house, all it needs is a bit of TLC. He told me I should ask for my money back from the housing inspection company as their conclusions were so wrong.

So tonight I'm a lot more comfortable with my position.

Thanks again guys for all the advice, I'll keep you updated on progress.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Good check list there Eddie. One last point is if you're going to finance part of the purchase best you be in close contact with a Lender now.
fae
Already in hand
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Good news. Now, while you're waiting, do you have your Ct fishing license yet? And are you taking advantage of it?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Good news. Now, while you're waiting, do you have your Ct fishing license yet? And are you taking advantage of it?
I am currently in Mass, so not yet, but hopefully very shortly
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good news Eddie, did you ever think you'd be a Yank

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

" Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
fae
Already in hand."

Good Answer! Not involved in Mortgage Lending at this point (long retired) but follow the industry closely. Most lenders are totally 'under water' with incoming paper work. Certain 'skill sets' are so in demand (Underwriter's as an example) the perspective employers will even pay re-location costs to get someone behind the desk.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 PM

It's a done deal I have now moved to Sherman CT. took a bit of doing what with new septic, various repairs, but I'm happy and have an awesome place, three miles from the Housatonic
Even the wife is happy which really does help. Spent the last three days trying to sort out the garden, sorry guys, the yard. The previous owner left their tractor, but I think I might need to get a shiny new one More toysNow comes the painful part, change of address to so many people, new plates for cars, etc etc
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 AM

Thumbs up Re: House Buying in the USA

Good news, good update. A new 'Tractor?????'

WRONG! The old ones have 'Patina.' Having been a 'Farmer' it's damned hard to break a tractor as long as you keep the oil changed. I'll assume a DeeCeL fuel. Engines running and you have a total electrical failure ... machine doen't care. It will keep chugging as long as its got fuel.