The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Idaho Retirement

Put a fork in me, I think it's time to retire. I figure since I'm in relatively good shape and able to ramble around, maybe I should settle down and focus on fishing, tying, hiking, drinking, etc. I spent two weeks last year in northern Idaho fly fishing and I couldn't have been happier. Been doing lots of research and I think Boise is the place for me and the wife. Boise was highly recommended by various online sources due to low crime rate, cost and quality of living, housing costs. Close enough to the city yet a day trip to good water. I'll be living off investments and military pension so I think it's feasible. Just need to stop drinking expensive scotch. So the purpose for posting is to get your input on Boise, Idaho for retirement or any other locations. Any of you live there? Where in Boise is a good place to buy for around $250k? Anything squirrelly about Boise I should know?

Lastly, I'm in Kandahar and was going to buy myself a Towee boat for Christmas when I return. Any places to use it in southern Idaho? I've always wanted one and figure why not but if there's no water for it, maybe I'll buy myself something else or save the money. Hell, I'm just going to buy it anyways.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idaho Retirement

Kandahar to Boise, Idaho. Now there 'Culture Shock looing for a place to happen.

One of the best places for an over view (besides here) is the Local Chamber of Commerce. Never talked to one yet that wasn't extremely helpful.

Fred

Edit: Don't worry about where to go boating in Idaho. One other place you might want to take a look at is Kalispell, Idaho.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ashton, ID. The Henry's Fork runs right through it. South Fork Snake to the south and the Teton River right next door. Doesn't get any better. Oh, yeah, Madison River and Henry's Lake to the north. Close to Rexburg and Idaho Falls (Idaho's 2nd largest city) even less crime than Boise and not near as populated. Cost of living is low compared to Boise.

Kelly.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Innes, I would'nt leave Boise for nothing. Great place to live with four season weather. You can buy a nice house in Meridian (suburb of Boise). Fishing is great, only takes me 1 hour for my favorite fishing hole. If you snow ski your 30 minutes from the slopes. good luck
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the retirement! I think we have at least one member that lives in Boise, so hopefully he will see your request for information. I've only been through there once in the summer on the bikes headed to Bend, OR and boy was it hot once we dropped off the hill coming into town. I was going to suggest that SE Idaho would be better for fishing, but then remembers that Kelly (kglissmeyer1) and his son have caught all the trout in that part of the state.

Update: Doing a search on Boise I found a couple guys that live there, you might send them a PM requesting local info.
Greetings from Idaho

Intro

Hello from Southern Idaho

Hello from Boise, ID

Steelhead coming to Boise River

Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Ashton, ID. The Henry's Fork runs right through it. South Fork Snake to the south and the Teton River right next door. Doesn't get any better. Oh, yeah, Madison River and Henry's Lake to the north. Close to Rexburg and Idaho Falls (Idaho's 2nd largest city) even less crime than Boise and not near as populated. Cost of living is low compared to Boise.

Kelly.
+1 Not sure how livable the winters are, but the summer and fall is off the hook.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
+1 Not sure how livable the winters are, but the summer and fall is off the hook.
Boise is definitely the 'banana-belt' of Idaho with moderate winters, but I live in southeast Idaho and the winters are bearable. Besides, they opened up the Henry's Fork to year-round fishing so winter works!

Best of luck with your decision. Smaller towns (not big cities), farming community and quiet, quiet quiet, as well as quite laid back in southeast Idaho.

Kelly.

P.S.: We haven't caught all of the fish, just most of them...
mcnerney likes this.