The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Fishing From The Sidelines...

I won't be fishing today, even though this last Saturday in April again marks the traditional "Trout Opener" here in Michigan. Instead, I will be sitting on the sidelines, watching the few driftboats that will work their way down the river and doing it from either the riverside porch, or the front steps of "Trail's End."

Why? Well, after yesterday's "flotilla" release, I decided to take an hour or so and walk the property of the late Montgomery Jackson. It was during my wanderings that I encountered a 10-foot strand of rusty, old barbed wire, strung ankle-high across a worn and frequently-used trail and very well disguised. "Encountered," as in ankles met wire, I lost my balance, and I hit the ground-- hard --milli-seconds later.

The damages? Cuts to the ankles and lower legs, further damage to an already "iffy" left shoulder, and a lot of bruising and cuts to my torso. Had it not been for the fleece jacket I was wearing, I might be writing this from a hospital bed, as the jacket deflected the sharpened ends of some tree toppings and kept them from cutting any deeper.

I will miss not being astream this morning, as the weather-- and the river --are shaping up nicely for the "Opener"-- 63 degrees with light winds and river levels approaching the norm for this time of year. But, the realities of taking a hard run at 60 and my slower recovery time from health issues past are rearing their ugly heads. So, I'm bowing to the concerns of family and my "cronies..."

If you wet a line today, drop me a note with some "fish talk" in it. After all, vicarious fishing is better than no fishing at all... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fishing From The Sidelines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
I won't be fishing today, even though this last Saturday in April again marks the traditional "Trout Opener" here in Michigan. Instead, I will be sitting on the sidelines, watching the few driftboats that will work their way down the river and doing it from either the riverside porch, or the front steps of "Trail's End."

Why? Well, after yesterday's "flotilla" release, I decided to take an hour or so and walk the property of the late Montgomery Jackson. It was during my wanderings that I encountered a 10-foot strand of rusty, old barbed wire, strung ankle-high across a worn and frequently-used trail and very well disguised. "Encountered," as in ankles met wire, I lost my balance, and I hit the ground-- hard --milli-seconds later.

The damages? Cuts to the ankles and lower legs, further damage to an already "iffy" left shoulder, and a lot of bruising and cuts to my torso. Had it not been for the fleece jacket I was wearing, I might be writing this from a hospital bed, as the jacket deflected the sharpened ends of some tree toppings and kept them from cutting any deeper.

I will miss not being astream this morning, as the weather-- and the river --are shaping up nicely for the "Opener"-- 63 degrees with light winds and river levels approaching the norm for this time of year. But, the realities of taking a hard run at 60 and my slower recovery time from health issues past are rearing their ugly heads. So, I'm bowing to the concerns of family and my "cronies..."

If you wet a line today, drop me a note with some "fish talk" in it. After all, vicarious fishing is better than no fishing at all... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Wow, sorry to hear about your injuries. Hope you heal fast and completely.
Meanwhile, why not call the sheriff and document the barbed-wire trap?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Get well soon Jerry.....sounds like a good day for the savenelli and bowl of dunhill, or maybe some orlik golden sliced......what do you say????

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 04-27-2013, 02:18 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Very sorry to hear! Hope you mend quickly and completely. Jon
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry: Sorry to hear about your mishap and the missing of the season opener, but hopefully you will heal quickly and get out fishing soon!

Larry

Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 PM

streamhound is on a distinguished road

Hope you heal soon and can get back to the water
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Guys,

Thanks for your kind words about my "wounds from the woods." Much appreciated. And, Chechem... I'd report the wire, if I thought any good would come out of it. But, it wouldn't. Such "booby-trapping" goes on far too frequently up here. So, I did the next best thing yesterday afternoon... I took my old lineman's cutters out and took care of the problem myself. Then, I opened the door to "Trail's End," poured a wee dram from the dusty bottles still lining the late Montgomery Jackson's "liquor shelf," and grabbed a seat on the porch to watch the river activity down below.

As it often is with the "Opener," there were drift boats, riverboats and a few wading anglers who all passed by in front of the place, heading downstream. As the day began getting on toward late afternoon, I noted a lone angler working upstream, carefully wading the shallow side of the horseshoe bend to work the undercut bank on the opposite side and casting a beautiful loop with a tight casting stroke. In the span of about 150 feet of wading, two fish came to hand and were properly released for return back to their holding areas.

Then, the angler in question did the unexpected and climbed out of the river, swapped the rod end around to trail behind undamaged, and followed the path toward the porch. As the weathered old hat came off, the sandy blonde hair cascaded down past her shoulders, and the recognition was immediate and as warming as the aforementioned "wee dram." Our youngest daughter, Jesse, had decided that classes could wait, and that she was not going to miss the "Opener," after all.

I realized two things in that moment-- that my wife and I had raised some good kids, and that Dear Old Dad just might have to go back to "casting school," just to keep up this year. I also noted that I really didn't mind the "sideline seat," after all...

Tight lines, everybody... Jerry, aka hairwing530
fysh, jpbfly and littledavid123 like this.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 AM

Watching the tail-lights of Jesse's school-bound SUV disappear from sight at 5:00 am this morning (she has finals to study for), I had one of those strictly "Dad" moments of worrying that she'd be able to dodge the deer herds she would encounter on the four-hour trip back to Ann Arbor. "Moms" don't have the market cornered on "worry," as Dads have their share of concerns as well.

As I closed the door and noted Jesse's wading boots still drying on the wader rack, the fly-fishing "Dad" kicked in, the one who was as proud of his daughter as a Dad can be, the same one who had just as good a time watching one of "his girls" work the water with no shortage of skill and go at her fly-fishing in all the right ways. She pulled up line when a riverboat approached, and even shared a few of her own "ties" with a fellow angler who was coming up empty on every cast, a few hundred yards downstream of Jesse. In that moment alone, she did us all proud...

Someone asked me once if I ever regretted the fact that I had no sons-- only four beautiful daughters. "Nope" came out of my mouth with a speed equal to that of the traveling velocity of light. Not once in my life have I ever bemoaned not having a son. After all, our daughters all have had their mother's beauty coupled with my love for all things "outdoors"-- especially fly-fishing and fly-tying, and upland bird hunting. And, coming on the heels of a weekend spent just watching Jesse handle herself astream, I am more sure of things than ever before...

Besides, how many "going on 20-years old" girls do you know who'd leave college and travel four hours just to spend Opening weekend fishing with Dear Old Dad? The kid is a keeper...
fysh and jpbfly like this.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry: That was a great story about your daughter, thanks for sharing!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM

streamhound is on a distinguished road

Great story and sounds like a great kid. You did well "dad"
mcnerney likes this.