The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By popperhopper
  • 2 Post By rusty 54

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Mad River Ohio, trout in June?

I'm may be heading to my nephews graduation at the beginning of June. Their home is close to the Mad River. Will this water hold any trout at that time or am I going to be focusing more on whatever warm water species are around?

They do stock this section with brown trout and did about a month ago.

Anyone have any info would be great!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mad River Ohio, trout in June?

In June the Browns and Brookies will be a little harder to catch. (the water warms and the levels tend to drop some. Makes the fish that much more wary). Streamers and nymphs will be the easiest bet. The MAD offers some pretty good cold water fishing for Ohio.

Running streamers will also get you into the Bass.

Also on a side note the Brookies usually keep to the headwaters. Browns are stocked in the 6 to 8in range regularly. Access point are easiest around bridges.

Now spring and fall is prime dryfly season on the MAD.

Have fun!
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

I have a nephew graduating down that way in June, too. I have fished it a couple of times with varying success. I remember getting into a mess of browns on caddis near a bridge. And I remember a day of much wading and driving and no fish. Mad River Outfitter in Columbus has reports on their site. I'm trying to remember where we found a map of accesses. If it comes to me, I'll let you know.
jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:25 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks Gents. I'll check out MRO in Columbus. Streamers it is. Will probably sneak in at a bridge somewhere.

Assuming the water is warm enough to wet wade...full waders in June will suck.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

MRO is an excellent shop. I have not been there, but I frequently purchase from them. Excellent customer service and selection. If my travels take me to Columbus I'm surely going to stop in the shop.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I'm may be heading to my nephews graduation at the beginning of June. Their home is close to the Mad River. Will this water hold any trout at that time or am I going to be focusing more on whatever warm water species are around?

They do stock this section with brown trout and did about a month ago.

Anyone have any info would be great!

I have fished the Mad several times and had decent results on a river that is quite pressured. Still, I will PM you some of my favorite locations (bridge intersections), where I have caught Browns.

Streamers are not bad but I would suggest a dry dropper set up with a terrestrial + a small BH nymph.